The Student Room Group

York vs Edinburgh vs abroad for Advanced Computer Science

I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Computer Science. I'm looking to study at a masters level and have two offers from York and Edinburgh, where do people recommend to study?

I'm also considering the option of a course abroad, are there any recommendations for english taught masters for this?
What part of CS are you interested in? Most places are stronger in some areas than others. You can usually get a pretty good idea by looking at the MSc course offerings.

For example, from the Edinburgh site, they specialize in

Analytical and Scientific Databases

Computer Systems, Software Engineering and High Performance Computing

Theoretical Computer Science

Lot's of good places in the US, but it's impossible to say without knowing exactly what you are interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by lewis.e
I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Computer Science. I'm looking to study at a masters level and have two offers from York and Edinburgh, where do people recommend to study?

I'm also considering the option of a course abroad, are there any recommendations for english taught masters for this?

York is considered better overall.
Original post by lonttt530
York is considered better overall.

Better than the School of Informatics at Edinburgh? I sensibly wonder.

I am still less confident that York is better than "abroad", though we have at the moment very limited information about that second.
In the US, not many universities offer taught masters in computer science, especially on the high end of the scale (I know because I did a couple months search a while ago).

Stanford is definitely the most reputable one, but their admission rate is less than 10%. They are good at many things.

Georgia Tech specializes in AI and robotics.

Carnegie Mellon is also strong in AI and has a really cool joint robotics program, but they are more known for human computer interaction.

University of Toronto has a more theoretical focus, and ties to biology.

I wouldn't worry about rankings too much. Better overall doesn't mean much when they suck (or don't offer courses) in fields you are interested in. At PG level knowledge you'll get is much more important than name of the school.

For example, Imperial's MSc Advanced Computing is almost entirely AI, and if you are not interested in that, it would be a very bad choice, regardless of how highly the school is ranked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending