The Student Room Group

pharmaceutical science to pharmacy

i applied to do pharmacy, but yesterday i really messed up, so my uni decided to offer me a place in pharmaceutical science. they said that if i do well in my first year, they could offer me a place in the pharmacy course.
so my question is that has anyone been in my situation before?
how differant is pharmaceutical science compared with pharmacy? they said that the major course content is the same apart form 3 modules.
i am hoping to get into pharmacy but that meant spending an additional year in uni but my main concern is getting through the first year of the pharmaceutical science course with good enough results for me to get transfered!!!!!
Reply 1
You know what you have to do. Head down and work your ass off in the first year.
Reply 2
When i went for my interview after applying for pharmacy through ucas extra, there was a seperate interview for successful first year pharmaceutical sciences students. I think there was about 10 of em and im guessing quite alot of em got in!

This was @ LJMU, try ringing up unis who do this kinda thing, and ask how many successful students got onto pharmacy this year...

This should give you an idea whether its worth it or not...

Plus i think you MIGHT be able to move onto the 2nd yr, because both first years are so similar...if you're following me...Not sure about this at all tho!!
Just ring up everywhere!
Reply 3
As u might already know, i am totally against all these access type courses. I would much rather resit for one year and apply through ucas simply because it would give you better odds of getting a place in pharmacy - having applied to 6 courses instead of 1. No matter how similar, or for that matter dissimilar a pharaceutical science course maybe to MPharm - the fact of the matter is its not vocational like pharmacy and is not accredited by the RPSGP, so i highly doubt they will let you transfer to the second year of Mpharm. But I have heard of various unis offering trasfer into year 1 of pharmacy - and indeed they do - but to be frank their only incentive is to fill up the places in an under-prescribed course.

My 2 cents...
Yes, you will not be able to transfer into year 2 of MPharm, you will need to start again. I know someone from my university who did the first year of pharmaceutical sciences at Kingston before transferring, and someone else who I am doing pre-reg with who did their first year at LJMU in pharmaceutical sciences before transferring to pharmacy.

It's essentially the scientific parts of the MPharm degree - i.e. all the practice and law/ethics bits stripped out.

Latest