The Student Room Group

Oxford Offer Based on A2 grades?

I've just done a Chemistry exam which I don't think went great. My offer is A*AA and I've just had another look at my offer letter and it says I need A*AA 'in the exams in the upcoming year' and 'at A2' level, although this appears to only refer to doing Chemistry A2. Does this mean that my offer is based on my A2 grades and not my A-Level grades as a whole? UCAS track says that it's at A-Level but I'm not so sure that that's correct. I've never heard of a university making an offer based on A2 levels only but I am worried. I wish I'd thought about this earlier. To get an A at a level I need 215 out of 300 UMS at A2 (based on my AS score) - so do you think I would be accepted with an A at A-Level over all? Am I worrying pointlessly? I reckon I have more chance of an A* in Maths.

In short I mean if I get a B at A2 in Chemistry (i.e. an A at A-Level), a B at A2 in Physics (also an A at A-Level) and an A* in Maths, for example, would I be accepted? Does it just mean that I have to do all my exams this year?

Thankyou to the other people who responded in another thread - I would like a definite answer though.
Reply 1
You should contact the admissions office at the college who have made you an offer to see what they *think* the offer they've made you means. That said, the offer on UCAS is the formal, legally-binding offer, so any ambiguity in the college offer letter (such as muddying the water by mentioning A2s, which seems really odd) really shouldn't matter - it's what's on UCAS that counts.
Reply 2
I just looked on the Oxford website and found this:

A-level
Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores.

I realise that this refers to UMS scores but do you think it also means that offers are not made based only on A2 level scores? After all, an A* depends on your AS score to some extent. I am wary about contacting the university because it might make them have second thoughts about it which could affect their decision on results day.
Original post by ps321

A-level
Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores.

I realise that this refers to UMS scores but do you think it also means that offers are not made based only on A2 level scores? After all, an A* depends on your AS score to some extent. I am wary about contacting the university because it might make them have second thoughts about it which could affect their decision on results day.

You don't technically get an A2 'grade'; you can't get a A2 certificate like you can get an AS certificate. Your offer will be for your overall A-level.
Reply 4
Original post by ps321

A-level

The offer is definitely based on your overall A-level grades - the confusion only arises due to the wording of the letter - no College spends time looking at A2 marks separately from the overall grades.
Original post by ps321

A-level

The decision is already made. As someone has said already, they've made an offer which is legally binding. If you get the grades, you've got the place and they can't change their minds!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending