The Student Room Group

What happens if you don't attend your uni exam because you're too anxious?

I have an exam in the morning (pharmacy) for which although I have been preparing for, I can't seem to implicate anything whilst attemping past papers because I'm way too anxious. Things didn't go as I'd hoped and I've not had a good year hence my summer exams have suffered as a consequence.
I think most likely I will fail tomorrow...is it worth going too? I'm not exaggerating as I seriously feel very helpless.

Has anyone else not attended an exam due to anxiety that has branched off of their depression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're prepared not to go to the exam why prepare in the first place :/

Just go. Talk to someone, a friend about it who can go with you to the exam to calm you down.
Then it becomes a 100% chance of failure than if you went maybe a stroke of luck/miracle could occur.
Well, seeing as you will be considered as absent, you will need to look at your university's policy for that. My friend got the dates mixed up and missed her exam. She was allowed to 'resit' but her entire module was capped at 40% as a result. That's not an extenuating circumstance but as far as they're concerned, neither is yours until you talk to them about it. IF they accept it as an extenuating circumstance then you'll be made to sit it later. If not, you've missed the exam and you could be capped or the module could be taken as failed, depending on how your university handles it. It might be worth going anyway. If you fail it, you have to resit it anyway, but I don't know much about extenuating circumstances and the required proof of such.
Reply 4
Original post by asoupcgtt
I have an exam in the morning (pharmacy) for which although I have been preparing for, I can't seem to implicate anything whilst attemping past papers because I'm way too anxious. Things didn't go as I'd hoped and I've not had a good year hence my summer exams have suffered as a consequence.
I think most likely I will fail tomorrow...is it worth going too? I'm not exaggerating as I seriously feel very helpless.

Has anyone else not attended an exam due to anxiety that has branched off of their depression?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go and do your best in the exam, but talk to someone at uni at soon as possible. If you do fail, with extenuating circumstances you may be able to redo them as a first sitting, or even next summer if you'd rather take a year out or something instead. What your options are and what is and isn't possible will depend on your personal circumstances and on your university. They cannot help you if you don't ask them to though.
I literally had the same issue with my exams a few weeks ago, all I can say is hang in there and make yourself go...it'll be worse not to do it than to fail and you'll feel better when your done !
Reply 6
Original post by Aula
Go and do your best in the exam, but talk to someone at uni at soon as possible. If you do fail, with extenuating circumstances you may be able to redo them as a first sitting, or even next summer if you'd rather take a year out or something instead. What your options are and what is and isn't possible will depend on your personal circumstances and on your university. They cannot help you if you don't ask them to though.

In a practical exam a few weeks back one of the lectures/teachers herself saw that I looked 'very hungover' which I was not but seemed so since I couldn't help cry the hours leading upto the exam and she told me to speak to the exam coordinator about arranging Extenuating Circumstances forms but I didn't since I considered it unfair as everyone has ups and downs through life not just me. But now I'm thinking I should have. There is still time to submit a form so I don't know. But yh I shall still go the exam and try my best whatever the outcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by asoupcgtt
In a practical exam a few weeks back one of the lectures/teachers herself saw that I looked 'very hungover' which I was not but seemed so since I couldn't help cry the hours leading upto the exam and she told me to speak to the exam coordinator about arranging Extenuating Circumstances forms but I didn't since I considered it unfair as everyone has ups and downs through life not just me. But now I'm thinking I should have. There is still time to submit a form so I don't know. But yh I shall still go the exam and try my best whatever the outcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely speak to someone and try to get extenuating circs sorted. You may not need to use it. But if you've not done well enough/not as well as you'd like to, then having a record of it now will help when it comes to results. Leaving it until results is too late.

Yes, everyone has ups and downs, and I totally get where you're coming from, but there's nothing wrong with asking for help if it's needed :yep:
You fail?
Reply 9
Original post by sliceofcake
Well, seeing as you will be considered as absent, you will need to look at your university's policy for that. My friend got the dates mixed up and missed her exam. She was allowed to 'resit' but her entire module was capped at 40% as a result. That's not an extenuating circumstance but as far as they're concerned, neither is yours until you talk to them about it. IF they accept it as an extenuating circumstance then you'll be made to sit it later. If not, you've missed the exam and you could be capped or the module could be taken as failed, depending on how your university handles it. It might be worth going anyway. If you fail it, you have to resit it anyway, but I don't know much about extenuating circumstances and the required proof of such.

There's still around a week remaining to apply for extenuating circumferences which I'm kinda contemplating. I'm in first year so 40% I'd be happy with lol :biggrin: What makes me apprehensive is the fact friends might think I'm doing this for attention or what not and that it's not a valid a reason. But i feel like it is because it's not fair that Ii feel like this and jeopardize my future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending