The Student Room Group

Polygamy

In westernised countries such as UK and USA, why is polygamy illegal?

Is it simply a question of laws being "a result/remnant of the times in which religious beliefs were the backbone of the law", as FireGarden mentioned? Or do these respective countries have non-religious justification of having such a law?
(edited 9 years ago)
You're asking for a debate where the moral codes from outside (religion) or inside (personal feelings) aren't supposed to feature, when it's precisely these codes that will be the source of such laws.

I would say the countries didn't even need to feel justified - these laws are probably a result/remnant of the times in which religious beliefs were the backbone of the law. They don't change because people grow up in such a society, accept the values they've been brought up with, and propagate it on. Some disagree, which happens with any particular moral or value; sometimes they may even have a better case, as our society evolves on what works (at the time, as incremental improvement) and not whats best/optimal, but it isn't necessarily enough to cause change.

I think a lot of people like the family-orientedness of society, and I'm unsure of the affect allowing polygamy would have on it - but I would suspect it wouldn't be favourable over all.
Reply 2
Original post by Alrounder79
In westernised countries such as UK and USA, why is polygamy illegal?

I would preferably not want this to delve into a religious debate or of personal feelings of the immorality of engaging in polygamy, rather more into what the respective countries felt justified illegalising/criminalising what is essentially a contract between people.

I always think it's silly when people say things like this...

but what if people's justifications or arguments are based on religious beliefs or teachings? Then are you saying that those arguments just don't count, because you can't debate them...?
Reply 3
Original post by FireGarden
You're asking for a debate where the moral codes from outside (religion) or inside (personal feelings) aren't supposed to feature, when it's precisely these codes that will be the source of such laws.

I would say the countries didn't even need to feel justified - these laws are probably a result/remnant of the times in which religious beliefs were the backbone of the law. They don't change because people grow up in such a society, accept the values they've been brought up with, and propagate it on. Some disagree, which happens with any particular moral or value; sometimes they may even have a better case, as our society evolves on what works (at the time, as incremental improvement) and not whats best/optimal, but it isn't necessarily enough to cause change.

I think a lot of people like the family-orientedness of society, and I'm unsure of the affect allowing polygamy would have on it - but I would suspect it wouldn't be favourable over all.

Original post by Pride
I always think it's silly when people say things like this...

but what if people's justifications or arguments are based on religious beliefs or teachings? Then are you saying that those arguments just don't count, because you can't debate them...?

Fair enough, I hadn't considered that those codes would have been the source of such laws. I'll edit the question.
I have absolutely no problem with it being legal, it's probably just the islamic-ness of it that puts people off
Reply 5
I find nothing objectionable with polygamy - both polygyny and polyandry. I don't agree with current laws on this.

Original post by zippity.doodah
it's probably just the islamic-ness of it that puts people off

It might have something to do with Islam's rules on polygamy being sexist and discriminatory. It's actually polygyny.
Reply 6
Original post by DeLite
I find nothing objectionable with polygamy - both polygyny and polyandry. I don't agree with current laws on this.

It might have something to do with Islam's rules on polygamy being sexist and discriminatory. It's actually polygyny.

The quran is not to be taken literally. You have to consider the time it was created and during then islam was very minor. The only reason why polygamy was allowed was to extend islam. Men were also outnumbered by women therefore to extend islam they could marry up to four.
Reply 7
Original post by fatimaQ
The quran is not to be taken literally. You have to consider the time it was created and during then islam was very minor. The only reason why polygamy was allowed was to extend islam. Men were also outnumbered by women therefore to extend islam they could marry up to four.

Oh how I'd love to see you present this idea that the Quran is time-relative/culture-relative to TSR's I-Soc and see the wrath that will come down on you.

If only more people thought like you, the Muslim world would actually benefit greatly. Unfortunately, you have "Sunnis" and "Shias" dominating 90% of Islam and they don't share your loose interpretations.
Reply 8
Original post by zippity.doodah
I have absolutely no problem with it being legal, it's probably just the islamic-ness of it that puts people off

Same, although many may not feel it's morally right, there are very few valid reasons why it should be illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending