The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi, I am thinking of doing Radiography starting in 2015 and I was wandering how hard the course is? Also, I heard that most radiographers are women so does that mean that men are less likely to get a job as a radiographer? Also, I don't think I will be able to move out of London so are the courses for Radiography in London universities i.e City, St George's, London South Bank just as good as the courses in other universities?
Reply 61
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Anyone know of any places in london that do work experience placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lewisham hospital, Guys, Queen Elizabeth and St Georges.
Reply 62
Original post by mat1996
Hi, I am thinking of doing Radiography starting in 2015 and I was wandering how hard the course is? Also, I heard that most radiographers are women so does that mean that men are less likely to get a job as a radiographer? Also, I don't think I will be able to move out of London so are the courses for Radiography in London universities i.e City, St George's, London South Bank just as good as the courses in other universities?

I'm not sure how hard the course is as I'll be starting this September. The course does mostly have female applicants and no that does not mean men are less likely to get the job. The male to female ratio is steadily increasing however. Getting a place in London will be difficult although reason being is because everyone wants to do well in their placements and can be given a job possibly just before they graduate in a London hospital.
Reply 63
Thank you :smile:, if you don't mid me asking; what did you get in your A-levels and where will you be studying?
Original post by Syngrone
Lewisham hospital, Guys, Queen Elizabeth and St Georges.

Thanks man. I'll check em out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Hi everyone! :smile: I'm about to study radiography this September in St George's, University of London. Although I haven't started yet, I don't mind answering any questions regarding the application process (I.e. work experience, personal statement, interviews) and other general questions. Just PM or quote me, I'll try my best to help :biggrin:
Original post by obseo
Hi everyone! :smile: I'm about to study radiography this September in St George's, University of London. Although I haven't started yet, I don't mind answering any questions regarding the application process (I.e. work experience, personal statement, interviews) and other general questions. Just PM or quote me, I'll try my best to help :biggrin:

Hey, man. How did you go about finding work experience and where did you go to get some? Did you have to write a cover letter/do lotsa silly, pain in teh ass things to secure a placement?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Hey, man. How did you go about finding work experience and where did you go to get some? Did you have to write a cover letter/do lotsa silly, pain in teh ass things to secure a placement?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Swansea so I had my work experience here. I got my placement after talking to one of my college lecturers who's in charge of helping students who are applying for medicine. I told him I needed work experience for radiography so he said he was going to contact the hospitals nearby and also gave me their phone numbers so I can contact them myself. When I tried to contact them they said they were only accepting volunteers and not work experience but a few weeks later, they e-mailed my lecturer saying that yes, I could have work experience. They sent me a form asking what department I want to go to, when and how long and I had to fill a bunch of occupational health forms and then during Christmas I had a week of work experience in the radiology deparment.

I'm not sure how it works in london but my advice is to phone the hospital and ask about work experience. They usually have someone in charge of volunteers and work experience so they'll tell you what to do :smile:
Original post by obseo
I live in Swansea so I had my work experience here. I got my placement after talking to one of my college lecturers who's in charge of helping students who are applying for medicine. I told him I needed work experience for radiography so he said he was going to contact the hospitals nearby and also gave me their phone numbers so I can contact them myself. When I tried to contact them they said they were only accepting volunteers and not work experience but a few weeks later, they e-mailed my lecturer saying that yes, I could have work experience. They sent me a form asking what department I want to go to, when and how long and I had to fill a bunch of occupational health forms and then during Christmas I had a week of work experience in the radiology deparment.

I'm not sure how it works in london but my advice is to phone the hospital and ask about work experience. They usually have someone in charge of volunteers and work experience so they'll tell you what to do :smile:

Ok, that's cool. :yy:
How was your placement? What did you do? Did you do x-rays and mris and stuffs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Ok, that's cool. :yy:
How was your placement? What did you do? Did you do x-rays and mris and stuffs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really enjoyed my placement :biggrin: I was with 2 other 3rd years student radiographers so they helped me and answered any questions I had. I was in the x-ray department, CT, MRI, Fluoroscopy and coronary angioplasty. They didn't let me in the ultrasound department unfortunately cause the hospital didn't let work experience students in but nevertheless I still really enjoyed it cause I never knew how broad a radiographer's job was.
Also, during placement make sure to take tons of notes of what you saw e.g. what you found interesting etc. It would look really good in your personal statement and they'll definitely ask you about what you've observed during interviews :smile:
Original post by obseo
I really enjoyed my placement :biggrin: I was with 2 other 3rd years student radiographers so they helped me and answered any questions I had. I was in the x-ray department, CT, MRI, Fluoroscopy and coronary angioplasty. They didn't let me in the ultrasound department unfortunately cause the hospital didn't let work experience students in but nevertheless I still really enjoyed it cause I never knew how broad a radiographer's job was.
Also, during placement make sure to take tons of notes of what you saw e.g. what you found interesting etc. It would look really good in your personal statement and they'll definitely ask you about what you've observed during interviews :smile:

That's good to hear; it does sound pretty exciting. :smile:
Yeah, taking notes is a very good idea and will make sure you dont forget all the stuffs you saw and stuffs

Did you handle any machinery and do scans? Or did they just make you sit and watch? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
That's good to hear; it does sound pretty exciting. :smile:
Yeah, taking notes is a very good idea and will make sure you dont forget all the stuffs you saw and stuffs

Did you handle any machinery and do scans? Or did they just make you sit and watch? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They let me move the x-ray around and played with the lighting a bit when there was no patients around but apart from that it was mostly sit and watch. I wasn't allowed to scan patients for health and safety reasons xD
Original post by obseo
They let me move the x-ray around and played with the lighting a bit when there was no patients around but apart from that it was mostly sit and watch. I wasn't allowed to scan patients for health and safety reasons xD

Ok lol, i guess you have to be a fully qualified radiographer to use the machinery... I thought it was just pressing buttons and stuff... I guess it's not that simple after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by plasmaman
Thanks that helps a lot
What university did you go to?

St George's.
Original post by obseo
can you still apply if you get a*aba but are subjects like phycolgy sociology English lit and health and social care thanks
Reply 75
Original post by Sumaya_27
can you still apply if you get a*aba but are subjects like phycolgy sociology English lit and health and social care thanks

I hope you meant psychology and not 'phycology' the study of algae xD
But I think it depends on the uni. For radiography you need at least 1 science subject and some unis might accept Psychology as a science whilst others might not. My advice is to check the entry requirements on the website of the unis that you're thinking of applying to (cause it usually says in there what subjects they consider a 'science') or e-mail them yourself. :smile:
Reply 76

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm currently just about to go to yr13 and I live in London. To get work experience, you just need to call up hospitals and ask for the superintendent radiographer. I called a few hospitals near where I live and I have finally found work experience at Northwick Park Hospital but it's only for one day and it's at the end of November. So if you live nearby, you could try Northwick Park Hospital and I could give you the email for the person in charge. What university are you planning to apply to?
Original post by mat1996
Hi, I'm currently just about to go to yr13 and I live in London. To get work experience, you just need to call up hospitals and ask for the superintendent radiographer. I called a few hospitals near where I live and I have finally found work experience at Northwick Park Hospital but it's only for one day and it's at the end of November. So if you live nearby, you could try Northwick Park Hospital and I could give you the email for the person in charge. What university are you planning to apply to?

Hi, im interested in radiography too, but i am in a weird situation. Ive done my Alevels but i need to retake my Chemistry and Biology since i messed up. I was not able to find any work experience because i was still 17 and only just turned 18 a month ago. So i have decided to take a gap year to redo my Chem and Bio. I live very close to Northwick park Hospital and it would be really nice to get experience there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by cofusedstudent
Hi, im interested in radiography too, but i am in a weird situation. Ive done my Alevels but i need to retake my Chemistry and Biology since i messed up. I was not able to find any work experience because i was still 17 and only just turned 18 a month ago. So i have decided to take a gap year to redo my Chem and Bio. I live very close to Northwick park Hospital and it would be really nice to get experience there.

Oh y? What did you get (if you don't mind me asking)? Btw I've private messaged you the email as it might be bad to put the person's email in public. Personally, I think you should call her first just in case the email goes in her junk mail. In the email, you just have to write your name, date of birth and address and she should contact you back. Hopefully this helps :smile:
Original post by obseo
I hope you meant psychology and not 'phycology' the study of algae xD
But I think it depends on the uni. For radiography you need at least 1 science subject and some unis might accept Psychology as a science whilst others might not. My advice is to check the entry requirements on the website of the unis that you're thinking of applying to (cause it usually says in there what subjects they consider a 'science') or e-mail them yourself. :smile:

Thanks much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest