The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

About to start postgrad study at LSE - some worries?

So I plan on doing a master's degree in a mathsy subject at LSE this year and I was delighted to receive an offer. I have heard some off-putting things from some LSE students and I just wanted to ensure that this view was in the minority!

1) I have heard that it can be hard to make friends either due to international cliques (lack of home students?) or a lack of people having a down-to-earth attitude?

2) Is the night-life not that brilliant, despite it being in London? This is particularly important to me as I find this the best way to meet girls (not that I'm a casanova or anything) and I would like to meet a nice English rose with similar ambitions to me :P (Yes, I do want to work in the city!)

3) As I am having to fund the course myself, I can't really afford to live in London. Will this be a huge disadvantage for meeting new people and for my learning, having to commute 4 hours each day?

4) Also, how hard is it stepping up to a master's degree?

I would appreciate any of your insights and sorry if I come across ignorant!

Reply 1
Original post by WittyManQ
So I plan on doing a master's degree in a mathsy subject at LSE this year and I was delighted to receive an offer. I have heard some off-putting things from some LSE students and I just wanted to ensure that this view was in the minority!

1) I have heard that it can be hard to make friends either due to international cliques (lack of home students?) or a lack of people having a down-to-earth attitude?

2) Is the night-life not that brilliant, despite it being in London? This is particularly important to me as I find this the best way to meet girls (not that I'm a casanova or anything) and I would like to meet a nice English rose with similar ambitions to me :P (Yes, I do want to work in the city!)

3) As I am having to fund the course myself, I can't really afford to live in London. Will this be a huge disadvantage for meeting new people and for my learning, having to commute 4 hours each day?

First of all, congrats on your offer.

Dude, I'd calm down a second and take a breather if I were you. You just got accepted into one of the best universities in the world which has the lowest applicants/offers ratio in the UK.

Why the hell are you so worried about these issues? Sure, I've heard here and there that LSE's night life can be somewhat boring but I've also heard that it's like any other college/university or job for that matter: if you're someone that's nice, not too shy, then you'll have no problem making friends and going out to party or whatever you like doing on your off time. It's all about the attitude, don't think about it, just be kind, work hard, and good things will happen, you'll automatically attract people.

Also, I've only ever been to London twice - as a kid - but I'd imagine it's one of the best cities in the world in terms of nightlife and bars/clubs. Again, if somehow by miracle, you find no one at the LSE to go out with, there are tons of other universities in the city and young people who you can meet.

Sorry if I was a bit rough but it kinda befuddles me that you're more focused on these issues at the moment, rather than the fact that you're going to the LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by swissstud
LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS.

...& Political Sciences. :angry:
Reply 3
Original post by swissstud
First of all, congrats on your offer.

Dude, I'd calm down a second and take a breather if I were you. You just got accepted into one of the best universities in the world which has the lowest applicants/offers ratio in the UK.

Why the hell are you so worried about these issues? Sure, I've heard here and there that LSE's night life can be somewhat boring but I've also heard that it's like any other college/university or job for that matter: if you're someone that's nice, not too shy, then you'll have no problem making friends and going out to party or whatever you like doing on your off time. It's all about the attitude, don't think about it, just be kind, work hard, and good things will happen, you'll automatically attract people.

Also, I've only ever been to London twice - as a kid - but I'd imagine it's one of the best cities in the world in terms of nightlife and bars/clubs. Again, if somehow by miracle, you find no one at the LSE to go out with, there are tons of other universities in the city and young people who you can meet.

Sorry if I was a bit rough but it kinda befuddles me that you're more focused on these issues at the moment, rather than the fact that you're going to the LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS.

Haha, I'm not that worried but having fun at university is just as important to me as good grades at a good uni. I need a balance.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
...& Political Sciences. :angry:

It is LSE, not LSE & P :tongue: hehe
Dude, you can grind with me. I'm going there too.But i am a married guy.haha..Don't worry bro. Once we are there, we might have no time to think about all that stuff. From what i read around, they always have spot quiz and some subject the marks are 100% final exam. .Can u feel the adrenaline?
Original post by WittyManQ

Don't worry about making friends, just be nice to everyone you meet during the first couple of weeks and then decide to keep in contact with the ones you click with. Orientation week is meant to help with that! Also London nightlife is amazing just need to find the right places...

I personally feel that a four hour commute is too hectic and personally don't know anyone who does that. Mostly people live at most two hours give or take a few.

Just more work but doesn't feel that different!

Feel free to PM if you have any further questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending