The Student Room Group

English single honours at York

Looking at the entry requirements for single honours English at York it states applicants are usually required to have a GCSE in a foreign language. I don't, however I do have a GCSE in Latin if that would count. Could anyone enlighten me on how lenient the university is with these types of requirements and if Latin may count? Much appreciated!
Original post by tryingmybest
Looking at the entry requirements for single honours English at York it states applicants are usually required to have a GCSE in a foreign language. I don't, however I do have a GCSE in Latin if that would count. Could anyone enlighten me on how lenient the university is with these types of requirements and if Latin may count? Much appreciated!

Latin should be fine. The entry requirements don't say you need a modern foreign language, just a foreign language, which Latin of course is. What they're looking for is general linguistic ability (so they know that students won't find their compulsory foreign literature module too difficult), which can be demonstrated through a GCSE in a classical language as well as a modern one. And given that Latin is one of the options they offer, I'd be very surprised if they said it didn't count.

To be absolutely sure, I'd e-mail them, but from the website it seems as though you've already met the requirement. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending