The Student Room Group

RAF basic training - questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanielMcewan
Hi, I'd like to say good luck with your training in the future, well done! My training starts at the end of the month and I was just wondering what the Adventure Training entails during basic? Thanks
Daniel

Adventure Training was one of my favourite experiences during training. You do activities such as canoeing, rock climbing, mountaineering and caving. It's like a week of luxury compared to Halton and you'll almost certainly enjoy it!
Original post by jasonjb1985
What time do you get to sleep at night and get up the next day? Is basic training really tiring? Also how many weekends have you been allowed to go home?

Basic training is pretty tiring and sleep deprivation is arguable one of the toughest aspects of the 10 weeks. You'll get a few more hours sleep as the weeks go on and by the end of the course (with the exception of the night before final inspection) I was getting about 7 hours sleep which is plenty. It is hard to begin with but you'll soon adjust. Surviving on a few hours sleep is something you just get used to.
Original post by ryan9900
Basic training is pretty tiring and sleep deprivation is arguable one of the toughest aspects of the 10 weeks. You'll get a few more hours sleep as the weeks go on and by the end of the course (with the exception of the night before final inspection) I was getting about 7 hours sleep which is plenty. It is hard to begin with but you'll soon adjust. Surviving on a few hours sleep is something you just get used to.

Thanks for that! What about weekends home? How many are there and are they long weekends? I suppose this is all stuff that you have to adjust to.
Original post by jasonjb1985
Thanks for that! What about weekends home? How many are there and are they long weekends? I suppose this is all stuff that you have to adjust to.

I think we had around 3 or 4 weekends where we could go home, and the rest were either working weekends or local leave, where you couldn't really go any further than the local towns. Weekends were average length and you always had to be back by 6pm Sunday.
Do u get paid for the ten weeks of basic training if so how much
Original post by bridge lyndon
Do u get paid for the ten weeks of basic training if so how much

Yes, it's quite easy to find out the pay so i'll let you look into it yourself.
How much do you get paid a week during basic training?
Reply 27
Check out he raft careers website, they have everything on there....including pay!
Reply 28
How much do you get paid during basic training?
Original post by cypskat
Check out he raft careers website, they have everything on there....including pay!

Original post by Rhys77
How much do you get paid during basic training?

Rhys77 the answer has been posted above, check the website everything is on there. It is the yearly amount but you should be able to figure out how much you can earn per month with a little bit of working out. Also if you read through most of the threads about pay you will find that there are some deductions (food and accommodation).
Reply 30
hey,

are you allowed home during basic training like at weekends? just wondered as im currently going through the recruitment process.
First few weeks, no. After that, mostly, if you and your cohorts behave.
Reply 32
Anyone know when you travel down for BRTC do we pay for train tickets or do we get sent them again like PRTC? Thanks in advance.
Reply 33
Has anyone ever had to change date for basic training is it possible?
Hey dude, well done on your achievements so far!
I was just wondering if you could sum up the different stages in the application process for me, I have my AST coming up and I just want to know how many stages there are after that, I've swapped from applying for WSOp NCA to Weapons Technician, so I have done the CBAT and scored highly, how will I find the AST? Thank you!
Hi guys

On your name tags at BRTC is it your surname and last 3 digits of service number?

NorthFace
Reply 36
Original post by NorthFace
Hi guys

On your name tags at BRTC is it your surname and last 3 digits of service number?

NorthFace

Hi NF it's a long long time since I did any form of boot camp, and I have no idea what the answer to your question is! But what I can tell you is that if you need to get tags sorted before you get there, THEY will tell you ( and will specify the format). If you need tags sorted when you get there, THEY will tell you.

Best advice buddy is to chill until you get started. Then listen very carefully to all instructions. Basic training is hard, both mentally and physically, but you shouldn't get into trouble if you haven't been given clear directions.

Good luck mate.
Would you recommend this job opportunity with the RAF to someone who was interested but not into sports? I'm prepared to do exercise but I wouldn't say I enjoy sports.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laurenbb30
Would you recommend this job opportunity with the RAF to someone who was interested but not into sports? I'm prepared to do exercise but I wouldn't say I enjoy sports.

With the amount of PT you'll be expected to do to stay fit, I'd say that you have to be more than "prepared to do exercise", you should enjoy it.

Sports is not a big deal, but there will be certain times when your expected to give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest