The Student Room Group

Would you ever not date someone because of their strong political views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichaelYEAH
Agreed, most of the people who are commenting know literally nothing about UKIP's policies and just brand them as racists because that is a lot easier for them.

exactly, the funniest bit is where they call ALL UKIP voters ignorant, racist etc.
Conservatives?
Original post by Anonymous
exactly, the funniest bit is where they call ALL UKIP voters ignorant, racist etc.

When in reality, around 6 UKIP members expressed views which were seen as racist/sexist/homophobic. Nigel Farage has dealt with them and it's clear that some lunatics slipped through the net.

Ah well, ignorance is bliss and those who don't know better will just call UKIP racist. Those who do know better are usually leftists who vote Green Party because they want to save the environment. Yeah, right.
Reply 23
I'm no UKIP supporter, but something like 16% of non-whites voted for them. Of course, some of their white British-born voters have racist or xenophobic views/attitudes, but many of them just want more controlled immigration or/and are hostile to the EU, as opposed to being just completely intolerant bigots.
Reply 24
Original post by RayApparently
Conservatives?

Apologies, I forgot this one! Perhaps I'll do a separate thread: would you date a Tory?

:wink:
I'd never date anyone who supported the BNP, UKIP, or the Tories. Or anyone religious, while we're at it.
Original post by James222
they do. They go out of their way to appeal so the racist vote

Of course they do :rolleyes:

I'm not going to argue with you.
pussy is pussy regardless of what it's attached to.
Original post by Uni Kid
Apologies, I forgot this one! Perhaps I'll do a separate thread: would you date a Tory?

Lol, but as with the other main parties I doubt many people would say 'no'. i was just wondering why they weren't there.

Some of my best friends are Tories.

Well... I know them. :tongue:
I'm genuinely shocked that more people wouldn't date a UKIP supporter than wouldn't date a revolutionary communist.
Original post by LJStudent
I'm genuinely shocked that more people wouldn't date a UKIP supporter than wouldn't date a revolutionary communist.

Well most revolutionary communists I've met have been very irritating and dogmatic, but there isn't much inherently wrong immoral about it, more inherently idealistic, which isn't really objectable. They're all Trotskyists, not Stalinist or Maoist.

Whereas a lot of people see UKIP as inherently bigoted.
Original post by Mankytoes
Well most revolutionary communists I've met have been very irritating and dogmatic, but there isn't much inherently wrong immoral about it, more inherently idealistic, which isn't really objectable. They're all Trotskyists, not Stalinist or Maoist.

Whereas a lot of people see UKIP as inherently bigoted.

People seriously need to do more research before they open their mouths, that's all I can say. I'm willing to put money on it that the majority of people who are calling UKIP a racist party haven't even read their policies.
Original post by LJStudent
People seriously need to do more research before they open their mouths, that's all I can say. I'm willing to put money on it that the majority of people who are calling UKIP a racist party haven't even read their policies.

It's hardly the most crazy conclusion to come to, considering the things various candidates, and Farage, have said. They try to say it's some fringe weirdos- harder when it's the leader of the party disparaging Romanians...

UKIP are kind of grey area, they are like the 1990s Tories on social issues, there's an underlying bigotry, but they can't be compared to the BNP on racism.
I don't think I could date a guy who has extreme (from my pov) political views such as BNP and UKIP. Me and my bf have pretty different views on politics/religion/life in general lol but that's mainly a cultural thing, him being American and me being British, we just know better than to talk about politics and religion, we agree to disagree :biggrin:
Original post by the-black-lotus
I don't think I could have a similar enough life outlook to anyone more right wing than the conservatives to get on with them enough. I'm quite keen on the life that capitalism has given me so if they were genuinely a revolutionary communist surely they'd try to get me to lose a lot of this

This is very contradictory. You say you don't like the right wing but then go on to praise capitalism. Capitalism is the right wing, and left wing parties are inherently a lot closer to communism (although still some way from it in Britain at least).

Left/right defines the ecconomic spectrum, whereas libertarianism/authoritarianism defines social issues, and I suspect this second scale is the real reason you don't side with conservatives (but then unfortunately most parties apart from perhaps the greens are authoritarian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_compass
It would probably not bother me unless they were an extreme vegan radical feminist or something that believed in the abolition of money.
Original post by Uni Kid
I'm no UKIP supporter, but something like 16% of non-whites voted for them. Of course, some of their white British-born voters have racist or xenophobic views/attitudes, but many of them just want more controlled immigration or/and are hostile to the EU, as opposed to being just completely intolerant bigots.

Non-white is different from first generation immigrant.

It's entirely possible that an Indian who came here in the 50's may support closing the border, it's likely though that there are more Panda's in the UK than first generation immigrants supporting Ukip. Indeed, the rhetoric alone is destroying what little immigrant base the Tories had.

Original post by Uni Kid

Of course people would date Tories. Who's going to pay for their credit card or take them out to fancy cocktail bars and big steak meals rather than a tree hugging session where you eat some leaves. :tongue:
Anyone who is even considering voting labour in the upcoming election is obviously too stupid for me to date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Anyone who is even considering voting labour in the upcoming election is obviously too stupid for me to date.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean anybody but conservative?
Why on earth, except for the fact that they might be a bit wearingly overearnest, would anyone not date a revolutionary communist?

Are people supposing that this person is actively engaged in seditious anti-state activism, this as opposed to only having a poster of Trotsky on his dorm wall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending