The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Speech and Language Therapy

**Phil, the University of Reading representative, is out of the office this week so our student ambassadors Anja and Amy are using this account to reply to threads**

Hi I'm a second year Speech and Language therapy student. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding either the course, exams or placements!
Just for information:
It's a unique vocational course with an accredited qualification after four years enabling you to practice as a registered Speech and Language Therapist.

Also feel free to ask me anything at all in general about life at Reading University! :redface:

Amy
I was just wondering what A-level grades you obtained to get onto the course and how much experience you had? As I am worried about not making one of the grades as the requirements are AAB but I'm on course for 2A*S and a C. However, I have plenty of experence with speech therapy as my, now 5-year old cousin who has autism, recieved therapy and I was closely linked and included in his sessions so I understand how the therapy sessions proceed and how to observe progress, how to encourage progress and also how to help improve communication skills to a certain level and how to correct myself to maximise the improvement of communication. I have also managed to gain work shadowing in an NHS speech therapy clinc, this will mean I will be communicating with professional speech therapists and will have some access to books and materials on speech therapy and I am also planning on basing my EPQ on the impacts of speech therapy on preschool children with communiction difficulties, which will involve intensive research and understanding of speech therapy. So i was enquiring whether if it has to be AAB or if A*'s are considered to allow flucuation of the B grade
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hey Amy! I'm Kyaira from the US and I'm so happy you posted this because I was just on this universities website earlier today researching their speech therapy program. I'm currently an undergrad in the US studying communication disorders and Spanish. I would have to apply for the Masters program of course because that's how it works here in the US and I'll have a bachelors already when I start applying. I have a good grasp of how grad school will be here in the US, but I would like to know what it's like studying this subject in the UK. What is it like for you? What is the mode of instruction (I've heard the teaching style is much different there)? In the US, getting into this graduate program is extremely competitive, what is it like in the UK? Do these program usually accept international students? What is the University of Reading like in general? What are some things I should consider when deciding to study in the UK? What is the cost of living in Reading and what can you tell me about the town? Sorry about all the questions just trying to gather as much information as I can. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jessiejayr
I was just wondering what A-level grades you obtained to get onto the course and how much experience you had? As I am worried about not making one of the grades as the requirements are AAB but I'm on course for 2A*S and a C. However, I have plenty of experence with speech therapy as my, now 5-year old cousin who has autism, recieved therapy and I was closely linked and included in his sessions so I understand how the therapy sessions proceed and how to observe progress, how to encourage progress and also how to help improve communication skills to a certain level and how to correct myself to maximise the improvement of communication. I have also managed to gain work shadowing in an NHS speech therapy clinc, this will mean I will be communicating with professional speech therapists and will have some access to books and materials on speech therapy and I am also planning on basing my EPQ on the impacts of speech therapy on preschool children with communiction difficulties, which will involve intensive research and understanding of speech therapy. So i was enquiring whether if it has to be AAB or if A*'s are considered to allow flucuation of the B grade

Hey! Wow it sounds like you have a lot of experience and good understanding of what Speech and Language Therapy is all about! As you probably have heard the course is very competitive as grades are important but they only account for 50% of your application. It's important to show why you want to do the course so they may be lenient if you don't quite reach your grades. It may be an idea to contact admissions. Here is the link to the department: http://www.reading.ac.uk/pcls/ug/cls-ug-bsc-speech-language-therapy.aspx

Personally I gained my place via an access diploma and I had over five years working as a SaLTA in a special needs school which I think really helped my application.
I hope this helps and good luck with you results :smile:
Amy
[QUOTE=Kyaira;48323226]Hey Amy! I'm Kyaira from the US and I'm so happy you posted this because I was just on this universities website earlier today researching their speech therapy program. I'm currently an undergrad in the US studying communication disorders and Spanish. I would have to apply for the Masters program of course because that's how it works here in the US and I'll have a bachelors already when I start applying. I have a good grasp of how grad school will be here in the US, but I would like to know what it's like studying this subject in the UK. What is it like for you? What is the mode of instruction (I've heard the teaching style is much different there)? In the US, getting into this graduate program is extremely competitive, what is it like in the UK? Do these program usually accept international students? What is the University of Reading like in general? What are some things I should consider when deciding to study in the UK? What is the cost of living in Reading and what can you tell me about the town? Sorry about all the questions just trying to gather as much information as I can. Thanks!

Hi Kyaira,
I'm actually an undergraduate but we have some of our lectures with the MScs. I'll try and answer your questions as best as I can! Firstly, yes we absolutely accept international students. The course is very competitive so as meeting the entry requirements your personal statement needs to show that you have a genuine passion and understanding of the subject.
he undergraduate course is 4 years long compared to the 2 year masters so their timetable is a lot fuller than ours and they have shorter holidays in order to fit the required placement hours in. The ones I've spoken to have said that they have to put a lot of hours in but they all enjoy the course!
In terms of teaching, the course is taught via lectures and more interactive seminars. We are very well supported and are assigned a personal tutor when we first start and all the staff encourage contact via email or face to face meetings if we need help.
We have a large well stocked library and access to a wide range of journals to help with exam revision and coursework and you can buy books quite cheaply from amazon or occasionally second hand from students that have graduated.
In terms of living costs, it really depends on where you live and your lifestyle! Here is a link to our halls web page so you can have a look at the different options we offer as costs vary from hall to hall.
http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/life-accommodation.aspx
Alternatively you could live off campus in a shared house.
The university has a letting agency that you may wish to look at: http://www.rusulettings.com/

As for the town itself, I've settled really well here coming from a small sussex village. You can walk into the town centre from campus in under half an hour and there are regular buses. There is a large shopping centre called the oracle as well as a pedestrianised town centre and there are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs as well as a large cinema. We also have the kennet and avon canal that runs through Reading as well as the river thames so there is something for everyone!
I hope this has helped to answer some of your questions, please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with
Amy :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending