The Student Room Group

History Essay Contests 2014

Is anyone going to take part in Robson History Prize ?? Is it actually worth an effort? Provided that you will participate, which topic have you chosen?

p.s: if u are taking part in another essay competition you may also give sugestions if u wish

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceco_moev
Is anyone going to take part in Robson History Prize ?? Is it actually worth an effort? Provided that you will participate, which topic have you chosen?

p.s: if u are taking part in another essay competition you may also give sugestions if u wish

Hey,

I wrote an essay for the Robson History Prize last year and even though I didn't win anything I would still recommended it on all accounts. It taught me to write in a way which goes beyond the relatively restrictive school style essays if nothing else and I still received a letter with some feedback albeit brief. So, I would go for it if you have time to kill over the summer and particularly if you are considering applying for History. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Hey,

I wrote an essay for the Robson History Prize last year and even though I didn't win anything I would still recommended it on all accounts. It taught me to write in a way which goes beyond the relatively restrictive school style essays if nothing else and I still received a letter with some feedback albeit brief. So, I would go for it if you have time to kill over the summer and particularly if you are considering applying for History. :smile:

Wow a really quick response :biggrin: I really appreciate your quick answer and it sounds very inspirational :smile: what was ur topic?
Original post by ceco_moev
Wow a really quick response :biggrin: I really appreciate your quick answer and it sounds very inspirational :smile: what was ur topic?

It's no problem. :biggrin: My essay question was "To what extent was the fall of the Iron Curtain due to a crisis of confidence on the part of Communist elites?" I'm not going to lie, I procrastinated a bit and ended up sending it off very close to the deadline but it was a good way to keep myself busy during the holidays. If you want, I'd be willing to PM you my essay - I don't think it's anything special as I rushed it but anyway. :tongue: Also, it's a good thing to write about for your UCAS application if you're planning on applying for history. I'm off to study History and German at Edinburgh this September.
I was hit today by on overwhelming feeling of inadequencey ( I want to apply to Oxford to do law and am panicking that I will be rejected) so I just discovered the Robson History Prize that thankfully can be done over the summer to spice up my personal statement. I entered the Vellacott History Prize at Peterhouse this year and didn't win anything, however I did find it quite interesting (dare I say fun to do?) and I suppose it is rather satisfactory to do something voluntarily which is not being enforced through the A level curriculum. Anyway, looking at the extensive list of questions, I think I will go for one of modern history as pre 19th century history tends to send me to sleep (I suffered through Tudor history this year and never want to return to the boredom I felt!).
What question do you think you will do?
I did Tudor history this year so the Henry VIII religion questions looks rather appealing since I already have a lot of background knowledge on that, so may be easier to expand on.

But, do you think it would be more impressive to do something I haven't studied at college/school, or would they not mind?
I'm doing 'Why and With What Consequences Was India Partitioned in 1947?' Was going to do another question, but changed my mind as I couldn't find ANYTHING about it.

How is everybody else finding it? Are you all nearly finished or just beginning? I've just started my introduction, got a way to go yet!

Please reply :frown:
Hi, I'm considering doing the last question, 'Is history an art or a science?'

Would the contest be useful for me, even though I am not interested in applying to either Oxford or Cambridge? I went to the LSE open day yesterday, and they said that it is obvious in a PS whether an applicant is aspiring to go to Oxbridge, and that it can sometimes lessen their chances of gaining an offer from LSE. If I wrote about the Robson History Essay in my PS, would this make it seem like I was a potential Oxbridge candidate?

I'm planning on starting my research very soon, and completing it quickly (but obviously working hard on it). I also have an EPQ to do over the summer, busy busy busy!

One question - are you meant to cite your sources properly (e.g. Harvard referencing) or just write a standard essay? Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by libertinegirl96

Would the contest be useful for me, even though I am not interested in applying to either Oxford or Cambridge? I went to the LSE open day yesterday, and they said that it is obvious in a PS whether an applicant is aspiring to go to Oxbridge, and that it can sometimes lessen their chances of gaining an offer from LSE. If I wrote about the Robson History Essay in my PS, would this make it seem like I was a potential Oxbridge candidate?

I'm planning on starting my research very soon, and completing it quickly (but obviously working hard on it). I also have an EPQ to do over the summer, busy busy busy!

One question - are you meant to cite your sources properly (e.g. Harvard referencing) or just write a standard essay? Thanks!

I entered this contest last year and did not submit an application to either Oxford or Cambridge - it's very much worth doing and was a beneficial experience regardless of whether you decide to apply to Oxbridge! :smile: I doubt LSE would give your application less consideration than it deserves because of this. Regarding referencing, I admittedly wrote mine in a mad dash less than a week before the deadline so just attached a list of sources as opposed to properly referencing them, however, I would recommend doing so! :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I entered this contest last year and did not submit an application to either Oxford or Cambridge - it's very much worth doing and was a beneficial experience regardless of whether you decide to apply to Oxbridge! :smile: I doubt LSE would give your application less consideration than it deserves because of this. Regarding referencing, I admittedly wrote mine in a mad dash less than a week before the deadline so just attached a list of sources as opposed to properly referencing them, however, I would recommend doing so! :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm interested in the topic so I guess it could even be fun :colondollar:

I got told to Harvard reference. It means that the essay takes twice as long to complete though. There's a great guide to harvard referencing on this website:

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

Good luck! How much have you wrote so far?
Original post by snikutsmullac
I got told to Harvard reference. It means that the essay takes twice as long to complete though. There's a great guide to harvard referencing on this website:

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

Good luck! How much have you wrote so far?

Thank you for the website! I've done about a page at the moment, but at the moment my school is making everyone concentrate on drafting personal statements so I haven't had much time... Hopefully it won't be too time-consuming though, because my school's historical society focuses a lot on what history actually is, so that's helpful. :smile:
Thank you for the website! I've done about a page at the moment, but at the moment my school is making everyone concentrate on drafting personal statements so I haven't had much time... Hopefully it won't be too time-consuming though, because my school's historical society focuses a lot on what history actually is, so that's helpful. :smile:

I'm on around 500 words, there's so much to talk about!

Wow, personal statements already? My college isn't even thinking about them until September, but I think ima draft one over the summer.

You picked the most technical, theoretical question on the list! Don't know how you can cope with it haha
I'm on around 500 words, there's so much to talk about!

Wow, personal statements already? My college isn't even thinking about them until September, but I think ima draft one over the summer.

You picked the most technical, theoretical question on the list! Don't know how you can cope with it haha

Which question did you choose? Yeah I know, the question is so broad that I don't know if what I'm writing is good or bad... I love discussing history and what it really is, but it's definitely harder to write about than to talk about!

And yeah, my school has basically made us start our PS, EPQ and even begin our UCAS profiles already! No rest for the wicked :wink:
Which question did you choose? Yeah I know, the question is so broad that I don't know if what I'm writing is good or bad... I love discussing history and what it really is, but it's definitely harder to write about than to talk about!

And yeah, my school has basically made us start our PS, EPQ and even begin our UCAS profiles already! No rest for the wicked :wink:

I chose number 47 - 'Why and with What Consequences was India partitioned in 1947?' I wanted something more specific, to help keep my essay more focused.

I wouldn't mind doing an EPQ, no such opportunities come around at my college. We're not encouraged at all :-l
I chose number 47 - 'Why and with What Consequences was India partitioned in 1947?' I wanted something more specific, to help keep my essay more focused.

I wouldn't mind doing an EPQ, no such opportunities come around at my college. We're not encouraged at all :-l

That sounds good! Good idea to keep it focussed haha, that's definitely becoming an issue with mine...

Is there no way you could submit one independently? It counts as another AS I think, some unis take it in place of an AS subject if you miss the grades. :s-smilie:
That sounds good! Good idea to keep it focussed haha, that's definitely becoming an issue with mine...

Is there no way you could submit one independently? It counts as another AS I think, some unis take it in place of an AS subject if you miss the grades. :s-smilie:

The thing is with your question, there's a lot of scope to include whatever you like, it's just that it's really easy to go overboard and write too much. Are you aiming to do up to 4,000 words, or just get over the 2,000 minimum? D:

I think what you are doing it on has to be verified by a member of staff at your centre, so no, I could not do it. I wouldn't mind another AS as well, seens as I'm certain I'll fail one subject!
I'm doing the Robson Essay competition as well. I've had a mad moment and decided to do the one on William I (not sure how many others are opting to do a medieval question?). I'm at the 800 word mark, whereabouts is everybody else? :biggrin:
Original post by permanenthelp!
I'm doing the Robson Essay competition as well. I've had a mad moment and decided to do the one on William I (not sure how many others are opting to do a medieval question?). I'm at the 800 word mark, whereabouts is everybody else? :biggrin:

I'm at 1,000. Are you harvard referencing?

I was doing a medieval question but couldn't find any information anywhere so I had to change.
I'm at 1,000. Are you harvard referencing?

I was doing a medieval question but couldn't find any information anywhere so I had to change.

Yeah I'm Harvard referencing. Out of interest which Medieval question were you going to do and which one are you doing? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending