The Student Room Group

Wjec m2 2014

Since there's no thread for WJEC M2 today, shows how unpopular our exam board is. The exam was alright, apart from the weird vector question.

Scroll to see replies

it was alright apart from the last 3 question

the AB^2 one, i had x as -44, everyone else got 45 so idk
part c on 6 i missed (crosses y axis) but as soon as i left i realised how it was done :/
and the last question i got my angle as 70degrees?

if i got say half marks on those 3 im still on an A so i think it should be alright?
how many questions/what questions were there? i'm convinced i've forgotten one... whether i missed it out or not i don't know xD
Reply 3
I also got 45 for x but was confused when you had to differentiate it with respect to t, but there were x's there and I was gonna use implicit differentiation but thought mehh and for 6 (c) you had to put the i bit to 0 eg -2cos(2t) = 0 so t= pi/4 and sub it into the position vector
i got 33.33 degrees...
Reply 4
Original post by imapedo
I also got 45 for x but was confused when you had to differentiate it with respect to t, but there were x's there and I was gonna use implicit differentiation but thought mehh and for 6 (c) you had to put the i bit to 0 eg -2cos(2t) = 0 so t= pi/4 and sub it into the position vector
i got 33.33 degrees...

I got the same for 6 (c)
Reply 5
Original post by Boblobster
how many questions/what questions were there? i'm convinced i've forgotten one... whether i missed it out or not i don't know xD

There were 7 questions, don't worry :smile: It was kind of strange because there weren't diagrams for the circular motion questions so it felt like there was supposed to be more.
that's alright then, panic over!
yeah i found it alright aye, the last question though took me for six a bit though because i thought i had u, not u^2 from before. ended up with all sorts of fun stuff the first time around! did spot it eventually though, but as a result i couldnt check for very long...
Reply 7
Can anyone remember their answer for the magnitude of force on 6a?
I know I screwed it up big time, especially the last question where I used u^2 as v^2 instead of using conservation of energy to find v^2. I wanna bang my head against a wall every time I think about it. That's 9 marks down the drain yay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jonj1
Can anyone remember their answer for the magnitude of force on 6a?

201 N
Original post by imapedo
201 N

At first I had 201 also, but then I thought I should use the magnitude rule root (a^2 + b^2) so changed my answer. Because with 201 you didnt take into account that I and J are seperate .... not sure if im right
Reply 11
I entirely messed this up. I know I got the projectiles and the last question wrong, I had x=35 not 45 and when you put that back into the original equation the distance between the two vectors only had an i component so I think it might have been 35. I was hoping that this would be one of my A* modules but I'd be lucky with a low A, 100 UMS in FP1 in January may have saved my a*se
Anyone else get 70degrees ish for the last question?? Hmmm not sure if ill get an A on this afterall. Hopefully c4 is better
Can anyone remember how many marks part b) of the last question was worth? I think I did okay on the rest of the paper, but I know I got that part completely wrong - I'd be lucky to get more than 2 marks from it :frown:

Original post by imapedo
i got 33.33 degrees...

Rather confusingly, x was actually a constant in this question, so it was just with respect to t
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MasonC14
I entirely messed this up. I know I got the projectiles and the last question wrong, I had x=35 not 45 and when you put that back into the original equation the distance between the two vectors only had an i component so I think it might have been 35. I was hoping that this would be one of my A* modules but I'd be lucky with a low A, 100 UMS in FP1 in January may have saved my a*se

Sorry if I misunderstood because your last statement was potentially slightly ambiguous, but do you realise that FP1 is not an A* module? You need 90% on average across any three modules out of FP2/3, M2, S2 and M3 or S3 (sorry if you knew this and you just meant FP1 would get you the 'A part' of your A*)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by bluebell_flames
Sorry if I misunderstood because your last statement was potentially slightly ambiguous, but do you realise that FP1 is not an A* module? You need 90% on average across any three modules FP2/3, M2, S2 and M3 or S3 (sorry if you knew this and you just meant FP1 would get you the 'A part' of your A*)

Yeah I know :smile: I meant to imply that FP1 would simply make up for my mistakes today and I just need to focus on making the A* boundary in the other modules, I was hoping that this one would be a high 90's but it was a completely different layout and structure to the previous years and I think it threw me a little
Original post by MasonC14
Yeah I know :smile: I meant to imply that FP1 would simply make up for my mistakes today and I just need to focus on making the A* boundary in the other modules, I was hoping that this one would be a high 90's but it was a completely different layout and structure to the previous years and I think it threw me a little

Oh I see - sorry for the misunderstanding... Best of luck with the rest of your modules :smile:
Original post by casparianStrip
I know I screwed it up big time, especially the last question where I used u^2 as v^2 instead of using conservation of energy to find v^2. I wanna bang my head against a wall every time I think about it. That's 9 marks down the drain yay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the exact same boat as you, know how you feel!!! :angry:
Does anyone know their answer for 6c? distance from the origin when the vector passes through the y axis..
Original post by bluebell_flames
Can anyone remember how many marks part b) of the last question was worth? I think I did okay on the rest of the paper, but I know I got that part completely wrong - I'd be lucky to get more than 2 marks from it

Part b was 9 marks for I and II

Quick Reply