The Student Room Group

I despise the English football team

Genuinely, I would just laugh if England went out in the group stage, I feel nothing for the team at all. Most of the players I despise, and the maority of the fans are nothing but Millwall/Leeds/Gillingham/Stoke scum on a jolly. Watching Adrian Chiles or Gary Linkerer before a big game, before watching Rooney waddle around the pitch and Gerrard/Lampard to absolutely nothing again, it doesnt feel like my team at all. In fact, I get a kick out of seeing England doing badly at times. Rooney post Algeria was just comedy gold tbh,

If Ireland/Wales/Scotland were in it I could probably get hyped up for them because they'd have some charisma, but England? **** off

Anyone else know these feels?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zürich
Genuinely, I would just laugh if England went out in the group stage, I feel nothing for the team at all. Most of the players I despise, and the maority of the fans are nothing but Millwall/Leeds/Gillingham/Stoke scum on a jolly. Watching Adrian Chiles or Gary Linkerer before a big game, before watching Rooney waddle around the pitch and Gerrard/Lampard to absolutely nothing again, it doesnt feel like my team at all. In fact, I get a kick out of seeing England doing badly at times. Rooney post Algeria was just comedy gold tbh,

If Ireland/Wales/Scotland were in it I could probably get hyped up for them because they'd have some charisma, but England? **** off

Anyone else know these feels?

How is this in any way the fault of the England team, it's the fault of ITV for letting that clown Chiles on. As for Gary Lineker, he knows what he's talking about.
Tough, you're stuck with 'em like the rest of us.
Reply 3
I don't really find it funny when England do bad as I don't expect anything else to happen. It's pretty likely they'll be out by the group stage imo.

I'm just bored of watching these older players continue to do nothing each year. Hopdgson has actually chosen some younger players, but I have a feeling most of them won't get much pitch time. We're more likely to see Rooney starting out of position on the wing than Sterling, for example, because he is Wayne Rooney.
We should just give as many youngsters a go as possible, with no pressure on them, I would be starting with:
Hart
Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Barkley Gerrard Oxlaide-Chamberlain

Sterling Lallana

Sturridge
I'm supporting them because I am English, nothing else matters. There are cocks in the support but so what, there are cocks in every team's support, it's not me it's them. And saying you don't like the players is a cop out, does anyone support their clubs just because their players happen to be nice lads, would you disown the club if you signed a proper dickhead? If you feel emotion over players to the point where you dislike them so much it stops you supporting your own team you should probably re evaluate your life (but of course nobody does, it's a cop out).

It's bad enough when you get people who don't support their local teams but English people who don't support the England team are ridiculous and it shows how idiotic football fans can be, you see them pledging allegiance to countries their grandparents pissed up a tree in over the place they were born, grew up and schooled in. If you're that against England, don't support our clubs, go and support a team from the country you do follow.

It's just more about making a statement (as you've done with this thread Zurich no offence),

Always see these types in the run up to the WC and it always does my head in.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm supporting them because I am English, nothing else matters. There are cocks in the support but so what, there are cocks in every team's support, it's not me it's them. And saying you don't like the players is a cop out, does anyone support their clubs just because their players happen to be nice lads, would you disown the club if you signed a proper dickhead? If you feel emotion over players to the point where you dislike them so much it stops you supporting your own team you should probably re evaluate your life (but of course nobody does, it's a cop out).

It's bad enough when you get people who don't support their local teams but English people who don't support the England team are ridiculous and it shows how idiotic football fans can be, you see them pledging allegiance to countries their grandparents pissed up a tree in over the place they were born, grew up and schooled in. If you're that against England, don't support our clubs, go and support a team from the country you do follow.

It's just more about making a statement (as you've done with this thread Zurich no offence),

PRSOM
Reply 7
Well, I'm not English, but I live in England now, and I'd be quite happy for England to do well, especially now that you have quite a few interesting youngsters in the team. I agree with some of you about Gerrard / Lampard / Rooney / Wilshere though. It sometimes seems like it's more of a PR exercise than about passion to play for your country. WRTT I also dislike the English media, which I think cause this attitude, but I guess that's not so uncommon.
Reply 8
I live in England but take the excuse that I was born in Holland (lived there for the first two months of my life) to get out of supporting the English national team.

The attackers I don't mind so much, but I simply can't stand the defenders in the English team. They seem brutish, slow and really uncomfortable whenever they have the ball. Sturridge/Welbeck/Barkley/Wilshere are all quite exciting, but I just can't like this team.
My parents (immigrants) don't want them to do well but I usually do because I was born here and I feel I should.

But then you see stuff like this:

and I suddenly want England to do really, really badly.
Original post by tengentoppa
My parents (immigrants) don't want them to do well but I usually do because I was born here and I feel I should.

(image)

Man, brings back good memories of the goal England conceded vs USA :eek:
Reply 11

Lol at England coming 2nd in that group then getting spanked by Germany.

:rofl:
Same

the fans are an embarrassment-honestly I half expect them to start chanting E-E-EDL or something, Rooney is an overrated tub of lard (in fact lots of the England players are overrated tbh) , the massive build up "will it be our year?" er no, and after England's inevitable and underwhelming exit, the display of shock from the pundits before looking for excuses such as blaming foreign players in the Premier league, as if in any other area, more competition would be blamed for lower standards. It's pathetic.

I usually root for France or Italy tbh, just because, but don't even bother watching the games
(edited 9 years ago)
The England team don't make up the headlines in The Sun :rolleyes:

And if you don't support them, who cares? Even if I preferred a different nation, I'd still get next to zero satisfaction from them winning it, whereas with England I'd bloody love it if they won the World Cup. You don't have to support them, just don't jump back on the bandwagon when they score or go on to win the thing :holmes:
England can do well if they don't concede. Firstly they need to keep that tub of lard rooney on the bench, also welbeck can join him as well. Welbeck clearly doesn't have the talent to be playing at this level, god knows why Man Utd still keep him.
Reply 15
Original post by Advice Guru
England can do well if they don't concede. Firstly they need to keep that tub of lard rooney on the bench, also welbeck can join him as well. Welbeck clearly doesn't have the talent to be playing at this level, god knows why Man Utd still keep him.

Welbeck is important for this match tbh.
Original post by little_wizard123
The England team don't make up the headlines in The Sun :rolleyes:

And if you don't support them, who cares? Even if I preferred a different nation, I'd still get next to zero satisfaction from them winning it, whereas with England I'd bloody love it if they won the World Cup. You don't have to support them, just don't jump back on the bandwagon when they score or go on to win the thing :holmes:

This is exactly what will happen should we reach the knock outs.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Oh god

this is so hilariously close to the truth in my case, I didn't even see this until after I had written my post either :rofl:

If a headline in the sun changes your opinion so drastically then I don't think you could be considered anything close to a fan in the first place
Original post by manchesterunited15
If a headline in the sun changes your opinion so drastically then I don't think you could be considered anything close to a fan in the first place

I was never a fan, but I usually start off wanting them to do well. But the media love-in (not just the Sun) gets tedious and I end up wanting them to leave ASAP.

But expectations seem to be managed better since the 2010 fiasco, so there is hope.

Quick Reply

Latest