The Student Room Group

studs/spikes to deter homeless people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silverbolt
I see your point and its a very good one.

Tbh if i lived in those flats - id leave him be, hes not actually in my way - and hes not exactly in the doorway of my actual domicile.

But you are male and young. Do you think a woman or an elderly person of either gender would be of the same opinion?
Original post by nulli tertius
But you are male and young. Do you think a woman or an elderly person of either gender would be of the same opinion?

Their opinion is of lesser importance.
I don't see the problem. It's very sad that people are sleeping rough, but it's not the job of a home owner to provide a doorway for the homeless to sleep in. It's not their fault that people are homeless.
Reply 83
Original post by Huskaris
And bus shelter benches are angled steeply downwards so that people can't sleep in them or have armrests in them.

The Guardian really is just as farcical than the daily mail.

Don't you think that these spikes are just part of an array of street items specifically designed to deter the homeless, as you have already mentioned? We have to build sheltered housing for the homeless and then we wouldn't have to position your bus stop seat at an uncomfortable angle.
Original post by bertstare
Emotional response to a pretty reasonable way of stopping a homeless person (who may be drug addicted, violent, diseased, you have no way of knowing) sleeping right outside your private residence where you and your family live. Anyone who has a problem with this needs to reevaluate their lives

it just seems especially bad because it's hostile looking spikes, you see them there and the reason they were installed is self evident.

if the alcove had been bricked over to make a 'meter room for a potential future eco friendly solar/wind generation project - installation date tbc' the grauniad would have been looking for someone to give a medal to.

tbh it must look bad to the residents walking past too - it might be better than having a rough sleeper outside their door but seeing those spikes is going to make them think about rough sleepers and their possible drug use/violence/diseases when they would probably rather not. They're now living in a neighborhood where metal spikes sticking out of the ground are necessary.
Original post by silverbolt
I already said it wouldnt happen where i am, there are no homeless where i live.

Why dont the residents call the police if they wont move on? Putting spikes down is just cruel. Many of those people just want somewhere to sleep out of the worst of the elements.

The police in most London boroughs won't come to remove a homeless person if they are not inside the building, if they are just sleeping and not obstructing anything generally they won't even make a trip unless they so happen to be on patrol at that very vicinity which would be a rare occasion.
Reply 86
I think this idea is ridiculous. We're supposed to be a modern, forward thinking country, and putting spikes in the groun d gives the impression that we are going back to medievil times.
Original post by Green Marble
Deport all foreign homeless. Able bodied homeless can should be interned into work houses and mentally ill patients and the disabled can be interned in institutions

And you can be sent to another planet. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending