The Student Room Group

course information!

I want to apply for a course that will lead me into a primary teaching role! is education studies recommend for this or are there other/better choices?
Reply 1
Original post by CharlotteLouise95
I want to apply for a course that will lead me into a primary teaching role! is education studies recommend for this or are there other/better choices?

I can help you with this.

Firstly you need to make sure you have the required GCSEs and A-levels. Then you need a good degree, at least half of which should be in a primary school subject. Once you have completed all of this you need to complete a 1 year PGCE Primary Education qualification.

Hope this helps. Quote me if you need any additional information.
Original post by KH94
I can help you with this.

Firstly you need to make sure you have the required GCSEs and A-levels. Then you need a good degree, at least half of which should be in a primary school subject. Once you have completed all of this you need to complete a 1 year PGCE Primary Education qualification.

Hope this helps. Quote me if you need any additional information.

ah okay! so obviously the ages I want to teach are 5-7 year olds would you say I'm better off doing a early years/primary education course and then do the PGCE or do an education studies course and do the PGCE after that?
Reply 3
ah okay! so obviously the ages I want to teach are 5-7 year olds would you say I'm better off doing a early years/primary education course and then do the PGCE or do an education studies course and do the PGCE after that?

I would advise the primary education course, then PGCE. However it is possible to do a degree in any primary subject then do the PGCE. you do not require primary education or education studies.

What point are you at? Are you finishing A-levels and going to university in September?

Do you have the required grades at GCSE and A-level?

Which universities/courses are you looking at? You need to be aware courses can be very different from one university to the next.

Please provide further information and I will be happy to advise you further with a more considered response.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
There are two routes to go into direct Primary teaching.

The first one is a Primary Education Batchelor of Education which is 3 years and means after the degree; You achieve QTS and you can teach in a Primary school.

The second option is a degree (in a curriculum subject preferrably) which lasts for 3 years usually but sometimes 4 and then a Primary PGCE for 1 year which means It's extremely hectic and stressful.

It's also much more competitive to get into a Primary PGCE but the 2nd option gives you more options If you decide to not go into Primary teaching but If you definitely want to be a Primary school teacher then I would go for Option 1.
Original post by KH94

I would advise the primary education course, then PGCE. However it is possible to do a degree in any primary subject then do the PGCE. you do not require primary education or education studies.

What point are you at? Are you finishing A-levels and going to university in September?

Do you have the required grades at GCSE and A-level?

Which universities/courses are you looking at? You need to be aware courses can be very different from one university to the next.

Please provide further information and I will be happy to advise you further with a more considered response.

I finished my a levels last year, and I am currently on my gap year (I decided very late that I did want to go to univeristy) and am applying for entry this September!

The universities I am looking at are Anglia Ruskin, Bath Spa, London South Bank, London Met and University of Hull - all of which I am looking at various Early Years Teaching courses!
Reply 6
I finished my a levels last year, and I am currently on my gap year (I decided very late that I did want to go to univeristy) and am applying for entry this September!

The universities I am looking at are Anglia Ruskin, Bath Spa, London South Bank, London Met and University of Hull - all of which I am looking at various Early Years Teaching courses!

Ok. As Barry (5th post) said there a 2 options into Primary teaching. It is also very true that the PGCE is a very competitive course. As Barry points out Option 1 in his post limits you to a career in teaching (you can, I believe, switch to secondary if you want at a later time), many teachers I have spoken to in secondary regretted studying education degrees as it makes a career change rather difficult. You may be sure you want to be a teacher now, but are you 100% you want to be a teacher until you retire?

I agree with Barry completely. I would personally go with a National Curriculum subject degree, then do the 1 year PGCE. I had intended to be a teacher, and that was the route I would have taken. My reason is that, as a teacher once told me, once you have an education degree you are limited to that career, whereas any other degree will help you enter a range of careers. A degree he said should have flexibility, so that the degree is worthwhile in the long-term no matter what you go on to do.

In conclusion, it is up to you which route you take, but I encourage you to gain as much experience as you can in a primary classroom setting and seek advice before you decide.

Hope this helps.

Have you sat and passed the DfE professional skills tests yet? These are an ITT course pre-entry requirement now as you won't get on a course without passing them. Best check with the above institutions when their cut-off dates are as this may limit your options for September 2014.
Original post by claretmad
Have you sat and passed the DfE professional skills tests yet? These are an ITT course pre-entry requirement now as you won't get on a course without passing them. Best check with the above institutions when their cut-off dates are as this may limit your options for September 2014.

The ones that I am looking at do not lead to qts and would require me to do a pgce to do so - none of these have mentioned a skills test?
The ones that I am looking at do not lead to qts and would require me to do a pgce to do so - none of these have mentioned a skills test?

OK, I see. You only need to pass these tests to get a place on an ITT course so you would only need to pass them before you did your PGCE to gain QTS.

I'm going to be studying early years education and then hopefully a pgce after! I think that's the best route as then you aren't always going to have a carer just with a teaching degree as you have the childcare degree and there are many options you can go to from having it :smile: x
Original post by Charlotteyy
I'm going to be studying early years education and then hopefully a pgce after! I think that's the best route as then you aren't always going to have a carer just with a teaching degree as you have the childcare degree and there are many options you can go to from having it :smile: x

Yeah that's what I thought! Where are you going to be studying? X
Yeah that's what I thought! Where are you going to be studying? X

I'm going to bedford uni, where are you going to be studying? X
Original post by Charlotteyy
I'm going to bedford uni, where are you going to be studying? X

I only set my application on Tuesday haha! I've had offers from London South Bank and Anglia Ruskin but just waiting on the others now! x
I only set my application on Tuesday haha! I've had offers from London South Bank and Anglia Ruskin but just waiting on the others now! x

Oh really haha I only sent mine off a couple of weeks ago! I was like you and decided last minute I wanted to go lol x
Reply 15
Original post by Barry2011
There are two routes to go into direct Primary teaching.

The first one is a Primary Education Batchelor of Education which is 3 years and means after the degree; You achieve QTS and you can teach in a Primary school.

The second option is a degree (in a curriculum subject preferrably) which lasts for 3 years usually but sometimes 4 and then a Primary PGCE for 1 year which means It's extremely hectic and stressful.

It's also much more competitive to get into a Primary PGCE but the 2nd option gives you more options If you decide to not go into Primary teaching but If you definitely want to be a Primary school teacher then I would go for Option 1.

I am doing ba[hons] in education. The primary with the qts is an alternative but you still have to do a qualifying year in a mainstream school to teach. You could do the primary degree with qts and work in any private school or language school however.

Quick Reply

Latest