The Student Room Group

Cambridge Pharmacy Course?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
Its true, the majority of pharmacy students are either medicine rejects or dentistry rejects.
But, their job is still very necessary, if a prescriber makes a mistake and the pharmacist doesn't rectify it, the patient dies.
Theres no need to insult them

BTW, you could make more money much faster in dentistry with much fewer hours if that is your ONLY priority.
Banking and finance even more. Private practice as a doctor would require you to be a GP or a consultant, and you still have to work a certain number of hours under the NHS too.

I still haven't made up my mind over dentistry/medicine :/
certainly wouldn't put pharmacy as my back up, just because its not worth it for me.

so what will be your back up?
Original post by sachinisgod
so what will be your back up?

I might not put one tbh. MAYBE optometry though, it seems pretty cool. Although, in terms of saturation etc it suffers from similar to problems to pharmacy I fear...
I might not put one tbh. MAYBE optometry though, it seems pretty cool. Although, in terms of saturation etc it suffers from similar to problems to pharmacy I fear...

well i assume you are a intelligent person so what if u dont get into med/ dent repeatedly, u gotta have some sort of plan B in life no?

A good friend of mine from high school is doing Optometry (going into his final year in October), and he says that the salary for optometrists is worse than for pharmacists! Apparently for their pre-reg year they get paid the NMW, and don't get much more when they qualify.

He's lucky his dad has his own practice, so he'll be working there and earning more, but it speaks volumes about the profession.
Original post by thegodofgod
A good friend of mine from high school is doing Optometry (going into his final year in October), and he says that the salary for optometrists is worse than for pharmacists! Apparently for their pre-reg year they get paid the NMW, and don't get much more when they qualify.

He's lucky his dad has his own practice, so he'll be working there and earning more, but it speaks volumes about the profession.

Its not all about the money.
Optometry would be more enjoyable than pharmacy IMO. Its the most similar to dentistry which I really enjoy
Its not all about the money.
Optometry would be more enjoyable than pharmacy IMO. Its the most similar to dentistry which I really enjoy

How would it be more enjoyable? (Genuine question by the way)
How would it be more enjoyable? (Genuine question by the way)

More patient contact, more practical, more treating people like patients rather than customers
This is compared to retail pharmacy btw
More patient contact, more practical, more treating people like patients rather than customers
This is compared to retail pharmacy btw

I'm not so convinced, but I guess if that's what you think, then go for it :wink:
I'm not so convinced, but I guess if that's what you think, then go for it :wink:

Retail pharmacy isnt healthcare, its really just a bit more than being a shop keeper in terms of people contact.
Its far too much stress and pressure for very little reward
Retail pharmacy isnt healthcare, its really just a bit more than being a shop keeper in terms of people contact.
Its far too much stress and pressure for very little reward

To be honest, it's okay a few years after graduating, but I don't think I'd like to go into retail in the long term, unless I manage to get permanent locum jobs. I would personally prefer going into hospital pharmacy, where (in my opinion) you get to use your clinical knowledge a lot more and actually make prescribing decisions and have a decent amount of input into patient care.
To be honest, it's okay a few years after graduating, but I don't think I'd like to go into retail in the long term, unless I manage to get permanent locum jobs. I would personally prefer going into hospital pharmacy, where (in my opinion) you get to use your clinical knowledge a lot more and actually make prescribing decisions and have a decent amount of input into patient care.

Don't get me wrong, I think retail pharmacists are vital. But I REALLY couldn't be one.
Hospital pharmacy would be more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending