The Student Room Group

S2 OCR june 2014 (not mei) thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Blade
Thought the integration of sin was sly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just be thankful they didn't make us calculate Var(X) - they technically could have as knowledge of C4 is on the S2 spec.
Reply 21
Questions I dun goofed

Probability density : making q the lower limit

Finding sd and mean on the interval question. It was half done

The question saying by considering the amount of people that did not attend

Some wordy questions

Few more

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's one question I'm not sure about.

When it asked whether the normal assumption was necessary for the previous two parts of the question, I gave a very vague explanation for why it was necessary in the first part - I think I said something along the lines of "Yes, as the calculation relied on it having a normal distribution."

Do you think that would cost me a mark?

I skimped on that part as I thought the focus would be on the second, saying no because n was large so CLT could be used.
Original post by The_Blade
Questions I dun goofed

Probability density : making q the lower limit

Finding sd and mean on the interval question. It was half done

The question saying by considering the amount of people that did not attend

Some wordy questions

Few more

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were supposed to make q the lower limit on the probability density question - you had to set the integral of f(x) between 1 and q to equal 0.75. If you didn't get q = 1/3, you must have done something else wrong.
Reply 24
Original post by Ranibizumab
Damn it! I put q= pi/3. Rookie mistake.

Apart from that it was ok. Unless there were any other stupid mistakes like that I think I got everything else.

For the central limit Q I said a normal dist was needed for the first part but not the second.

Definitely didn't get 9.84% for part 8i...

2.73%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's correct.
Reply 26
Original post by studentro
You were supposed to make q the lower limit on the probability density question - you had to set the integral of f(x) between 1 and q to equal 0.75. If you didn't get q = 1/3, you must have done something else wrong.

Do you think you'd still get full method marks for doing the integral between 0 and q and making it equal to 0.25?

When it asked whether the normal assumption was necessary for the previous two parts of the question, I gave a very vague explanation for why it was necessary in the first part - I think I said something along the lines of "Yes, as the calculation relied on it having a normal distribution."

I skimped on that part as I thought the focus would be on the second, saying no because n was large so CLT could be used.

I really couldn't say. How many marks was it out of? I thought the question itself was "Is a normal approximation needed".
EDIT: Oh, and speaking of marks, how much was 8i? Just two?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Teraad
Do you think you'd still get full method marks for doing the integral between 0 and q and making it equal to 0.25?

I really couldn't say. How many marks was it out of? I thought the question itself was "Is a normal approximation needed".

2 marks yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Yes :smile: Only 2 marks
How did you guys do 7 part 1?

It has n=50, sum of t = 4050 and sum of t^2= something like 329800 ...?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Anyone say that when the test was carried out at a 10% sig level, it supported the managers claim
lol the paper suggested they were racist!)
Original post by Teraad

That's a perfectly valid method. You wouldn't lose any marks as long as you did it correctly - did you get q = 1/3? If so, you'd get full marks.

Original post by Teraad
I really couldn't say. How many marks was it out of?

I think part iii was 2 marks in total. iii part (a) was to explain whether part i needed the assumption and iii part (b) was to explain whether part ii needed it.

And yeah, 8i was just 2.
Reply 31
Original post by MOHAQUES
Anyone say that when the test was carried out at a 10% sig level, it supported the managers claim
lol the paper suggested they were racist!)

You only had to say if it would have an increased chance of supporting the managers claim/increase the chance that the manager was right.

The answer is yes because the probability of rejecting H0 was higher (0.05 > 0.1). I may have messed up the wording in exam (for some reason I talked about type 1 errors ugh) but the general idea was right.
Reply 32
Did the last question ask for an exact value of λ because i gave a decimal (ln(5)=1.609)
Original post by Teraad
You only had to say if it would have an increased chance of supporting the managers claim/increase the chance that the manager was right.

The answer is yes because the probability of rejecting H0 was higher (0.05 > 0.1). I may have messed up the wording in exam (for some reason I talked about type 1 errors ugh) but the general idea was right.

I'm pretty sure you were supposed to use the test statistic (0.0834 or w/e it was) from the previous part and show that H0 would have been rejected at a 10% significance level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MOHAQUES
Did the last question ask for an exact value of λ because i gave a decimal (ln(5)=1.609)

It didn't, that will be fine.

I said "the calculation is dependent on the distribution of the underlying parent population of candidates and therefore we must know this distribution, i.e. that it is normal, to proceed". I'm not sure yours is enough but "Yes" will count for something on its own.

Also, what did you put for the "why is it only an estimate" question?

I remember getting 0.0661 rather than 0.0662 for the 7i.). Do you remember the questions for q4 and 7?
I'm pretty sure you were supposed to use the test statistic (0.0834 or w/e it was) from the previous part and show that H0 would have been rejected at a 10% significance level.

Do you think it would be enough to say "At the 10% significance level H0 is rejected and so using this level supports the mananger's claim"? Or do you have to specifically write 0.0834<0.10, because I didn't :frown:
yeah thats right
you have say that 0.0834 is less the 0.1
so reject Ho
manager claim is right
Reply 38
For q7 it will probably say 'ans rounding to 0.66'
n=50, Σt = 4050 and Σt^2=329800 (i think)
For Q7 part (i) calculate the proportion of students who did not finish the exam in 90 mins
part (ii) carry out a two tailed test at the 10 percent sig level ...
Reply 39
Original post by Big-Daddy
I said "the calculation is dependent on the distribution of the underlying parent population of candidates and therefore we must know this distribution, i.e. that it is normal, to proceed". I'm not sure yours is enough but "Yes" will count for something on its own.

Also, what did you put for the "why is it only an estimate" question?

I remember getting 0.0661 rather than 0.0662 for the 7i.). Do you remember the questions for q4 and 7?

If by the "why is it only an estimate question" you mean number 3, its because we don't actually know the probabilities, we've just estimated them from the results.

Its like if you had a table showing 6 heads and 4 tails, you'd estimate the probability of getting heads = 0.6

Original post by Big-Daddy
Do you think it would be enough to say "At the 10% significance level H0 is rejected and so using this level supports the mananger's claim"? Or do you have to specifically write 0.0834<0.10, because I didn't :frown:

You wouldn't even need to say that it supports his claim or calculate anything, you just needed to say that the probablilty of it supporting his claim increases, as you're more likely to reject H0 with a greater significance level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending