The Student Room Group

CuCO3 Help

Why is it that there are 3 oxygens bonding with the carbon? I thought C had a charge of 4+ and O a charge of 2-, so why is there a third oxygen?

Any help would be appreciated.
CO3 has a charge of 2- overall. Bases (alkaline) contain carbonates and these are what I think to be weaker alkalines.
I'm afraid you might just have to know that carbonate is just CO3 without going into detail why it isn't CO2 at this level, unless it has something to do with just being in an aqueous state.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by econam
Why is it that there are 3 oxygens bonding with the carbon? I thought C had a charge of 4+ and O a charge of 2-, so why is there a third oxygen?

Any help would be appreciated.

The carbonate ion has a -2 charge (+4-6=-2)
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie Diep
Bases (alkaline) contain carbonates and these are what I think to be weaker alkalines.

Metal carbonate are not alkalis, they are not even bases.

They are salts.
Original post by Pigster
Metal carbonate are not alkalis, they are not even bases.

They are salts.

When a metal carbonate is in aqueous, it should dissociate and leave behind some hydroxide by taking a proton from the water, so is slightly alkaline.
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The carbonate ion has a -2 charge (+4-6=-2)

Thanks for that:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
When a metal carbonate is in aqueous, it should dissociate and leave behind some hydroxide by taking a proton from the water, so is slightly alkaline.

That's true, but it doesn't make what you wrote earlier correct.
Original post by Borek
That's true, but it doesn't make what you wrote earlier correct.

Do you want to explain? I also didn't specifically say that metal carbonates are alkalis.
Reply 8
This is one of these cases when the original statement is so confusing and misleading it is even hard to tell what is wrong about it.

Bases (alkaline) contain carbonates

Not all bases contain carbonates.

and these are what I think to be weaker alkalines.

Weaker than what?

As Pigster stated, carbonate is a salt. Yes, its solutions are alkaline, but it doesn't make it a base (unless you mean Bronsted-Lowry base, but I doubt that's a concept OP is aware of).

Quick Reply

Latest