The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It is a very very competitive course, I think they have 20+ applications per place for English Literature. Your chances will be just as great as everyone elses really, you're strong academically, and if you've got a strong reference and personal statement then you'll be in good stead. Give it a go, you've got nothing to loose in applying! Your guess is as good as anyones as to whether you'll get an offer or not, as no one knows what goes on in the Edinburgh admissions department :rolleyes:

Well done on your results, you've exceeded your predictions by loads! Did you apply to uni this year?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of perhaps doing a joint course with history and Eng Lit. I did apply this year, but Edinburgh rejected me with my ABB, they said because i had deferred entry! My first choice was Leeds, and i got the place, but feel that Edinburgh may be better!
I heard that Edinburgh reject automatically for deferred English Lit because there are so many applicants that its hardly fair if they put aside loads of places for gap year students. My friend fell into the same trap, he applied for lit and they rejected him for the same reason. It does actually say in the Eng lit details though, and in the prospectus, you just have to look for it. Its a policy which makes sense, but its also really stupid as they could be rejecting the best candidates!

Maybe you should email the department and see what they say? As you don't want to reject Leeds, then not get any offers you want for next year, esspecially as Lit and History are very competitive courses. In 2004 the website says 227 people applied, and 77 offers were made.

http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/AdmissionsStatistics/hss/EnglishLiteratureHistory.htm
Thanks again for your time, i have emailed the department, the humanities and social sciences, and look forward to their reply. The statistics do show how competitive it is, but i wonder, as the requirements are supposidly only BBB, how many of the candidates are top end? are you at uni at the mo?
Reply 5
A lot (if not all) this speculation about the selection for lit at edinburgh is not true.

I am from the South of England, and was offered a 2007 deferred place for Literature and am currently on my gap year going travelling. I was predicted AAA and got AAB. I would say go for it, its something of a lottery but they don't absouletly exclude anyone.

Having said that think carefuly about Leeds. That was my insurance (AAB), and offers a department which is only slightly inferior, in the end i plumped for Edinburgh for the prestige value amongst other things.

Latest

Trending

Trending