The Student Room Group

Should I re-apply to Oxford?

I got 4 As, 2 Distinctions and 3 Bs at GCSE. I got AAB in English Literature, English Language and Physics at AS. In my A2 year, I took up AS + A2 French after having never previously studied the language and I managed to get an interview for French at Somerville College (which I monumentally messed up, had no practice interviews, said all the wrong things, it was genuinely awful).
This year I feel like I may end up getting something like A*A*AC and I feel like I'll interview a lot better a second time around. I don't know whether I should just go to another university or if I should do a third year to do AS + A2 German and apply for French and German. I got a B in GCSE German, though saying that, my school was put under special measures.
My grades aren't fantastic but I managed to get an interview last time after a fairly unorthodox education thus far (I was ill during my GCSEs and had to stay at home, only coming in for exams during the last month or two, on top of everything else).
I really don't know if it would be worth it and it's causing me a lot of stress. What do you think?
An extra year to do one A level is not enough. If you were to take a gap year you would have to do substantially more than that to prove that it was a good use of your time, or many universities wont even consider you.

You kind of answered your own questions though. If Its causing you stress, then its simply not worth it. You gave it a go, and it didn't work out, so its time to focus your efforts elsewhere.
Think about the other Universities you have offers from and where you will best fit, and just go for it....Once your there Oxford will be a distant memory.
Reply 2
Original post by uniqsummer
An extra year to do one A level is not enough. If you were to take a gap year you would have to do substantially more than that to prove that it was a good use of your time, or many universities wont even consider you.

This is simply not true. In my extra year I took an AS to A2 and then dossed around for the rest of the year. I had no rejections through UCAS.
Of course it is an aspect of the overall application, but you do have to make it fulfilling and to prove it will be worthwhile.
I do not like the fact that the OP was rejected at the Interview stage , and now wants to take a gap year to do an A-level just for the sake of it, so that they can essentially try again.
Given your AS grades, I presume the A*A*A is in Lit, Lang and Physics. If you want to study French, I expect you'll see on the website that they expect one of the A*s to be in French! They definitely wouldn't accept a C. (I am of course making assumptions due to the fact you only started studying French a year ago) Of course, if getting an interview for French requires demonstrating your ability in a written preliminary exam then you're most likely above C grade at A2 level!

Reality is though, that reapplying to Oxford after a year out probably isn't a great idea as they don't usually like people taking gap years.
If you go and live in France for a year, however, then I'm sure it would be a different story!
Reply 5
you do have to make it fulfilling and to prove it will be worthwhile.

I'm still not sure where you are getting this from.

do not like the fact that the OP was rejected at the Interview stage , and now wants to take a gap year to do an A-level just for the sake of it, so that they can essentially try again.

The OP said that she mucked up the interview. If she had gone through the interview thinking it had gone fine and then got rejected this might be a cause for concern for a reapplication, but I think it is perfectly legitimate to apply again in these circumstances.

Original post by JizzaStanger
Reality is though, that reapplying to Oxford after a year out probably isn't a great idea as they don't usually like people taking gap years.

Pretty convinced that this is not the case.
Reply 6
Original post by JizzaStanger
Given your AS grades, I presume the A*A*A is in Lit, Lang and Physics. If you want to study French, I expect you'll see on the website that they expect one of the A*s to be in French! They definitely wouldn't accept a C. (I am of course making assumptions due to the fact you only started studying French a year ago) Of course, if getting an interview for French requires demonstrating your ability in a written preliminary exam then you're most likely above C grade at A2 level!

If you go and live in France for a year, however, then I'm sure it would be a different story!

My C is likely to be in Physics and my A*s in French and Lit, which is why I thought Oxford suited me so well. Based on uniqsummer's initial reply though, I feel like it'd be better just to give up on Oxford :/
Hey :smile:

If I were you I would reapply - you lose nothing by doing so unless, of course, you get your hopes up and invest all of your time into your application.

I applied this year with no expectation of getting in and I think that's why the process wasn't stressful for me - it was even enjoyable. You lose nothing by doing it!
Original post by boffdude
This is simply not true. In my extra year I took an AS to A2 and then dossed around for the rest of the year. I had no rejections through UCAS.

Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

Considering you're quite knowledgeable about this, I had to reject King's for UCL and my insurance. Say I fail to meet BOTH offers this year by a margin and then decide to retake the year for work experience and to pick up a new whole A level (+ retakes of the modules I messed up on.) Should I reapply to all the Unis I did this year and will I get straight rejections? (this includes King's)

Thanks for any help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by demetriap
I got 4 As, 2 Distinctions and 3 Bs at GCSE. I got AAB in English Literature, English Language and Physics at AS. In my A2 year, I took up AS + A2 French after having never previously studied the language and I managed to get an interview for French at Somerville College (which I monumentally messed up, had no practice interviews, said all the wrong things, it was genuinely awful).
This year I feel like I may end up getting something like A*A*AC and I feel like I'll interview a lot better a second time around. I don't know whether I should just go to another university or if I should do a third year to do AS + A2 German and apply for French and German. I got a B in GCSE German, though saying that, my school was put under special measures.
My grades aren't fantastic but I managed to get an interview last time after a fairly unorthodox education thus far (I was ill during my GCSEs and had to stay at home, only coming in for exams during the last month or two, on top of everything else).
I really don't know if it would be worth it and it's causing me a lot of stress. What do you think?

I think you should apply either way because you still have a chance of getting accepted! So go ahead and see if they give you the opportunity ! be optimistic! :wink: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending