The Student Room Group

Feminism - Us vs them

So. Members of this forum have made it abundantly clear they're not fans of feminism. Now why is this? Well I'm sure there isn't just one answer it's a conglomeration of reasons, but I'd say one big one is the approach often used by feminists seems to be one of men vs women. If I read an article by a feminist often good things are said but all throughout it all I can think of is the fact that it seems like I am being attacked simply for having a penis. All through this there seems to be this underlying sense that because I'm a man I'm somehow part of the problem. I don't like this, it's an unfair accusation, it makes me defensive, and it makes me dismissive of what you have to say.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree, or am I way off the mark?
Reply 1
I agree I don't think that people should categorise anyone eg say all men r the same but everyone should be treated differently so no u r not WAY of the mark😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shut up you white, male, cisgender, privileged jerk.
Modern feminism is a ridiculous and hypocritical movement that adds very little to the world. Much like the men's rights movement. I wish we could just lock them all in cage somewhere and let the unleash their hatred and bitterness on each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My issue with feminism? It's exclusionist. It's a bunch of white women whining about non-issues and forgetting that women of colour, transwomen, and Muslim women are women too. Feminism in the west concerns itself with cat-calling but forgets that transwomen are murdered every day. Web-feminism is concerned with protecting privileged white women and winds up excluding women of colour or simply ignoring/erasing their experiences in favour of white-female solidarity.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Modern feminism is a ridiculous and hypocritical movement that adds very little to the world. Much like the men's rights movement. I wish we could just lock them all in cage somewhere and let the unleash their hatred and bitterness on each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
From my perspective, the problem of feminism isn't always what a feminist says (as there are valid points in the midst of feminism - unfair body standards/expectations being one example) but the fact it's only ever concerning a woman. I hear "hey us feminists help men too!!!" 1) Barely and 2) even if you did, you're not directly seeking to help men - it's an indirect effect.

I don't like feminism and I don't like masculinism because they're both too 1 sided and need to meet in the middle at true gender egalitarianism zzz ive said this so many times.

No i dont feel feminists are attackin me for having a penis though , only the radicals do that.
My main issue with feminism is that I feel it is redundant in the Western world and myths like the pay gap and rape culture are not genuine issues which need to be addressed.

Also, quotas are a joke.
I don't consider my problem to be a problem with feminism, although many would. I decide for myself to not consider the borderline authoritarian brands of the movement TRUE feminism (forgive the fallacy).

I do have a problem with the "us vs them" mentality found in a more reasonable (and yet still arguable unreasonable) brands. But that mentality is reinforced not only by feminists, but by MRAs and people who identify as neither, nor gender-egalitarian, but would be perfectly fine with gender inequalities in various areas.

The term "battle of the sexes" is used sometimes, often humorously, as though it's a hilarious certainty of life, and it pisses me off to no end :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Algorithm69
Shut up you white, male, cisgender, privileged jerk.

I'm sorry :frown: ... :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by MangoFreak
I don't consider my problem to be a problem with feminism, although many would. I decide for myself to not consider the borderline authoritarian brands of the movement TRUE feminism (forgive the fallacy).

I do have a problem with the "us vs them" mentality found in a more reasonable (and yet still arguable unreasonable) brands. But that mentality is reinforced not only by feminists, but by MRAs and people who identify as neither, nor gender-egalitarian, but would be perfectly fine with gender inequalities in various areas.

The term "battle of the sexes" is used sometimes, often humorously, as though it's a hilarious certainty of life, and it pisses me off to no end :colonhash:

Oh I completely agree. I don't think (self-proclaimed) feminists are alone in contributing to this problem.
Ima fan of equality, however a lot of feminist's are radicals, and want to do stupid ****, like changing history to herstory
The most vocal feminists seem to be those who take it a step too far and who want female supremacy rather than true equality. The true voice of feminism isn't heard, it's the voice of female supremacists.
The problem with feminism is that the vocal ones are jerks, same with the male rights movements, and those that want equality are just too stupid to break ties and join forces to form a new movement. The movements are mostly redundant anyway, so when you get people claiming to be feminists and being total jerks, being female supremacists, trying to get practically superfluous changes made, of course people are just going to switch off.
Reply 15
Feminism tackles a lot of non-issues, such as the number of women on bank notes, and then labels you misogynistic (one of their favourite words) when you disagree with them.

It also addresses a lot of important issues that I don't think anyone sane would disagree on, but the group is alienating non-feminists because of instances as I mentioned at the beginning of this post.
Reply 16
My thoughts are that almost everyone on this forum knows jack **** about what they're talking about
Original post by 4.2.0
My thoughts are that almost everyone on this forum knows jack **** about what they're talking about

In that some think all wiminz are teh devil and some think modern day feminism is some kind of positive influence in Britain? Both ridiculous opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
In that some think all wiminz are teh devil and some think modern day feminism is some kind of positive influence in Britain? Both ridiculous opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Modern day feminism is too divided to have any noticeable effects on Western society since no one wants to touch it without a 10ft long stick. What would have been a decent attempt at rectifying real inequalities for either gender has turned into a fistfight between MRA's and Radical 'feminists', both of whom are minorities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending