The Student Room Group

CCEA AS1 Physics (11th June)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got 20.1 for the horizontal displacement so close to some here, maybe due to different rounding.
I said increased acceleration for the plane.
Reply 21
Original post by ehhwot
What? Increase acceleration

Posted from TSR Mobile

To increase the acceleration, the mass has to be decreased due to F = ma
Original post by pijips
Maybe less fuel? Not sure there is any other practical solution than less people or luggage, in the question before it made a point of mentioning the passengers and their luggage. Their flight would just be delayed

I just wrote increase acceleration hahah...didn't specify how, might be good for a mark. My friends all wrote about removing luggage and therefore decreasing weight and increasing acceleration, the excess luggage can be put on a different plane but I don't think that taking fuel or kicking passengers off the plane works.
Original post by Korra
I got 20.1 for the horizontal displacement so close to some here, maybe due to different rounding.
I said increased acceleration for the plane.

It was 38m. 20 was the range but that wasn't the total distance to the ground, at 20m it was still 2m in the air.
Reply 24
Original post by Frank the Tankk
It was 38m. 20 was the range but that wasn't the total distance to the ground, at 20m it was still 2m in the air.

Most people I know got in the 20s. Did anyone else get 38?
Reply 25

Are you sure? I worked it out by finding the horizontal distance for reaching the maximum height and then the horizontal distance from there to the ground and got 20.4

Original post by pijips
Are you sure? I worked it out by finding the horizontal distance for reaching the maximum height and then the horizontal distance from there to the ground and got 20.4

It was definitely 20.4m to the ground, the total displacement works out to be 20.4 if you add the two for its first portion and its second portion.
Reply 27
Original post by Jay-dawg
It was definitely 20.4m to the ground, the total displacement works out to be 20.4 if you add the two for its first portion and its second portion.

What was the speed to was projected at? And it was 40 degrees wasn't it?

Most people I knew got 38.
I used (u^2/g)sin2x to get 20m for the first part of the motion then found the time taken for the shotput to reach the ground (s = -2), at this point the shotput still had constant horizontal velocity so I used that t and the horizontal to calculate the further 18m it traveled. Idk, now that I think about it I could be wrong but I'm not sure :s
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Korra
What was the speed to was projected at? And it was 40 degrees wasn't it?

13.5 ms^-1 at 40 degrees. :smile:
Yea, I think you're right, it was 20.4...I think I'll still get a few method marks but for calculating t for s = -2 and such.
Reply 31
13.5 ms^-1 at 40 degrees. :smile:

Just did it and got 20.4

anyone get 116nm for the moments?
Just did it, it is 20.4 when I was putting it in quadratic I forgot the sin40 silly me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Korra
Just did it and got 20.4

That sounds remotely familiar, but I'm almost sure I got 161Nm, maybe one of us is dyslexic! :wink:
Reply 34
That sounds remotely familiar, but I'm almost sure I got 161Nm, maybe one of us is dyslexic! :wink:

Yeah, I got 161Nm.
Original post by Korra
Just did it and got 20.4

What was the woman's mass and the angle? :smile:
I got 20.4 but added 18 for it cus I thought you had to add the range (DOH)...silly, and I've been so adamant that it was correct hahaha (possibly because an Oxford candidate in my school made the same mistake as me idk). How many marks would I lose for not declaring it as my final answer? I'm thinking I'll get 3/5 as I had calculated 20.4m using s = -2 and the quadratic formula.
I got 20.4 but added 18 for it cus I thought you had to add the range (DOH)...silly, and I've been so adamant that it was correct hahaha (possibly because an Oxford candidate in my school made the same mistake as me idk). How many marks would I lose for not declaring it as my final answer? I'm thinking I'll get 3/5 as I had calculated 20.4m using s = -2 and the quadratic formula.

I reckon you could get 4/5, if you had the right answer before you added the range! :smile:
I reckon you could get 4/5, if you had the right answer before you added the range! :smile:

Hopefully! Haha...I really need an A in this after screwing up the practical:mad:
Hopefully! Haha...I really need an A in this after screwing up the practical:mad:

I'm exactly the same, my practical was AWFUL! :frown: And it doesn't help that the course I want to do needs two A*s and an A... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending