The Student Room Group

Your favourite way to cook steak and salmon?

Scroll to see replies

Salmon - freeze at -20C for 24 hours (UK standard for preparing fishes for raw consumption, http://food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/fish-shellfish/freezing-requirements-guidance/#.U56yX_mIBcY), then eat it raw like a steak.
With some kind of heat. It doesn't work otherwise.
For steak: High heat to start then turned right down to cook through to required degree of "done". Imperative to then wrap in foil and leave to rest. for 15 minutes. Bit of water into juices in pan, add butter and garlic plus stock cube a la Pierre White. Drizzle over steak for service.

For fish: Only ever poach / steam it. The flesh is too delicate for anything else. Salmon I like rare like a steak. Superb quality and extremely fresh salmon can be eaten raw with soya sauce.
Reply 24
Salmon with wholegrain mustard cooked in owen :smile: mm)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like ribeye and rump. I rub it with pepper and some lemon juice then fry in a really hot pan with butter. Sometimes I add whisky or honey. Like it rare but can't have it at the moment.

For salmon I usually buy the smoked ones but would occasionally buy salmon steak for poaching or quick fry with butter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BBQ type cooking with marination.
Salmon fillet with the skin still on, with garlic, butter and chilli, lightly fried for about 10 minutes. B. E. A. Utiful :P
Original post by donutaud15
I like ribeye and rump. I rub it with pepper and some lemon juice then fry in a really hot pan with butter. Sometimes I add whisky or honey. Like it rare but can't have it at the moment.

For salmon I usually buy the smoked ones but would occasionally buy salmon steak for poaching or quick fry with butter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

preggers?
Original post by Scumbaggio
preggers?

Trying to so I've been told no rare steaks.
Reply 30
Blue to rare, probably blue. Not too knowledgeable about cuts, I'll usually just order one of the more expensive ones if I'm in a restaurant so I'm likely getting a better cut.

I bake salmon with a little lemon juice in foil. I tend to drown it in hollandaise though. :colondollar: Smoke salmon on the other hand - on a bagel with cream cheese and a bit of lemon juice, or occasionally I'll be persuaded to have some dill sauce on it (also known as 'fox piss' in Denmark).
Reply 31
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm having these for my tea.

You can get British beef with similar marbling. That wagyu is nothing special.
Reply 32
Original post by Ronove
Blue to rare, probably blue. Not too knowledgeable about cuts, I'll usually just order one of the more expensive ones if I'm in a restaurant so I'm likely getting a better cut.

I bake salmon with a little lemon juice in foil. I tend to drown it in hollandaise though. :colondollar: Smoke salmon on the other hand - on a bagel with cream cheese and a bit of lemon juice, or occasionally I'll be persuaded to have some dill sauce on it (also known as 'fox piss' in Denmark).

Hmmmm... I thought you were vegetarian.

Do the waiters look at you funny whenever you order it blue?
Reply 33
Original post by Alfissti
Hmmmm... I thought you were vegetarian.

Do the waiters look at you funny whenever you order it blue?

Why did you think I was a vegetarian? :lol:

I actually can't remember the last time I ordered a steak where I wasn't with my dad - it tends to be him ordering a steak that makes me feel like having one, and he likes them blue to rare, so I don't tend to pay too much attention to the waiter's reaction when it's not just me asking. :tongue: Otherwise I'm generally tempted by pasta dishes or lamb. Mmmm lamb. Lamb in a crust of herbs and nuts. Mmmm.
Original post by tehFrance
Steak
Firstly I always eat Wagyu, depending on cut I massage a small amount of olive oil followed by sea salt and black pepper then gently cook to medium rare within a few minutes.

Salmon
I don't cook it, I buy smoked salmon and eat it out of the packet :lol:

Generally you can't get authentic wagyu meat outside of Japan.
Salmon i like to make up a pesto and breadcrumb coating (dunk salmon in flour, then egg then roll in a mix of breadcrumbs and green pesto) then bake in the oven till cooked and crispy, Serve with new potatos and green veg.
Steak:
I like rump and fillet. I like it lightly seasoned with salt, pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Then fry in a pan with butter and garlic. Medium or medium-well done is the best for me. Served with mushroom and onion sauce.
Otherwise, I like a thinly beaten out steak that is tender and I cook this well-done with lots of butter.

Salmon:
Simply loosely wrapped in foil. A pinch of sea salt and in the oven. Drizzle with lemon.
Reply 37
Original post by Dr Pesto
Generally you can't get authentic wagyu meat outside of Japan.

Good wagyu is bred in the UK (very few producers) but also in Australia where it's slightly more common.
Original post by WillowSummers
With some kind of heat. It doesn't work otherwise.

Salmon ceviche? Works without heat!
Reply 39
No red meat fa meee.

As for fish my favorite meat: I love to steam in banana leaf then top with a fruity marmalade. If I want something quick I fry it then break it off the bone and dip in sauces 'specially tartar :drool:

Quick Reply

Latest