The Student Room Group

Urgent- need help with maths question

the last question. I've done it twice, and last time I got 15 when the answer was 14 (basically I'm getting 1 degree more each time). It says round to the nearest whole number. What am I doing wrong?

Someone else please attempt this question and try to explain to me where I'm failing?

thank you

Scroll to see replies

1+1 = windows.

sorry I can't help loool good luck with your exam.
Original post by mickel_w
the last question. I've done it twice, and last time I got 15 when the answer was 14 (basically I'm getting 1 degree more each time). It says round to the nearest whole number. What am I doing wrong?

Someone else please attempt this question and try to explain to me where I'm failing?

thank you

Are you rounding wrong?

What method are you using? I would just find the whole angle and the lower one using SOHCAHTOA and then just takeaway (remember to store both numbers in your memory to avoid rounding errors.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Work out AC, work out AD. Now use the Cosine rule and rearrange to fine x :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Yahhia
1+1 = windows.

sorry I can't help loool good luck with your exam.

images+1.jpg
I get 13.43 so rounded to nearest whole number = 13
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the answer? I got 13? :/
Original post by Old_Simon
I get 13.43

Yeah, same here. But apparently the answer is 14? (Rounding to the nearest whole number?)
the answer given appears to be wrong
Answer - 13.43
Round down = 13
13.43..... is the correct accurate answer
but i think that mymaths (guessing where you got this question from) rounds every number during the process so you will get 14.47.... which rounds to 14
If you got an answer of 13.43 then why would you round UP if 13.43 < 13.5 ?
Original post by DragonSlayer666
but i think that mymaths (guessing where you got this question from) rounds every number during the process so you will get 14.47.... which rounds to 14

Well mymaths is wrong then. We are invited to round the answer not round it all as we go along.
Reply 13
Original post by Arithmeticae
Are you rounding wrong?

What method are you using? I would just find the whole angle and the lower one using SOHCAHTOA and then just takeaway (remember to store both numbers in your memory to avoid rounding errors.)

Original post by donutellme
Work out AC, work out AD. Now use the Cosine rule and rearrange to fine x :smile:

donutellme - yes, you are right - it can be worked out by that method, but this lesson is purely on SOHCAHTOA trigonometry, assuming you don't yet know what the cosine rule is. Therefore, there must be another way to solve this.

I did it your method and the answer is right though;

worked out both hypotenuses with pythagoras.

/ = over, divided by

cos CAD = 20.74246851^2+22.82542442^2-5.5^2/2xbxc

= 921/946.9112945 = 0.9726359854

then inverse cos of answer = 13.4 = 13

arithmeticae - it's definitely not a problem with the rounding. I keep all values the same in my calc (don't round off until the end).

And yes, as donutellme said it can be worked out with the cosine rule - but as i said, this lesson is just on basic trigonometry, assuming you don't know about the cosine rule. Can you spot another method through which the answer can be worked out here?

I assumed angle CAD = angle DAB, as they share 2 equal sides, but my answers are off by 1 degree.
Original post by DragonSlayer666

I don't ever remember an incident where MyMaths had rounded every number in the process since it is very well known that you should never round before your final answer.

And yes, as donutellme said it can be worked out with the cosine rule - but as i said, this lesson is just on basic trigonometry, assuming you don't know about the cosine rule. Can you spot another method through which the answer can be worked out here?

I assumed angle CAD = angle DAB, as they share 2 equal sides, but my answers are off by 1 degree.

That last line is completely wrong.

Work out the whole angle by considering the large right angled triangle with adjacent 20cm and opposite 11cm.

Then, work out the lower angle by considering the right angled triangle with adjacent 20cm and opposite 5.5cm.

Finally, take these two angles away.
(edited 9 years ago)
donutellme - yes, you are right - it can be worked out by that method, but this lesson is purely on SOHCAHTOA trigonometry, assuming you don't yet know what the cosine rule is. Therefore, there must be another way to solve this.

/ = over, divided by

arithmeticae - it's definitely not a problem with the rounding. I keep all values the same in my calc (don't round off until the end).

oh my goodness no no no

CAD does not equal DAB at all.
Reply 17
i got 14

/ = over, divided by

In that case, find BAC and subtract BAD.
Reply 19
your meant to use sin cos tan?, we got opposite and adjacent, we use TOA. put in calc tan-1 then (11/20)= 28.81. Divide that by 2 = 14/.4 to nearest whole number =14?

Quick Reply

Latest