The Student Room Group

Could someone mark my introduction so far for a formal broadsheet newspaper article?

Could someone mark my introduction so far for a formal broadsheet newspaper article? And tell me how I could improve and add high level punctuation or connectives. The topic is dangerous dogs.

My headline is: Bark not bite: Dangerous Dogs Act in the limelight as attacks upsurge.

Unnecessary, dog attacks are on the rise. For instance, the number of virtuous victims taken to hospital due to dog bites has almost doubled within a decade, new figures have proven. According to hospital statistics, the number of dog bites reported at A&E departments within the United Kingdom has increased by 95 percent over the past decade and reached 7,254 within the last year.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by euphxria

Unnecessary, dog attacks are on the rise.

So it seems are unnecessary commas. And as well perhaps unnecessary qualifiers, since it is difficult to imagine dog attacks as necessary.

For instance, the number of virtuous victims taken to hospital due to dog bites has almost doubled within a decade, new figures have proven.

The "for instance" is redundant. This demonstrates the truth of the claim, not an instance of it.

What are "virtuous victims"? You mean blameless or innocent victims.

Also, the figures don't prove something, a contention formerly in dispute, they demonstrate, show, or reveal.

For instance, the number of virtuous victims taken to hospital due to dog bites has almost doubled within a decade, new figures have proven. According to hospital statistics, the number of dog bites reported at A&E departments within the United Kingdom has increased by 95 percent over the past decade and reached 7,254 within the last year.

While these figures don't contradict each other, they present a confusing picture. The number of victims going to hospital has doubled while the number of bites treated at hospitals has increased by 95%...?

There has been a dramatic rise in the number of people bitten by dogs, according to new statistics released by [name respectable agency]. The figures reveal that A&E admissions for dog bites have increased by as much as 95 percent over the last decade.

Quick Reply