The Student Room Group

History Essay Contests 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snikutsmullac
Got about two more paragraphs to do, then it's being sent!

How are you doing?

I've finished it, and am sending it off tomorrow. It's a bit rubbish, but anything for the personal statement :biggrin:
Original post by permanenthelp!
I've finished it, and am sending it off tomorrow. It's a bit rubbish, but anything for the personal statement :biggrin:

Cool, well done! :-) I've got the tiniest bit more to do then I've finished!

I actually put a lot of effort into it over the last couple of days, I've quoted about eight different historians and even done some source analysis. I still won't win xD

Good luck!
Cool, well done! :-) I've got the tiniest bit more to do then I've finished!

I actually put a lot of effort into it over the last couple of days, I've quoted about eight different historians and even done some source analysis. I still won't win xD

Good luck!

Well done, that sounds really promising :biggrin:
Hi guys

Im doing the essay competition as well.
i just finished my essay today. I live in cambridge so I can just hand in my essay on Friday.
Original post by ceco_moev
Here is my essay :smile:
Can samebody upload theirs or give an opinion of mine, if possible?
Thanks in advance

Here's mine; I don't think it's anything special but hey ho.

I got an e-mail today confirming they'd received it :smile: good luck!
Reply 45

Wow!! Your essay is awesome- you are writing really intriguing :smile: Honestly I have never read much about India partiation but your essay really
give useful information :smile: wish you good luck and hopefully you may achieve smth
Wow!! Your essay is awesome- you are writing really intriguing :smile: Honestly I have never read much about India partiation but your essay really
give useful information :smile: wish you good luck and hopefully you may achieve smth

I like to impress people with my use of big words >_>

I knew nothing about partition either, there was so much information on the internet I could have gone on for ages - I had to try and cut it down :-/

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
Reply 47
Just handed in my entry to the porters office at Trinity - at 20:00 today, I cut it pretty fine. I only finished my entry about an hour before I handed it in too; though every minute was worth it, as funnily enough my entry got exponentially better the closer I was to my last opportunity to give it in.

From what I've read on here, the standard is incredibly high - I'm genuinely very impressed by all the essays I've seen on here. The competition will be fierce and I wish you all luck. We all know though I'm sure that it's all about the taking part :wink: I've learned a bunch of stuff just from writing my entry which I can back up with real action on my statement.

I've attached my essay on Is History an Art or a Science? for anyone who's interested. Best of luck to everyone.
Original post by Lude
Just handed in my entry to the porters office at Trinity - at 20:00 today, I cut it pretty fine. I only finished my entry about an hour before I handed it in too; though every minute was worth it, as funnily enough my entry got exponentially better the closer I was to my last opportunity to give it in.

From what I've read on here, the standard is incredibly high - I'm genuinely very impressed by all the essays I've seen on here. The competition will be fierce and I wish you all luck. We all know though I'm sure that it's all about the taking part :wink: I've learned a bunch of stuff just from writing my entry which I can back up with real action on my statement.

I've attached my essay on Is History an Art or a Science? for anyone who's interested. Best of luck to everyone.

Wow, your's are all really impressive. Yeah, I agree, win or lose it's been a really worthwhile experience in that I've been able to try and bring my essay writing skills closer to university level. My effort (attached) does seem a bit feeble in comparison to all of your's though :rolleyes:
Wow, your's are all really impressive. Yeah, I agree, win or lose it's been a really worthwhile experience in that I've been able to try and bring my essay writing skills closer to university level. My effort (attached) does seem a bit feeble in comparison to all of your's though :rolleyes:

Original post by Lude

Good luck to all of you! We'll see in October... hopefully it works out for one of us.

By the way what subjects are you all applying to study at university (if at all)? History? I'm applying for Law.
Reply 50
Good luck to all of you! We'll see in October... hopefully it works out for one of us.

By the way what subjects are you all applying to study at university (if at all)? History? I'm applying for Law.

It's 2015 when I will be applying and studying History at uni would be really enjoyable but my parents want me to study Archtiecture since both of them are architects. Architecture is also pretty intruging It's a really hard decision, though.
However, if I choose to study History I think of applying to Queen Mary(History and Politics or Contemporary and Modern History), KCL (War Studies and Philosophy), UCL (History with an year abroad or History with an year abroad [East European and Russian studies]) and. hopefully, one of Oxbridge. All this are extremely god unis in my opinion and maybe I am overestimating myself but we'll see :smile::smile:

Which unis are you considering?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
I'm currently looking in to 'Philosophy and Psychology' type degrees with the ultimate goal being to apply to Oxford depending on results. However I'm still considering a history application. I'm going on a short history summer school at Cambridge later in the holidays so that'll hopefully make my mind up.

I'm sure it's a conscious and considered decision by whoever runs these competitions that the entry date is before you write your personal statement and the results are released well after. Any one of these essays could win an essay competition; who wins is almost arbitrary. The value is in entering on a personal level and on the level of 'I want to show that I'm clever on a personal statement'.
It's 2015 when I will be applying and studying History at uni would be really enjoyable but my parents want me to study Archtiecture since both of them are architects. Architecture is also pretty intruging It's a really hard decision, though.
However, if I choose to study History I think of applying to Queen Mary(History and Politics or Contemporary and Modern History), KCL (War Studies and Philosophy), UCL (History with an year abroad or History with an year abroad [East European and Russian studies]) and. hopefully, one of Oxbridge. All this are extremely god unis in my opinion and maybe I am overestimating myself but we'll see :smile::smile:

Which unis are you considering?

Whatever you go for, make sure it's what you want to do. It's your life, not theirs!

Nottingham, Birmingham, Kings College London, Leicester, Oxbridge (realistically out of the question, but I can dream)
Whatever you go for, make sure it's what you want to do. It's your life, not theirs!

Nottingham, Birmingham, Kings College London, Leicester, Oxbridge (realistically out of the question, but I can dream)

Results depending (I'm not optimistic): History at either Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, York or St. Andrew's. But that is best case scenario :s-smilie:
Results depending (I'm not optimistic): History at either Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, York or St. Andrew's. But that is best case scenario :s-smilie:

Eleven days to go!
Hi! I'm so stuck.... What should I choose for my A levels? I'm hoping to do a Biology degree, I have 2 subjects chosen so far which are: Biology and Geography. Can anyone think of a third for me? Excluding maths, chemistry and English...
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi! I'm so stuck.... What should I choose for my A levels? I'm hoping to do a Biology degree, I have 2 subjects chosen so far which are: Biology and Geography. Can anyone think of a third for me? Excluding maths, chemistry and English...

It's probably not what you want to hear, but it wouldn't hurt to do Maths or Chemistry.

Otherwise, what subjects do you enjoy?
It's probably not what you want to hear, but it wouldn't hurt to do Maths or Chemistry.

Otherwise, what subjects do you enjoy?

I have no idea how I've posted in this thread, I'm 90% sure I typed this into the GCSE results day thread haha. Thanks though!
I have no idea how I've posted in this thread, I'm 90% sure I typed this into the GCSE results day thread haha. Thanks though!

I did wonder... I thought it was a bit odd.

Oh well! You're welcome
Reply 59

You must have posted it here because here we're only cool and helpful guys :wink: :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending