The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Got into LSE choice!

I applied for mathematics in the LSE Choice programme thing. Alhamdulilah, I got in. I was pretty surprised to get in since I wrote my personal statement in about 30mins and rushed to one of my old teachers to get a reference.. on the last day aswell. I just wanted to ask how competitive is it? My maths teacher said 1 place per 40 applications which I doubt..
Original post by rakin295
I applied for mathematics in the LSE Choice programme thing. Alhamdulilah, I got in. I was pretty surprised to get in since I wrote my personal statement in about 30mins and rushed to one of my old teachers to get a reference.. on the last day aswell. I just wanted to ask how competitive is it? My maths teacher said 1 place per 40 applications which I doubt..

Congrats :biggrin:

I'm going to move this to the university subforum as you should get more replies there.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

MASHALLAH, congrats :smile:

There's about 200 places and 400 applicants (was last year)
Hi!Congrats who got into LSE Choice 2014! I also got into LSE Choice for Economics. I tend to create a group for all LSE Choice students this year on fb so that we can have a chance to make more friends. Do you have fb? Can I add you as a member because I haven't known anyone in the LSE Choice this year on fb:smile: I am really pleased if anyone who joined LSE Choice last year can share some experience to us^^ Thank you very much in advance:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

Original post by Thao Nguyen
Hi!Congrats who got into LSE Choice 2014! I also got into LSE Choice for Economics. I tend to create a group for all LSE Choice students this year on fb so that we can have a chance to make more friends. Do you have fb? Can I add you as a member because I haven't known anyone in the LSE Choice this year on fb:smile: I am really pleased if anyone who joined LSE Choice last year can share some experience to us^^ Thank you very much in advance:biggrin:

I did the economics stream of Choice last year and now have an offer for Economics (L101) at LSE.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to get in touch.
Reply 6
Original post by kingtaco
I did the economics stream of Choice last year and now have an offer for Economics (L101) at LSE.

Congrats on the offer! May I ask- what were your A level predictions? I am applying for gov+ economics at LSE and just wanted some insight into the average grade set offered?
Reply 7
And congrats on getting into LSE choice! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dd1234
Congrats on the offer! May I ask- what were your A level predictions? I am applying for gov+ economics at LSE and just wanted some insight into the average grade set offered?

I was predicted 4 A*s in maths, further maths, economics and physics.
I would say the average predicted grades would be about A*A*A.

Good luck in your application and go ahead with any more questions :smile:
Reply 9
I was predicted 4 A*s in maths, further maths, economics and physics.
I would say the average predicted grades would be about A*A*A.

Good luck in your application and go ahead with any more questions :smile:

Thanks :smile: Would you say that the 2 A*s and A is a competitive application?
Also any tips, if you have on a successful application would be great!
What is Choice?
Original post by Kolasinac138
What is Choice?

[video="youtube;jy70aLDvAzU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy70aLDvAzU[/video]
Reply 12
Original post by dd1234
Thanks :smile: Would you say that the 2 A*s and A is a competitive application?
Also any tips, if you have on a successful application would be great!

2 A*s and an A in 3 academic subjects would certainly make you very competitive.
However, those applying for straight economics are likely to take further maths as a fourth A2. This might make A*A*AA a competitive application for LSE L101.

Apply early and at least by November.

Read widely (FT, Economic Times), listen to economics podcasts and watch LSE lectures.

Find something you have a genuine interest in and make links between the different books / journals / newspapers / magazines you have read about this topic. This has the added benefit of giving your PS some structure.
The beauty of economics is that it covers so many areas and pretty much anything can be looked at from an economic viewpoint.
Reply 13
2 A*s and an A in 3 academic subjects would certainly make you very competitive.
However, those applying for straight economics are likely to take further maths as a fourth A2. This might make A*A*AA a competitive application for LSE L101.

Apply early and at least by November.

Read widely (FT, Economic Times), listen to economics podcasts and watch LSE lectures.

Find something you have a genuine interest in and make links between the different books / journals / newspapers / magazines you have read about this topic. This has the added benefit of giving your PS some structure.
The beauty of economics is that it covers so many areas and pretty much anything can be looked at from an economic viewpoint.

Great,that's good, I am already taking further maths, but I think I am applying for government and economics :smile:

Thanks a lot for the tips!
Reply 14

Hi Rakin!

I got into the mathematics stream too for this year. Can I just ask what I can expect and how it was?

Hey I know this is old, but could you help me out with my application?
What kind of things should I include in my personal statement?

Quick Reply