The Student Room Group

Economics at uni?

I've taken Maths, economics, law and P.E and would like to do something economics based, but not too related business, mostly macro. I was thinking about doing economics at uni as I'm good at it and really enjoy it, but I've seen you need a level maths and I'd be lucky to get an E at AS. I'd also really like to do some form of environmental degree, but as I've not taken any sciences I know I probably wouldn't get onto a course for it.

So basically, I was just wondering if there was a course, at a decent uni, that would cover both of these topics, or just macro economics?

Scroll to see replies

Usually for single honours students, every academic year you can do a module or two outside of your degree subject area, subject to prerequisite and administration constraints. So you could do a degree in economics and try and do some environmental modules too. This system of ancillary modules varies from uni to uni and department to department so do the necessary research. It might be hard qualifying for an environmental module though, seeing as you're not doing geography at A-level.

Joint honours degrees in economics and geography exist which would allow you to cover economics and environmental stuff more equally, but the better uni's will require A-level maths at grade B/A/A* and A-level Geography. A decent straight economics course will also require a high A-level maths grade.

Degrees in just macroeconomics do not exist. Both micro and macro are essential parts of economics, and a lot of macro is micro-founded (derived from micro models)
Original post by james9309
I've taken Maths, economics, law and P.E and would like to do something economics based, but not too related business, mostly macro. I was thinking about doing economics at uni as I'm good at it and really enjoy it, but I've seen you need a level maths and I'd be lucky to get an E at AS. I'd also really like to do some form of environmental degree, but as I've not taken any sciences I know I probably wouldn't get onto a course for it.

So basically, I was just wondering if there was a course, at a decent uni, that would cover both of these topics, or just macro economics?

I'm not sure about your academics so I just posted what I could find
http://www.soas.ac.uk/cedep/programmes/appenveco/
http://www.york.ac.uk/environment/undergraduate/environmenteconomicsandecology/bsc-eee/
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=L1F9&cw_xml=degree.php
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/businesseconomics/courses/environmentaleconomics/
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/module-list/econ7007
Original post by ParetoOptimum
You've posted postgraduate courses and economics modules ​in this list lol

I spent approximately 20 seconds on that post, I'm not a careers officer. Some are undergraduate courses, so I'm guessing you spent approximately 2 seconds reading them.
Original post by Mike_123
I spent approximately 20 seconds on that post, I'm not a careers officer.

Chill out bro, humility is a virtue. No harm in spending an extra 5 seconds on each link to make sure you fully understand what you're posting
(edited 9 years ago)
Chill out bro, humility is a virtue. No harm in spending an extra 5 seconds on each link to make sure you fully understand what you're posting

You're quite pretentious for an Oxbridge reject
Original post by Mike_123
You're quite pretentious for an Oxbridge reject

Quite the accusation. Are you stalking me online, or do you know me IRL? Because if the answer is yes to either of those questions, you either haven't stalked me enough or you didn't know me well enough to know that I didn't apply to Oxford or Cambridge. Anyway, I'm not quite sure how my university applications are relevant to this thread, but if it makes you feel morally superior then fire away I guess.
Reply 8
Quite the accusation. Are you stalking me online, or do you know me IRL? Because if the answer is yes to either of those questions, you either haven't stalked me enough or you didn't know me well enough to know that I didn't apply to Oxford or Cambridge. Anyway, I'm not quite sure how my university applications are relevant to this thread, but if it makes you feel morally superior then fire away I guess.
How does it feel to be rejected?
Original post by Namige
How does it feel to be rejected?

It would be a very, very sad day if I found myself lying on the internet to A-level students about whether I applied to Oxbridge or not and whether I got rejected. Today is not that day.

I speak with all sincerity - I'm sure you guys are decent IRL. But in a few years time, if you log onto TSR and look back at these past posts you're going to cringe. Cringe a lot.
It would be a very, very sad day if I found myself lying on the internet to A-level students about whether I applied to Oxbridge or not and whether I got rejected. Today is not that day.

I speak with all sincerity - I'm sure you guys are decent IRL. But in a few years time, if you log onto TSR and look back at these past posts you're going to cringe. Cringe a lot.

You would think people would respect Optimus Pareto, leader of the Econobots
Original post by badlychosenone
You would think people would respect Optimus Pareto, leader of the Econobots

You genius! Why didn't I think of that?!

Oxbridge AND lse reject? woooooowza
Reply 13

Hey, I have time travelled 50 years in the future in order to post this. I didn't cringe. Sorry.
Original post by Namige
Hey, I have time travelled 50 years in the future in order to post this. I didn't cringe. Sorry.

Don't sweat it. I winced on your behalf.
Reply 16
Original post by cambio wechsel
Don't sweat it. I winced on your behalf.
Hmm. The other guy was right in saying that you are rather pretentious for an Oxbridge reject.
Original post by Namige
Hmm. The other guy was right in saying that you are rather pretentious for an Oxbridge reject.

Do you think I am Pareto Optimum (to whom that was in fact said)?

Be assured that you're more widely reviled than you imagine.
Reply 18
Haha, chill out guys! I know that you need to do micro and macro as both are important, but was just trying to say I want to do a course more focused on management of the economy rather than how to run individual businesses. But that sounds really interesting that I could study another module along side economics! I'll check those links out some time later, as I've still got my last maths exam to go. Cheers for the replies :smile:
Reply 19

Checked this one out actually and it looks good! Maybe a little bit too much on the environment and not enough actual economics, but looked decent. But it said usually you need 2 of the A levels from the list and I've only taken economics from that list, would they still take me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending