The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nialls33
I have also been accepted to Exeter for 2015. Just waiting on all the relivant CRB and medical checks to be returned.

Would be nice to hear from people who are going to Exeter for Medical Imaging this year.

Ive firmed Exeter!
What happens to empty spaces in the courses as people drop out?
[QUOTE="weevilspongebob;55539411"]What happens to empty spaces in the courses as people drop out?[/QUOTE

I know that people can drop out before the course starts and thats where clearing comes in. I don't think the uni can do anything about if a student were to drop out during the course. Thats about 50k from the tax payer thrown in the bin hence why we have to attend interviews so that students can show that they are absolutely committed to radiography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have BCE in English Lit, Psychology ans bio. I am thinking about declining my Psych unconditional offer from derby and applying for radiography through Extra. however I am worried I will be rejected as I have alreadg been rejected from derby bcu ad Sheffield hallam due to my low grades. Can I count on clearing? Or will o be rejeted in clearing too if I don't get a B in bio cos I doubt I will. helpppppp :'( Is it worth the risk declining my psych offer? ignore typos I cba. so stressed
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
Clearing is worth a shot :smile: Unis sometimes need to fill places so will accept slightly lower grades xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are amazing really appreciate your reply Thank you. First time I have felt hopeful all day :-)
Question for current student radiographer and newly qualified ones:

Hi guys, can anyone give me an idea of what time off you got over the summer please? For example did your course/placement officially ended at the end of June and restart mid-August, or were you free between June and July or just July?

I am basically trying to organise a girls holiday well in advance as soon as the flights are released and I appreciate all universities are different, but I wondered whether there was a specific month that that I could rely on not being either in uni or on placement during?

Any help appreciated x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3506
Original post by weevilspongebob
What happens to empty spaces in the courses as people drop out?

They go wasted. Unless somebody drops down because they've deferred/failed a year no one takes the spot.
Original post by FXX
They go wasted. Unless somebody drops down because they've deferred/failed a year no one takes the spot.

That is so unfair! people who didn't get on the course could fill the gaps instead of waiting another year to apply:frown:
Are there any courses i can do to give myself an advantage when applying for radiography. Maybe a uni course or volunteering somewhere? I really need to get onto the course!! I will do whatever it takes but i am still worried about my biology grade truth be told.
Reply 3509
Original post by agentdalecooper
I did, they rejected me. They were my first interview and it didn't go so well :colondollar:

That is exactly what happened with me. I was confused as to why I was rejected. Thankfully got into Derby Uni, which was a tougher interview.😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. Could i have some help please?!I have found a Health and Social care foundation course at Coventry uni. Is it worth doing it? Will it give me an advantage when applying for radiography? I can't think of anything else other than volunteering with the NHS and applying through clearing. I assume if i apply through UCAS extra i will just be rejected as my current grades are below entry requirements hence why i am retaking,or should i try and apply through ucas extra?
Reply 3511
That is so unfair! people who didn't get on the course could fill the gaps instead of waiting another year to apply:frown:

If you could start half way through the year it would be a 2.5 year course.
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Question for current student radiographer and newly qualified ones:

Hi guys, can anyone give me an idea of what time off you got over the summer please? For example did your course/placement officially ended at the end of June and restart mid-August, or were you free between June and July or just July?

I am basically trying to organise a girls holiday well in advance as soon as the flights are released and I appreciate all universities are different, but I wondered whether there was a specific month that that I could rely on not being either in uni or on placement during?

Any help appreciated x

What uni are you hoping to go to as I have a draft of the Cumbria (Lancaster) timetable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. Could i have some help please?!I have found a Health and Social care foundation course at Coventry uni. Is it worth doing it? Will it give me an advantage when applying for radiography? I can't think of anything else other than volunteering with the NHS and applying through clearing. I assume if i apply through UCAS extra i will just be rejected as my current grades are below entry requirements hence why i am retaking,or should i try and apply through ucas extra?

Most uni's don't accept health and social care so you'd be best phoning the uni's directly and asking them whether it would help with your application or if they'd accept it etc.
I volunteered with my local brownies pack, did voluntary work and fundraising for the teenage cancer trust, fairtrade and ty hafan and did work experience in radiotherapy and radiography departments.. they seemed to like that. Try volunteering with charities or with places such as elderly care homes, brownies/scouts groups etc and try and get as much work experience in a radiology department as you can.
Can you apply through extra and then clearing or does it not work like that? (I don't understand how extra works sorry). You could try one or two uni's through extra and if that doesn't work, then try clearing as a final resort?
Original post by Access_Student
What uni are you hoping to go to as I have a draft of the Cumbria (Lancaster) timetable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that, Leeds or Bradford. I know Teesside for example has a long summer but they are an exception. What period does Cumbria close for the summer between?
(edited 8 years ago)

Just a thought but can you stay on at college another year? You may have to pay, but it's cheaper than a wasted three years at uni doing something you don't really want to do. I know you don't want to, but this time last year I was in a similar situation, my AS biology result was a disaster and I thought my chance had gone. I reviewed my options, got in touch with my 6 preferred universities all of whom confirmed they would accept Applied Science ALevel or BTEC. I have done the ALevel in a year and got several offers. This was based on no AS result for Applied Science and a very dodgy AS for Biology.

I wish I had just done Applied Science from the beginning! Another year sounds a long time now, but it gives you chance to get some really good work experience either paid or voluntary and put in a really strong application nice and early in September/October. If you don't have good work experience now and not great results I would guess your chances of getting in through clearing would be somewhat slim.

I personally wouldn't bother with a Health and Social Care uni course either. Like some of the other posters said work experience and volunteering gives your application an edge. I had the essential radiography experience as well as a much longer placement in lots of different departments at the local hospital.

Wish you the best of luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for that, Leeds or Bradford. I know Teesside for example has a long summer but they are an exception. What period does Cumbria close for the summer between?

They have drafted the 4 week of May off and the 4 week of Aug off. None of the holidays are in line with school holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're over 19 (i think) you could take an access course, I'm a mature student and did mine through distance learning whilst working. The good thing with distance learning is you can complete it as quickly as you are able. The structure of the modules may suit you better than A Levels and be more like university learning too. I also volunteered at my local hospital in RDU which went down well at my interview. Good luck!

Edited to add that for radiography universities seem to prefer the science aspect of the course and there are some foundation degrees in Health science which are better than social care for admissions. Saying that though my access course is a health and social care one with physics modules on medical imaging.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Access_Student
They have drafted the 4 week of May off and the 4 week of Aug off. None of the holidays are in line with school holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for responding :smile:

I didn't expect that though...I knew you wouldn't get weeks and weeks off but I didn't expect a month off, 2 months in, a month off.

Maybe I will have to defer the holiday booking.....
Thank you for responding :smile:

I didn't expect that though...I knew you wouldn't get weeks and weeks off but I didn't expect a month off, 2 months in, a month off.

Maybe I will have to defer the holiday booking.....

I know I was surprised this is a pic of what they sent me
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest