The Student Room Group

The Ultimate England Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Baines is a defender - are you deliberately missing the point now?

No, you said play style shouldn't come into it, which then means target men in a team that doesn't suit them, just because they're on form.

And the team isn't being built around Vardy. He's been called up as a reward for his form for the past two months :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you deliberately missing the point?

You said Vardy was in because he's a different sort of player, and his form. If that's all it is, Baines has a right to the left wing at least. He has more assists than Hazard, after all.

I'm the one saying what I say, I'm in the best position to tell you what I'm saying and why I'm saying it. For the third time, England have Rooney, Welbeck, Sterling, Walcott, Townsend and so on and so on who can all play many roles, and altogether have a lot of cover in every roles. When you're calling up a fourth or worse choice striker, or winger if you prefer, you're doing it on form, because you have every role filled, you don't need to add someone for where they can play, just if they're doing well and can provide good cover. What's to misunderstand?

Thus the 'team isn't being built around Vardy' comment. Refer to the above.
Has to be the worst England squad called up in a long long time. So surprised Young misses out and Lallana and Townsend make it :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Has to be the worst England squad called up in a long long time. So surprised Young misses out and Lallana and Townsend make it :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When Ashley Young was terrible every week he was Hodgson squad regular. Now he is one of your better players, he can't get in.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Are you deliberately missing the point?

You said Vardy was in because he's a different sort of player, and his form. If that's all it is, Baines has a right to the left wing at least. He has more assists than Hazard, after all.

I'm the one saying what I say, I'm in the best position to tell you what I'm saying and why I'm saying it. For the third time, England have Rooney, Welbeck, Sterling, Walcott, Townsend and so on and so on who can all play many roles, and altogether have a lot of cover in every roles. When you're calling up a fourth or worse choice striker, or winger if you prefer, you're doing it on form, because you have every role filled, you don't need to add someone for where they can play, just if they're doing well and can provide good cover. What's to misunderstand?

Thus the 'team isn't being built around Vardy' comment. Refer to the above.

It's hard to miss your point when you don't have one.
If they're calling up on form then vardy would be the best choice, since there's few strikers of any nationality that have had a better set of performances the past two months than Vardy.
If they're selecting on play style, well there's precious few players who can match vardy, he's certainly not in competition with the likes of Murray.

I can't help but feel if he played for a fashionable club then the armchair pundits wouldn't be making themselves look so ridiculous. He's in on merit, but the point is that you've got Rooney and Welbeck (the latter of whom seems to be able to get in however bad he is. Then you've got two spaces for testing new players with Sturridge injured, so you want a range of different threats. If you select on form alone, vardy should be in, but you run the risk of playing the sven game - a side of 11 good players rather than a good team, so you also have to consider whether they provide something different

Original post by Mackay
When Ashley Young was terrible every week he was Hodgson squad regular. Now he is one of your better players, he can't get in.

According to the england twitter and an array of journalists, young has a niggling injury and has been left out on the advice of man utds medical team

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ings makes more sense than Vardy because he's very, very adept at running into the channels and pressing high given Dyche's philosophy and style. He's also younger than Vardy, and probably a more clinical finisher given a chance. It would make sense to draft him in as a fourth-choice striker in this squad given Kane's inclusion in the U21s.
Neither should be in the squad and are backups, they'll play in friendlies and when Sturridge is fit and Kane is not playing for the U21s those two will not play a game for England again.
Just booked tickets for the U21's final next month. Happened to be in Prague at the time so it's worked out very well. Can't wait!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=131500377656&_ssn=dumblonde2014&rt=nc

Some decent buys on here. £20 for a player issue shirt is good. Wanted a polo but none in my size.
Original post by scriggy
Just booked tickets for the U21's final next month. Happened to be in Prague at the time so it's worked out very well. Can't wait!

Enjoy, mate.

England won't do too badly judging on the squad.
Anybody else watching the match?

Yet another abysmal performance from Hodgson's England.
Original post by _Morsey_
Anybody else watching the match?

Yet another abysmal performance from Hodgson's England.

agree
but don't you think both sides aren't giving their all though
Even poorer standard than what we're used to. Really should just watch the tennis
Dull game but it's a friendly and the lads are in holiday mode so can't expect much.
This game pretty much proves how stupid friendlies are directly after the end of the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
This game pretty much proves how stupid friendlies are directly after the end of the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is, with a qualifier next week, there's no choice but to play a friendly.

You could then argue that we shouldn't have a qualifier in June. But then there are even more arguments saying we have too many friendlies and internationals during the season.

Conclusion? Fewer qualifying games!
Original post by Conzy210
This game pretty much proves how stupid friendlies are

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fixed that for you
Original post by little_wizard123
The problem is, with a qualifier next week, there's no choice but to play a friendly.

You could then argue that we shouldn't have a qualifier in June. But then there are even more arguments saying we have too many friendlies and internationals during the season.

Conclusion? Fewer qualifying games!

Do we really need a friendly to prepare for a game against Slovenia next week? This has proved what the majority already knew, that the players really couldn't give a **** about playing Ireland so soon after finishing the season.

We've learned absolutely nothing and this game was nothing more than a glorified training session.
Hart and Rooney AGAIN playing in a friendly. England deserve to be punished every time they play a first 11 at such a ridiculous time. What do you think Roy learned from this match? 0-0 with a first XI, well done, completely worth arranging this and all the other past friendlies.

Subs coming on in the last 10 or 15 minutes, brilliant.
Surely the point is to play a strong XI in order to prepare them for the qualifier? Everybody knows that international teams suffer due to the lack of games they play together. The best way to prepare for a game is to try to replicate it with as close to next week's XI as possible. The intensity needed to be a bit higher, but Ireland are useless.
Original post by little_wizard123
Surely the point is to play a strong XI in order to prepare them for the qualifier? Everybody knows that international teams suffer due to the lack of games they play together. The best way to prepare for a game is to try to replicate it with as close to next week's XI as possible. The intensity needed to be a bit higher, but Ireland are useless.

OMG, someone says this every time. The team has played through one or two tournaments, most of them have played years together. And what happens? A goalkeeper loses form, the star striker breaks his metatarsal, and the England manager has to shove in someone like a deer in the headlights who hasn't played barely any internationals or with any of the players entirely through the fault of the manager. England fail, people moan, fans say "bring in the new blood!" then when friendlies come they moan when they don't win it like it's a competitive fixture 3-0. Then Euro 2012 and Brazil 2014 come along and people say these (particularly 2012) are just tournaments to blood the youngers players and get them experience. Then the friendlies come along and they still wanna play the same sodding team to get them 'experience' they supposedly already had in the past 4 years.

But hey, sure, keep picking basically the same XI every friendly, then throw on the players that these friendlies are actually made for in the last 15 minutes, it's worked wonders for them so far. Just look at Euro 2008 for example, oh how England lit up that tournament, after blitzing the qualifying campaign with their squad depth.

Rant rant rant. To answer your question, no, the point of friendlies is not to play your first team and try to win it, unless you're one of the lower teams. Recently England seem to be the only country who's forgotten this, which I guess isn't surprising. I assume it's because of the news media, and the managers' fear of them. Well enjoy your headlines, Roy.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest