The Student Room Group

Law student, but considering becoming an airline pilot...

Hi, sorry if this comes across as a bit of a ramble but just in need of some advice. Cheers :smile:

I'm currently at the end of the first year of university (studying a law degree). For a long time through school, I seriously considered becoming a commercial airline pilot. I was keen to have some kind of back up plan and I read before going to uni that it's best to do an unrelated degree, and that's what I did (I know you don't necessarily need one to be a pilot, but I was and still am genuinely interested in the legal field as an alternative).

In the end though I ruled out becoming a pilot, partly because I felt I may not have it in me to get through it all (I'm not terrible at maths/physics but not exactly brilliant either - ended up with a C at A level Maths)... but also the huge amount to spend on training without a guarantee of a job at the end + generally the many challenges of getting there made me question whether it is worth it.

However as I start to make plans for post-uni, recently the idea has popped back into my head again. So I guess my question is: if I'm fairly average at maths/physics is this not a career for me? Would I be able to get through the rigour of training etc? Also I'm guessing this is subjective, but is the career as an airline pilot honestly worth it, or should I just stick to becoming a lawyer..?

Thanks for reading!
Original post by Anon217
Hi, sorry if this comes across as a bit of a ramble but just in need of some advice. Cheers :smile:

I'm currently at the end of the first year of university (studying a law degree). For a long time through school, I seriously considered becoming a commercial airline pilot. I was keen to have some kind of back up plan and I read before going to uni that it's best to do an unrelated degree, and that's what I did (I know you don't necessarily need one to be a pilot, but I was and still am genuinely interested in the legal field as an alternative).

In the end though I ruled out becoming a pilot, partly because I felt I may not have it in me to get through it all (I'm not terrible at maths/physics but not exactly brilliant either - ended up with a C at A level Maths)... but also the huge amount to spend on training without a guarantee of a job at the end + generally the many challenges of getting there made me question whether it is worth it.

However as I start to make plans for post-uni, recently the idea has popped back into my head again. So I guess my question is: if I'm fairly average at maths/physics is this not a career for me? Would I be able to get through the rigour of training etc? Also I'm guessing this is subjective, but is the career as an airline pilot honestly worth it, or should I just stick to becoming a lawyer..?

Thanks for reading!

Hi Anon217,

The short answer is yes. The level of Maths and Physics required to be an airline pilot is GCSE level at best. The major stumbling block for someone in your position will be financing your training to the tune of around £85,000.

S
Reply 2
Original post by Schleigg
Hi Anon217,

The short answer is yes. The level of Maths and Physics required to be an airline pilot is GCSE level at best. The major stumbling block for someone in your position will be financing your training to the tune of around £85,000.

S

Ok, thanks for your response :smile:
Original post by Anon217

Thanks for reading!

Hi, just came across your question after asking myself the same thing, yet I am planning to go to uni but have no idea if I should study Aviation technology at Leeds or Law at Oxford. I want to be a pilot in the end but also having a law degree would be useful as a backup. Where are you now in terms of your career and what would you recommend, what would you have wished you'd done at my age.

- Year 12 Student
Original post by mosamin786
Hi, just came across your question after asking myself the same thing, yet I am planning to go to uni but have no idea if I should study Aviation technology at Leeds or Law at Oxford. I want to be a pilot in the end but also having a law degree would be useful as a backup. Where are you now in terms of your career and what would you recommend, what would you have wished you'd done at my age.

- Year 12 Student

No hesitation in saying that you should do Law. Aviation degrees are nothing to do with flying aircraft professionally, the only thing you need to do that is a licence and experience. Aviation is a volatile market and it's currently the worst it's ever been so set yourself up for a career in the Law and pursue aviation on the side. If it works out OK then that's great. If it doesn't then you aren't doing yourself over career and life wise.
Original post by OllieG65
Similar scenario here

I have always wanted to become an airline pilot however this is a struggle due to not having the funding. I’ve always wanted to go in to aviation industry (pilot preferably) but wouldn’t mind going in to airline management. I have hence found the Aviation technology at Leeds and wondering if this is a good degree for my situation(I’m in yr12-start course in 2022).Has anyone who has done the course or know anything more about it know if it is worth the degree or just do an unrelated degree such as engineering? What are the jobs the people have got? Would it help having this degree to do pilot training down the line?

Thanks for reading this :biggrin:

Read my post above and replace Law with Engineering / ‘an unrelated career’.
Original post by mosamin786

- Year 12 Student

I know someone who read music at Oxford (was organ scholar) and ended up gettiing on the Virgin pilot training course straight afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending