The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who hates coursework?

... and prefers exams?

I get A*s in many exams but have rarely got more than an A in coursework. It just annoys me how it is so much writing and worth so little in the GCSE but also irks me that if I get a 'low A*' then the coursework may make it an A overall... grrr.

I seem to be the only one happy about the Speaking to be dropped from English GCSE... because I got a B in it, and the exam is now 60%, but nonetheless many of my reading/ 'spoken language' courseworks are borderline As. I'd have to get a moderately high A* in the exam to make up for that.

My least favourite coursework has to be Science. So much writing and so pointless, there is 0 scientific knowledge required at all, it might as well be an English assessment (or maths, because you have to work out the average of the 'results'), and it's a shame because science is my favourite.

I feel like I'm the only one who would actually do better if there was no controlled assessment!
Reply 1
Original post by bj1
... and prefers exams?

I get A*s in many exams but have rarely got more than an A in coursework. It just annoys me how it is so much writing and worth so little in the GCSE but also irks me that if I get a 'low A*' then the coursework may make it an A overall... grrr.

I seem to be the only one happy about the Speaking to be dropped from English GCSE... because I got a B in it, and the exam is now 60%, but nonetheless many of my reading/ 'spoken language' courseworks are borderline As. I'd have to get a moderately high A* in the exam to make up for that.

My least favourite coursework has to be Science. So much writing and so pointless, there is 0 scientific knowledge required at all, it might as well be an English assessment (or maths, because you have to work out the average of the 'results'), and it's a shame because science is my favourite.

I feel like I'm the only one who would actually do better if there was no controlled assessment!

Controlled assessments are an easy way to secure marks, they don't require much knowledge, simply a bit of effort, so provided you put in a bit of effort they should boost your grade.
I seem to do worse in coursework too so I think I prefer exams and coursework annoys me too with all the writing :five:
I think it depends on what the coursework is, I hated speaking when I did english, I just hate talking in front of people, but for the three sciences we did controlled assessments which I found much better as you had time to prepare for it but it was done under exam conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest