The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR FSMQ Additional Maths June 2014 Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ab9826
Hi, how many marks would I lose for not putting my answers in question 14 to 3 signofocant figures??

How many s.f. did you use?
Original post by samanton5
14iii) 1 - ((PX=0 + PX=1) x PX=1)

This isn't right.
Reply 42
Original post by Mr M
This isn't right.

It is p(x=0) +[ p(0) x p(1)]
Original post by πππ
It is p(x=0) +[ p(0) x p(1)]

Yes.
Original post by Mr M
1. 1 or 2 marks

2. 2 marks

3. Yes

4. It might be

Dear Sir, Thanks
For question 11(ii) I differentiated but didn't get the right factorisation so how many marks could I get?
Reply 45
For the circle equation I thought ab were the radius!! So I put (x-4)^2 + (y-9)^2 = 20. How many marks out of 3 will I get?
I feel that the question 7 is incorrect? it turns out to be root((-2^2)+(-4^2))= root20, which is clearly 5root2.
Reply 47
I've added up all the marks you have and it comes to 92. Therefore question 10 i and ii come to 8 marks.
Original post by jeevanr21
Dear Sir, Thanks
For question 11(ii) I differentiated but didn't get the right factorisation so how many marks could I get?

Depends how far you got. Possibly 3?
Original post by πππ
For the circle equation I thought ab were the radius!! So I put (x-4)^2 + (y-9)^2 = 20. How many marks out of 3 will I get?

Drop 1 mark.
Original post by TheEpiphany
I feel that the question 7 is incorrect? it turns out to be root((-2^2)+(-4^2))= root20, which is clearly 5root2.

20=4×5=4×5=25\sqrt{20}=\sqrt{4 \times 5}=\sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{5} = 2 \sqrt{5}
Original post by Mr M
20=4×5=4×5=25\sqrt{20}=\sqrt{4 \times 5}=\sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{5} = 2 \sqrt{5}

Ah, I see my mistake. But either way when you square it for the next part of the question, doesn't the r square bit equal 20?
No, 252\sqrt{5} was the diameter, so 5\sqrt{5} was the radius.
Original post by Mr M

Well I differentiated and then couldn't factorise so used the quadratic formula I believe...that gave me two values- pretty sure they were -3 and 44/3.
Original post by Mr M

For that question I used the quadratic formula rather than factorising but still got the answers 35/3 and 3. Would i still get all the marks? Thanks very much
Original post by GCSEsitter
For that question I used the quadratic formula rather than factorising but still got the answers 35/3 and 3. Would i still get all the marks? Thanks very much

Do you think that 71/100 will be enough for an A? Cos thats the mark I am most likely going to get? Thanks for answering.
Do you think that 71/100 will be enough for an A? Cos thats the mark I am most likely going to get? Thanks for answering.

I cant say for sure because it changes each year, but it probably will be based on peoples reactions to the test. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Mr M
How many s.f. did you use?

Four
Ah, I see my mistake. But either way when you square it for the next part of the question, doesn't the r square bit equal 20?

You square the radius not the diameter.
Original post by ab9826
Four

That's fine. You don't get penalised for being more accurate only less accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending