The Student Room Group

I despise the English football team

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Destrian
I simply can't stand the defenders in the English team. They seem brutish, slow and really uncomfortable whenever they have the ball.

But that's what proper defenders are meant to be like!
Based on the replies so far, I think it's safe to assume if England were actually challenging for trophies and making finals, the 'slow' defenders and tabloid headlines suddenly wouldn't put people off rooting for the team any more.

If those things put you off your club teams too, then fair enough.

'Not supporting Arsenal any more, defenders are too slow and brutish' :cool:
Original post by Wilfred Little
This is exactly what will happen should we reach the knock outs.

People who are disinterested in football seem to get a hell of a lot of satisfaction from their country performing well, but once they're out they're not even affected by it. I wish I could feel like that, but it's not how it should be. :mad:
Original post by destrian
man, brings back good memories of the goal england conceded vs usa :eek:

rofl robert green
See these are the exact reasons non-englanders hate the England team too. But no, it's because we are apparently 'bitter' :rolleyes:

Maybe if your team wasn't full of dickheads, played attractive football and didn't hype yourselves up to ridiculous levels, I and many others would actually get behind you
One World Cup 50 years ago and England still bang on about it like they won it 4 years ago.
I will begrudgingly support them but they are nobodies.

They've done nothing for ages. 1 World Cup, 1 World Cup Semi-final and one European Championship semi-final. I barely watched football when England last got to the semi-final
They are practically irrelevant on the big stage and think they are better than they are. The media under-estimate so many teams (Romania in 98 & '00, Germany & Italy in 2010 & 2012) and never learn their lesson
Reply 26
You are not the only one. I always find it amusing when my neighbours put up England flag on their windows like some sad freaks only to take them off when England go out. :lol: It always makes me laugh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RThornton
We should just give as many youngsters a go as possible, with no pressure on them, I would be starting with:
Hart
Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Barkley Gerrard Oxlaide-Chamberlain

Sterling Lallana

Sturridge

Ox at CM. Do you actually watch any football. He will get over-whelmed. Like Croatia today by not playing any holding mids.
Original post by Destrian
I live in England but take the excuse that I was born in Holland (lived there for the first two months of my life) to get out of supporting the English national team.

The attackers I don't mind so much, but I simply can't stand the defenders in the English team. They seem brutish, slow and really uncomfortable whenever they have the ball. Sturridge/Welbeck/Barkley/Wilshere are all quite exciting, but I just can't like this team.

So you want to have ball playing defenders. Look what happened to Luiz today. Bayern munich all season, barca all season. Ball playing defenders concede goals.
A lot of armchair fans in this thread really. I personally don't see why you would dislike our players, none of them seem like bad characters in this years squad.
Reply 30
Original post by ElChapo
A lot of armchair fans in this thread really. I personally don't see why you would dislike our players, none of them seem like bad characters in this years squad.

What about potato head?
Original post by Jordooooom
See these are the exact reasons non-englanders hate the England team too. But no, it's because we are apparently 'bitter' :rolleyes:

Maybe if your team wasn't full of dickheads, played attractive football and didn't hype yourselves up to ridiculous levels, I and many others would actually get behind you

No one wants you behind us or in front of us.

I don't really understand why you think anyone cares or wants your support.

If you want to watch good football then watch another team.
Original post by ElChapo

Wilshere seems like a bit of a dickhead
Original post by jam278
What about potato head?

Who?
Original post by manchesterunited15
Wilshere seems like a bit of a dickhead

Not sure what makes you say that, maybe because you don't like him in club football? You still should get behind him in the world cup and support your country

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Who?

Not sure what makes you say that, maybe because you don't like him in club football? You still should get behind him in the world cup and support your country

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do support my country...

Just the way he's always trying to start a fight. He also spat at a taxi driver
Reply 35
Original post by ElChapo
Who?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who in the england squad has the heat of a potato?

Hes probably the most sunburnt out of the lot in brazil as well.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
One World Cup 50 years ago and England still bang on about it like they won it 4 years ago.
I will begrudgingly support them but they are nobodies.

They've done nothing for ages. 1 World Cup, 1 World Cup Semi-final and one European Championship semi-final. I barely watched football when England last got to the semi-final
They are practically irrelevant on the big stage and think they are better than they are. The media under-estimate so many teams (Romania in 98 & '00, Germany & Italy in 2010 & 2012) and never learn their lesson

I don't know maybe it's me, but you hardly notice Spanish people still talking about the Euro 2008/2012 or even the World Cup 2010.They have just moved unto the next competition. I think after 2010 people began to realise England aren't as good as they think they are, after the canning Germany gave us 4 years ago. I remember the Media were saying during the 2010 WC that this is the easiest group England's ever got, still baffles me how they still struggled.
Original post by jam278
Who in the england squad has the heat of a potato?

Hes probably the most sunburnt out of the lot in brazil as well.

I don't want to play guess who, but Glen Johnson? Just tell me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by ElChapo
I don't want to play guess who, but Glen Johnson? Just tell me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rooney.

The guy who we pin our hopes on despite not playing the right style of play, the guy who shags grannys and cheats on his wife, yeah amazing personality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
No one wants you behind us or in front of us.

I don't really understand why you think anyone cares or wants your support.

If you want to watch good football then watch another team.

If you don't care, then why does everyone bitch like little girls when non-englanders criticise England?

Not to mention the uproar when andy murray jokingly said he supports anyone England plays against.

I'm guessing you're one of these tools (sorry, 'football experts') that only come out once every four years.

Quick Reply

Latest