The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics A 2014 Non Calculator Higher Tier

Scroll to see replies

Hey, does anyone know the answer about the temperature of that old man's room/house with that rearanging formulae?
Original post by Lolaaaaaaaa
same and im meant to get an a but not anymore, whats it to get an a do you predict

125.. maybe.
Last years papers were much easier
Reply 62
I found the paper generally quite easy, the time/distance question was 6 hours not 3 or 9hrs 36 that some are saying.

The vector question was (-m+n) and 2(-m+n) therefore parallel.

Also the last question was a= 2 b=3 c=1
you had to find out what procedures had been applied to the original cosine graph
- a was 2 because it stretched vertically by a multiplier of two (it was twice as high).
- b was 3 because it had been squashed horizontally (the waves were 3 times as frequent.
- c was 1 because the whole graph had been moved upwards 1 on the y axis.

Hope this helped anyone
Reply 63
I thought a=3 because it was going up to +3 on the y axis instead of 1?
Reply 64
Didn't like this paper :frown:
Hoping that calculator will be easier! Anyone got any ideas on the grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nath98
Didn't like this paper :frown:
Hoping that calculator will be easier! Anyone got any ideas on the grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it should be low because most of the people found it hard
Reply 66
Original post by TayS
I thought a=3 because it was going up to +3 on the y axis instead of 1?

yes it was, but it was only at -1, imagine it was supposed to be at +2 and -2 but then got moved up one so that it was -1 and +3
if that makes any sense?
Original post by asunny465
i was talking about the speed distance question..sorry
and i got 40 for the prize question but ik i've got that wrong :/

Oh, don't worry about it.
In the speed question she was going at 50miles/hour, and that is the same as 80km, then I just divided, I think I got a number between 7-9.
Original post by ebruxoxo
I see what you mean but no, its the way they've laid it out. i thought that at first but if you read the little like description thing it said that whole line equaled m

I read it, half the line was m...
It said something like A to M
Reply 69
Original post by Yousf
DAM I PUT 96 MINUTES:eek:

I got that too!
Hey, does anyone know the answer about the temperature of that old man's room/house with that rearanging formulae?

I don't know if this is right but I got that is was higher than the minimum temperature and I got around 24-26 degrees Celsius, that question tricked me at first
Yea, I got 48, because it said 'estimate' so i used 2000 instead of 2014
Original post by BrainJuice
Oh, don't worry about it.
In the speed question she was going at 50miles/hour, and that is the same as 80km, then I just divided, I think I got a number between 7-9.

are you sure it was mile per hour...some people are saying its km/hour
Reply 73
Original post by 97blue
yes it was, but it was only at -1, imagine it was supposed to be at +2 and -2 but then got moved up one so that it was -1 and +3
if that makes any sense?

Ah yes! That does make sense, thanks!
Original post by CaitlinN15
I don't know if this is right but I got that is was higher than the minimum temperature and I got around 24-26 degrees Celsius, that question tricked me at first

same here, my mind went completely blank. I couldnt do it for till the last 15 minutes then i somehow did it and got 25.. yay just wanted to check if i was on the right track! thank yu
same here, my mind went completely blank. I couldnt do it for till the last 15 minutes then i somehow did it and got 25.. yay just wanted to check if i was on the right track! thank yu

haha considering with the state I was in during the exam with crying etc. as I had a fight before the exam I'm glad I got the same as someone haha. and it's okay. What did you get for the pigs one?
Original post by CaitlinN15
haha considering with the state I was in during the exam with crying etc. as I had a fight before the exam I'm glad I got the same as someone haha. and it's okay. What did you get for the pigs one?

sadly i didnt have time to finish that question..hopefully some marks for the workings out! and oh poor you, i hope youre alright!
To be honest, i think it was the hardest non calc paper ever made, normally i get around 83-88 marks. And this..tbh i feel like id be lucky if i got 65..
I messed up so much...

i bloody hope these grade boundaries will be low so i can still have an A even if i can't get an A*:frown:
Reply 77
What did everyone get for the pigs question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gokuluffy
4x+y=25

x-3y=16

something like this

anyone?

x = 7, y = -3
Original post by Nath98
What did everyone get for the pigs question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

3, you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending