The Student Room Group

Could I get into Cambridge?

Okay, talking academics:
I got 6 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's in GCSE
I've almost completed my AS exams and based on them so far, I think I could get over 90% in chemistry and over 90% in physics. Maths and further maths are debatable - some of the exams were bad, others are good, and I have a couple more to go. But in general, I think I'm still guaranteed over 80% in both, (maybe borderline 90%, but that's me being optimistic). I'm taking geography as well, but I don't really care about it.
So yeah, I don't know whether this is enough. I'm hoping to study natural sciences - astrophysics, but I'm borderline giving up on aiming for Cambridge because I feel my bad maths exams screwed my chances up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm, if Maths isn't over 90, I'd really advise not applying given that you're considering NatSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gloria97
Okay, talking academics:
I got 6 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's in GCSE
I've almost completed my AS exams and based on them so far, I think I could get over 90% in chemistry and over 90% in physics. Maths and further maths are debatable - some of the exams were bad, others are good, and I have a couple more to go. But in general, I think I'm still guaranteed over 80% in both, (maybe borderline 90%, but that's me being optimistic). I'm taking geography as well, but I don't really care about it.
So yeah, I don't know whether this is enough. I'm hoping to study natural sciences - astrophysics, but I'm borderline giving up on aiming for Cambridge because I feel my bad maths exams screwed my chances up.

At my school they don't encourage us to apply to Cambridge unless our UMS average for our three A2 choices is comfortably over 93. Although it must statistically happen I don't know of anyone who got in with less. Most are between 95 and 97 in their top three subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd definitely apply, but you'd really need maths to be above 90% to have a good chance with PhysNatSci. There's no point worrying about it now though, you really can't tell what UMS you got until results day, I know that from experience.
You might want to consider a different subject as well, one that is less competitive to get into and less dependent on maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending