The Student Room Group

Gothic literature

Hi, as part of my A2 course I have to identify the key features of Gothic literature and find examples. So far I have, in the way of key features:
Atmosphere of mystery and suspense, ancient prophecy, castle/old mansion, omens, the supernatural, inexplicable events, gloom/horror, damsels in distress, tyrannical male, some form of romance (often forbidden or not reciprocated)
And for examples ( not including Dracula as that is the text we are studying):
Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), the once and future king (t.h. white),
Picture of Dorian grey (Oscar Wilde), Jekyll and Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson), Rebecca, house in the strand and Jamaica inn (Daphne du maurier), hunchback of notre same (victor Hugo), woman in black (Susan hill), Sherlock holes series (Arthur Conan Doyle) and watch the wall my darling (Jane Aiken hodge)
Can somebody confirm those examples (some are obvious some are borderline) and if you could add more features or examples it would be appreciated :smile:
It's quite a broad task, what in particular is it geared towards? Analysis of a certain text?

The examples mentioned above all seem suitable; assuming you can justify them within your selected use of the term Gothic.

There's a popular habit amongst English professors to teach the Gothic chronologically. Starting with some of the older castle novels, such as Otranto, and Udolpho. they trace the development through to Frankenstein of the attributes you've listed. As a result, you'll always score big points for mentioning early Gothic fiction.

What I think might be interesting is to maybe question why Gothic fiction engages with the features you've selected. For example, alot of early Gothic fiction focuses on Castles/old Manor houses, which have fallen into illegitimate wealth. Many of the problems experienced by the protagonists is a result of 'new money' or 'dirty money'.

If you have more specifics, I'm currently woefully out of sync with the A level syllabus but know plenty about the topic at hand, so would be happy to help. :h:
Original post by Nadnight258
Hi, as part of my A2 course I have to identify the key features of Gothic literature and find examples. So far I have, in the way of key features:
Atmosphere of mystery and suspense, ancient prophecy, castle/old mansion, omens, the supernatural, inexplicable events, gloom/horror, damsels in distress, tyrannical male, some form of romance (often forbidden or not reciprocated)
And for examples ( not including Dracula as that is the text we are studying):
Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), the once and future king (t.h. white),
Picture of Dorian grey (Oscar Wilde), Jekyll and Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson), Rebecca, house in the strand and Jamaica inn (Daphne du maurier), hunchback of notre same (victor Hugo), woman in black (Susan hill), Sherlock holes series (Arthur Conan Doyle) and watch the wall my darling (Jane Aiken hodge)
Can somebody confirm those examples (some are obvious some are borderline) and if you could add more features or examples it would be appreciated :smile:

All those are correct really. You can definitely put The Beetle and Wuthering Heights in there. Also, some consider Nothanger Abbey by Jane Austen to be Gothic text. The Woman in Black is considered Gothic too. So is The Woman in White, well it was post-Gothic, but still considered Gothic literature. A heavy, book, over 650 pages!
Reply 3
I have also read of 'The historian' being used also (I have forgotten the author).

Quick Reply

Latest