The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Hey all :smile:

I passed my CKA and everything like that (thank the Lord!) and feeling pretty good to have a new year and good news...however, how are people doing regarding QTS/Skills tests?? I'm finding it hard to book on to ones near me as well as trying to fit them in my very busy schedule (exam term:frown:)- I read somewhere that they're having theirs in March? Is this allowed/possible?? If so, I would rather do it when I can and somewhere that won't cost a fortune to travel to, which it would currently! Any advice?
Original post by ZVG
Hey all :smile:

I passed my CKA and everything like that (thank the Lord!) and feeling pretty good to have a new year and good news...however, how are people doing regarding QTS/Skills tests?? I'm finding it hard to book on to ones near me as well as trying to fit them in my very busy schedule (exam term:frown:)- I read somewhere that they're having theirs in March? Is this allowed/possible?? If so, I would rather do it when I can and somewhere that won't cost a fortune to travel to, which it would currently! Any advice?

I think everyone is having a problem with the skills tests bookings since the company changed over. There were no assessment centres with any spaces within 50 miles of me for the whole 3 months they show online. I ended up booking mine in London (a 2.5 hour journey from me) as it was the only place I could get 2 in the same day.

Can I ask how long your CKA took to come back? I'm just about to send mine. I've heard they take a long time, so I'm guessing you have asked for an extension to the 4 week limit to pass the skills tests? I don't understand your question about March though, perhaps I'm missing something?
Reply 862
Original post by Caro_Sci
I think everyone is having a problem with the skills tests bookings since the company changed over. There were no assessment centres with any spaces within 50 miles of me for the whole 3 months they show online. I ended up booking mine in London (a 2.5 hour journey from me) as it was the only place I could get 2 in the same day.

Can I ask how long your CKA took to come back? I'm just about to send mine. I've heard they take a long time, so I'm guessing you have asked for an extension to the 4 week limit to pass the skills tests? I don't understand your question about March though, perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks for the swift reply!

It took me 10 days to find out I passed my CKA, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm having that same situation! It's hard trying to book them around University exams and commitments, as well as finding one on the same day to save on travel, as well as find one that's not hours away! Nightmare! I have an extension in so far as I need to tell them when I've booked one so I can move the goalposts. But I'm still struggling now to find an appropriate date. It's also worth mentioning I'm part of the 2016 cohort, so I'm not hindering them in terms of paperwork just yet, according to my grad recruiter, as the QTS is what needs to be completed to assign schools.

I just saw that someone has booked theirs for March a few messages back, hoped that this was possible as that's how it's looking for me right now. It's stress central over here!
Original post by ZVG
Thanks for the swift reply!

It took me 10 days to find out I passed my CKA, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm having that same situation! It's hard trying to book them around University exams and commitments, as well as finding one on the same day to save on travel, as well as find one that's not hours away! Nightmare! I have an extension in so far as I need to tell them when I've booked one so I can move the goalposts. But I'm still struggling now to find an appropriate date. It's also worth mentioning I'm part of the 2016 cohort, so I'm not hindering them in terms of paperwork just yet, according to my grad recruiter, as the QTS is what needs to be completed to assign schools.

I just saw that someone has booked theirs for March a few messages back, hoped that this was possible as that's how it's looking for me right now. It's stress central over here!

Ah ok, I think the staff at Teach First are well aware of the huge difficulties in getting booked into the tests so I'm sure they won't worry about it being in March or April especially with you being in the 2016 cohort so don't worry! Mine are 2 weeks away now, so just need to work on this whole 'passing' them thing as I haven't had to use times tables or spell words without Microsoft's help since primary school...and as a career changer that was a long time ago!
Reply 864
Ah ok, I think the staff at Teach First are well aware of the huge difficulties in getting booked into the tests so I'm sure they won't worry about it being in March or April especially with you being in the 2016 cohort so don't worry! Mine are 2 weeks away now, so just need to work on this whole 'passing' them thing as I haven't had to use times tables or spell words without Microsoft's help since primary school...and as a career changer that was a long time ago!

I'm in the exact same situation, particularly with the maths! I've let myself slip on that front, resorting to calculators and my phone to work out division a lot of the time. D'oh! Oh the joys of living in a modern world with all that tempting, tempting technology around us doing the brainwork...I joke, but I'm genuinely concerned I may have to get my younger sibling to teach me old school style long division!
Reply 865
Hey all!

I originally couldn't get my skills tests booked for ages but kept refreshing every couple of days and nabbed some cancellations.

Might be worth a shot?
Reply 866

My CKA took 3 months to be marked! I only just got it earlier this month.. The wait was agony! :argh::argh:
Original post by gcyko
My CKA took 3 months to be marked! I only just got it earlier this month.. The wait was agony! :argh::argh:

Oh no! I just submitted mine, I hope it doesn't take too long as I really want to know where I'm going to be allocated.

Can I ask what subject you are? I heard some take longer than others, but I guess it could just come down to how busy the university staff are at the particular point you submit it!
Original post by jeogpip
Hey all!

I originally couldn't get my skills tests booked for ages but kept refreshing every couple of days and nabbed some cancellations.

Might be worth a shot?

Yeah I heard this too, but being so worried about passing I'm glad I know the dates of mine a couple of weeks in advance so I can prepare properly. Who knew you would have to know how to spell and add after school eh? hah!
Reply 869
Oh no! I just submitted mine, I hope it doesn't take too long as I really want to know where I'm going to be allocated.

Can I ask what subject you are? I heard some take longer than others, but I guess it could just come down to how busy the university staff are at the particular point you submit it!

Primary! :bban:
Reply 870
Does anyone know if we get a choice in what key stage or year group we will teach? I'd like KS1 (preferably year 2 or 3) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's all just luck - we get given whatever the school needs...can anyone confirm this? :confused:
Reply 871
Original post by gcyko
Does anyone know if we get a choice in what key stage or year group we will teach? I'd like KS1 (preferably year 2 or 3) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's all just luck - we get given whatever the school needs...can anyone confirm this? :confused:

we put down preferences but there is a fair bit of allocation based on need. it depends on the candidate, like I got my preference (primary) though I don't have the skills to teach other subjects: if you have the background to teach more than one subject they probably go by need
Hi, I'm working on my CKA now. Can anyone who has finished theirs tell me how many questions there are? Only asking because I have a very busy schedule with university work over the coming week and it would be easier to organise my time if I know. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lashton
Hi, I'm working on my CKA now. Can anyone who has finished theirs tell me how many questions there are? Only asking because I have a very busy schedule with university work over the coming week and it would be easier to organise my time if I know. Thanks :smile:

Mine had 4, two that were 350 words and two were 500 words but I don't know if this differs between topics. You can move between questions easily on the web link just press 'save and forward' or 'save and back'. I wrote my answers in word but you have to save it is a txt file and then open it in notepad before copying and pasting it.
Mine had 4, two that were 350 words and two were 500 words but I don't know if this differs between topics. You can move between questions easily on the web link just press 'save and forward' or 'save and back'. I wrote my answers in word but you have to save it is a txt file and then open it in notepad before copying and pasting it.

Thanks for your help, that's great :smile: I didn't realise you could move back and forth between the questions haha :smile:
Reply 875
Original post by A. Mc
we put down preferences but there is a fair bit of allocation based on need. it depends on the candidate, like I got my preference (primary) though I don't have the skills to teach other subjects: if you have the background to teach more than one subject they probably go by need

Ahh, thanks for the reply but maybe I wasn't being very clear...I meant once we get allocated either Early Years, Primary, or Secondary, then do we get to show a preference in which year/key stage we would like?

For example, I've been allocated Primary too, but there's a big difference between teaching year 2 (KS1) and teaching year 6 (KS2).
So I'm now doing my CKA (for secondary English) and it is the most difficult piece of work I've ever done! I can't imagine finishing this. I'm wondering if everyone who has completed theirs was as stressed over them as I am or am I just incompetent lol. Did anyone else find it this difficult?!
Original post by Lashton
So I'm now doing my CKA (for secondary English) and it is the most difficult piece of work I've ever done! I can't imagine finishing this. I'm wondering if everyone who has completed theirs was as stressed over them as I am or am I just incompetent lol. Did anyone else find it this difficult?!

Mine was in science so might be different but I found the questions ok, one about your AC lesson, one about an area of the curriculum you really like and how you would share that, one about up to 5 areas you're not so sure on and how to improve that and...can't even remember the other one.

What parts are you finding difficult? I found it hard to discuss teaching methods when I don't know that many yet myself (I googled some and wrote them in).

I was told the most important part is to show that you are willing to learn more. So write a list of texts you will read for the last question etc. Although I haven't had mine back yet so maybe I did it all wrong!
Mine was in science so might be different but I found the questions ok, one about your AC lesson, one about an area of the curriculum you really like and how you would share that, one about up to 5 areas you're not so sure on and how to improve that and...can't even remember the other one.

What parts are you finding difficult? I found it hard to discuss teaching methods when I don't know that many yet myself (I googled some and wrote them in).

I was told the most important part is to show that you are willing to learn more. So write a list of texts you will read for the last question etc. Although I haven't had mine back yet so maybe I did it all wrong!

Thanks for your help :smile: it sounds stupid but I'm worried about the first question - 'why should pupils learn your subject and why do you want to teach it?'. It's just such a vague question. But I've very nearly finished it now so I'm just hoping that what I've put will be acceptable. I've focused on the importance of English in preparing pupils for the future and how I will make my subject fun and interesting.

The next questions I think will be ok because I sort of know what they want me to write, if that makes sense.

I think I'm just panicking because I have to submit them before Wednesday and I'm still on question 1! Difficult with the amount of university work I currently have to do as well haha.

How long did it take you to complete yours?

Sorry for my rambling haha :smile:
Original post by Lashton
Thanks for your help :smile: it sounds stupid but I'm worried about the first question - 'why should pupils learn your subject and why do you want to teach it?'. It's just such a vague question. But I've very nearly finished it now so I'm just hoping that what I've put will be acceptable. I've focused on the importance of English in preparing pupils for the future and how I will make my subject fun and interesting.

The next questions I think will be ok because I sort of know what they want me to write, if that makes sense.

I think I'm just panicking because I have to submit them before Wednesday and I'm still on question 1! Difficult with the amount of university work I currently have to do as well haha.

How long did it take you to complete yours?

Sorry for my rambling haha :smile:

Ah yeah that was the question I forgot, how important is your subject. It is a tricky question but I filled it with 'science is the foundation of everything' type waffle which I think is what they want. So what you were saying sounds right to me!

I am finishing a PhD so I know what you mean about being busy! I spent almost all of Sunday last week on it and then read over it for an hour or so another day to make sure it made sense. But I'm a very slow writer so most people will probably do it faster than me!

Latest

Trending

Trending