The Student Room Group

Transferring from Nursing

Hi I am currently in my first year of adult placement and am on my second placement at the minute. I have enjoyed both placements and my training so far but for quite a while now ive also been having some serious doubts that nursing is the career for me. At the beginning of the programme I was enroled on mental health nursing but feeling unprepared and anxious about placements and going into such a difficult area I swapped to adult nursing. I still feel I would like a career somewhere in mental health services I just don't think I want to be a nurse anymore.

I have been to an open day at UWE today as im interested in transferring to Psychology with criminology. The course sounded really interesting and now I am more determined that thats what I would like to do.
I am wondering what completion of my first year of adult nursing would give me? someone told me id get 150 ucas point... which I need as I only got 240 Ucas points and got into uni through my colleges heading higher scheme.

Its a really complex time for me at the moment as I have a lot to think about and big decisions to make so any advice and guidance would be much appreciated!!
Original post by megga9272
Hi I am currently in my first year of adult placement and am on my second placement at the minute. I have enjoyed both placements and my training so far but for quite a while now ive also been having some serious doubts that nursing is the career for me. At the beginning of the programme I was enroled on mental health nursing but feeling unprepared and anxious about placements and going into such a difficult area I swapped to adult nursing. I still feel I would like a career somewhere in mental health services I just don't think I want to be a nurse anymore.

I have been to an open day at UWE today as im interested in transferring to Psychology with criminology. The course sounded really interesting and now I am more determined that thats what I would like to do.
I am wondering what completion of my first year of adult nursing would give me? someone told me id get 150 ucas point... which I need as I only got 240 Ucas points and got into uni through my colleges heading higher scheme.

Its a really complex time for me at the moment as I have a lot to think about and big decisions to make so any advice and guidance would be much appreciated!!

Hi, I believe you won't receive any UCAS points from your degree. However, the university would look at your marks (like 2:1 if you want to transfer to other London Universities), they would also look at your credits (they require 120 credits at year 1, I believe).

Have you contacted the admission team of UWE? I think you would go back to year 1, since your transferring to a different academic discipline.

Hope this helps :smile:
I don't think that you can use anything to carry over to a different university. If the two courses were the same, then maybe you could jump to year two or something, but very unlikely. It will be a case of withdrawing, and then applying for the other course I believe. You should also think about the student loan situation as if you have had one this will need paying back before you can take another out. Also, you may be required to pay back any NHS bursary money that you have received due to not finishing the course. In short, it could be a large financial as well as academic decision that you take, and I would research the implications thoroughly before jumping ship.
Original post by Ironmike
I don't think that you can use anything to carry over to a different university. If the two courses were the same, then maybe you could jump to year two or something, but very unlikely. It will be a case of withdrawing, and then applying for the other course I believe. You should also think about the student loan situation as if you have had one this will need paying back before you can take another out. Also, you may be required to pay back any NHS bursary money that you have received due to not finishing the course. In short, it could be a large financial as well as academic decision that you take, and I would research the implications thoroughly before jumping ship.

I think you might be right. I did have a friend who transferred from UCL doing Biological Science to Economics in LSE. They asked a 2i in all of her 1st year modules and (practically, a 2i overall).

She did repeat the 1st year, obviously since it was a totally different subject - but they considered her 1st year degree as an entry requirement.

With regards to the funding, I don't know about NHS, but with student loans, she doesn't need to pay anything - yet, when she transfers. It will just be carried through her overall loan.
Yes, if you have completed the first year these credits should be taken into account in terms of your ability to study at degree level. Transferring is very common and probably will not be a problem. Hope you are sorted and good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest