The Student Room Group

AQA FP1 June 2014 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ah right, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!
Reply 61
Original post by nomnomnoodles
I got 256π for 8b :/

I did too :s-smilie:
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Which other equation?

The equation you were given was:

9x2+18x+16y264y=c9x^2 +18x + 16y^2 - 64y = c

I completed the square with both x and y terms, got all the number terms to the RHS and equated it with 1 as it is a translation of the original ellipse.

So where are you getting the 144 from? the only difference in our answers is that you've taken 73 from 144 and i haven't
Original post by rhiam
for 8b i got 256pi
anyone else??

yes me too, but I think we both forgot n=0 :/
Original post by Millerman
So where are you getting the 144 from? the only difference in our answers is that you've taken 73 from 144 and i haven't

If you look at my working in one of my previous posts, I got the equation of the translated ellipse in to the form given for the original ellipse. To do this, I divided by 9 and 16. 9 x 16 = 144.
Original post by thetodd
it was 4pi/15 +- pi/5 +(8pi/5)n

Do you know what the original question was? Was it cos(5x -pi/6) =root3/2
Original post by Firefox23
Do you know what the original question was? Was it cos(5x -pi/6) =root3/2

cos(5x4π3)=22cos(\frac{5x}{4}-\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}
Original post by SherlockHolmes
cos(5x4π3)=22cos(\frac{5x}{4}-\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}

**** I thought it was root3/2. That's a whole question down the drain then, a whole 9 marks gone because I can't read
How many marks do you think i'd get for the matrix question out of 5 for getting the correct enlargement, and finding the correct angle, but in the wrong quadrant?
Reply 69

I did {(X-a)^2 over 16} +{(y-b)^2 over 9} =1
Then expanded and simplified this and compared it to the equation given to you so RHS is 9x16 -a^2 -b^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hoppo7
I did {(X-a)^2 over 16} +{(y-b)^2 over 9} =1
Then expanded and simplified this and compared it to the equation given to you so RHS is 9x16 -a^2 -b^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, i completed the square
Reply 71
Oh, i completed the square

I tried to complete the square, managed to **** that up, then tried the approach of applying a and b to the original equation, and then ****ed that up too. I was so annoyed by the end of it, and desperate for a piss ^_^
Reply 72
Original post by Doomlar
I tried to complete the square, managed to **** that up, then tried the approach of applying a and b to the original equation, and then ****ed that up too. I was so annoyed by the end of it, and desperate for a piss ^_^

Will you be doing an M1 and D1 mark scheme too?
Reply 73
Original post by Naomi_la
Will you be doing an M1 and D1 mark scheme too?

Yeah, M1, D1, and C4 :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Doomlar
Yeah, M1, D1, and C4 :smile:

Thank you, they're so helpful! Just hope you're answers are right!!
Reply 75
Original post by Naomi_la
Thank you, they're so helpful! Just hope you're answers are right!!

So do I :wink:
Dont understand the last part to the last question, i got y=x + 5, y=x-5 because of the questions before, any help? ;D
Reply 77
Original post by HarunH1
Dont understand the last part to the last question, i got y=x + 5, y=x-5 because of the questions before, any help? ;D

You had your extreme values for k for the original ellipse, but you then had to translate the tangent lines by the column vector, if I remember correctly.
Original post by Doomlar
Below is my unofficial mark scheme for today's FP1 paper; mark schemes for other papers I have sat are linked at the bottom. I would appreciate it if anyone could contribute their answers, and if any of my answers are wrong give corrections. Marks are in emboldened, underlined brackets, like so [x]. Corrected answers that are still being debated are simply underlined, as so x.

Contest all my answers; I really don't know how well that paper went; the last two answers are blank 'cos I blanked out...

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item y = 6.0996 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{1}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item \alpha + \beta = -4, \alpha\beta = 0.5 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 15 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\item \text{Show} \alpha^4 + \beta^4 = \dfrac{449}{2} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\item 4x^2 - 2036x + 137 = 0 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{2}[br]\item \Sigma = 2906061 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[4]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{3}[br]\item z = 5.5+6.5i \hfill \textbf{\underline{[6]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{4}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item \text{Gradient} = h-7 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[3]}} \\[br]\item \text{as h} \rightarrow 0, \text{the gradient} \rightarrow m \text{ at } x=5, m=-7 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{5}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item x=0, x=-2, y=0 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item y = -1 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[1]}} \\[br]\item {Sketch graph} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\item x \leq -4, x \geq 2, -2 \textless x \textless 0 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{6}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item \begin{array}{ccc} [br]0 & -1 \\ [br]-1 & 0 \end{array} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[1]}} \\[br]\item \begin{array}{ccc}[br]1 & 0 \\[br]0 & 7 \end{array} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[1]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\item \begin{array}{ccc}[br]0 & -1 \\[br]-7 & 0 \end{Array} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item A^2 = 12I \hfill \textbf{\underline{[1]}} \\[br]\item \text{SF:} -2\sqrt{3}, y=tan{15}x \text{\underline{ OR }} \text{ SF: } 2\sqrt{3}, y=tan{105}x \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{7}[br]\item[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item x = \dfrac{7\pi}{15} + \dfrac{8\pi n}{5}, x = \dfrac{\pi}{15} + \dfrac{8\pi n}{5} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\item \text{Sum} = \dfrac{3848\pi}{15} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[4]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

[br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\setcounter{enumi}{8}[br]\item [br]\begin{enumerate}[br]\item \text{Sketch the ellipse, intersections at} x=\pm{4}, y=\pm{3} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[2]}} \\[br]\item \text{Show} -5 \textless k \textless 5 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\item a = -1, b = 2, c = \underline{71} \hfill \textbf{\underline{[5]}} \\[br]\item y=x+8, y=x-2 \hfill \textbf{\underline{[3]}} \\[br]\end{enumerate}[br]\end{enumerate}[br]

C1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2685494
C2: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2689168
C3:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2709037
S1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2704980

So, I got basically everything right, apart from the summation of my general solution. Got 128pi, because I forgot to double it and add on the n=0 bit, but I did cancel the plus or minus bit and got the upper bound of the summation right (n=12?), and did use the summation equation... How many marks...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79

Here is a Full step by step Solution for 8.c.

X=(x+1) Y=(y-2)

a=-1 b=2

c=71

I know it's long but it shows every step.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending