The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KF99
Finals are mid February for me (actually the day before my birthday!), so a fun christmas for me too :frown:

Our finals are not until April!
Original post by KF99
Finals are mid February for me (actually the day before my birthday!), so a fun christmas for me too :frown:

At least you'll have that wonderful free from exams feeling on your birthday!
Reply 82
Original post by jco91
At least you'll have that wonderful free from exams feeling on your birthday!

I am looking forward to this SOOOOOO much :biggrin:
Original post by toffeecrisp_
Our finals are not until April!
Same! I can't imagine doing finals in Jan/Feb!! :shh:
Anybody know anything about this mysterious pharmacy exam? Is it still a pilot for us? The current F1s seemed to think theirs was the pilot, but I'll be very happy if ours is still being piloted as well!

January is WAY too early to be finishing final year! That's like final 1/4 of a year. Our exams are in March and even that seems really early to me. Although considering for the last two years I've finished in August, pretty much anything north of July seems early to me...
Reply 85
Original post by seaholme
Anybody know anything about this mysterious pharmacy exam? Is it still a pilot for us? The current F1s seemed to think theirs was the pilot, but I'll be very happy if ours is still being piloted as well!

January is WAY too early to be finishing final year! That's like final 1/4 of a year. Our exams are in March and even that seems really early to me. Although considering for the last two years I've finished in August, pretty much anything north of July seems early to me...

We had a bit of info on it today, they told us to check out the website:
http://www.prescribe.ac.uk/psa/?page_id=2
Can someone please explain to me exactly what the "attraction" is about having a job in London? I don't have any family there and I can only image how expensive it'll be compared to anywhere else.

Why do people (who are not from London) want to apply to London?
Original post by seaholme

Don't worry about it, it's very straight forward. Half a days revision will ace it just fine. I only heard of one person failing it, and he was badly hungover that day.
I thought I had my preferences decided, but now am unsure again :/

Why is this so hard!?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Why is this so hard!?

Me too :frown: I had my top deanery easily, but since we could register for FPAS I've been searching for jobs and compared to everywhere else, the combinations are rubbish. I really want to do a Renal job but there are literally none. Now I'm torn between jobs versus geography!
Original post by divinelord
Can someone please explain to me exactly what the "attraction" is about having a job in London? I don't have any family there and I can only image how expensive it'll be compared to anywhere else.

Why do people (who are not from London) want to apply to London?

I went there because my boyfriend (now husband) was working there - he's an economist so the vast majority of jobs in his field are in London. I was not a fan of London beforehand, didn't even consider the London schools when I was applying to medicine and was very glad that I didn't have to transfer for clinical years, but it's much more manageable as an adult with a decent salary than it would have been as a poverty-stricken 18 year old.

People want to go because they want to experience the big city life, work in some of the most famous hospitals in the country/world (though obviously these also exist outside London!) with an incredibly diverse population of both patients and staff. It was a very different experience from what I would have had if I'd stayed in East Anglia. I couldn't see myself staying forever, and have in fact just moved out after 5 years, but I'm glad I did it. And being there in 2012 was pretty incredible, though that's obviously something that won't be relevant to you guys!

Why is this so hard!?

It's fine. You're not the only one completely stumped.
Reply 92
Are there any UoA that people are particularly avoiding?

Obviously there are ones which geographically won't suit you, but are there any others to avoid for other reasons - bad hospitals with poor management, poor support for juniors ect ?

Any info on this sort of thing would be really helpful to help me decide between the huge number of UoAs I know very little about (apart from their location on a map!).

Thanks!
Original post by KF99
Are there any UoA that people are particularly avoiding?

Obviously there are ones which geographically won't suit you, but are there any others to avoid for other reasons - bad hospitals with poor management, poor support for juniors ect ?

Any info on this sort of thing would be really helpful to help me decide between the huge number of UoAs I know very little about (apart from their location on a map!).

Thanks!

Tbh that sort of thing isn't going to be generalisable to a whole UoA, rather to the individual trust.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by Mushi_master
Tbh that sort of thing isn't going to be generalisable to a whole UoA, rather to the individual trust.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah so these sort of things don't really matter until a later stage then! Oh well, thanks anyway!

I think I have my rankings now... Scary!
Original post by KF99

I think I have my rankings now... Scary!

Yeah me too..just about! I bet I'll change them at some point over the next fortnight though!
Reply 96
Original post by toffeecrisp_
Yeah me too..just about! I bet I'll change them at some point over the next fortnight though!

Let's just hope that we don't change our minds to much after the submission deadline!
I think I'm all decided on my first choice, not sure whether to switch round my second and third choices. My 3rd choice isn't that competitive so I doubt I'll drop below it. Kind of comforting to know I should be in one of my top 3, unless something awful happens in the SJT :p:
I think I'm all decided on my first choice, not sure whether to switch round my second and third choices. My 3rd choice isn't that competitive so I doubt I'll drop below it. Kind of comforting to know I should be in one of my top 3, unless something awful happens in the SJT :p:

:smile: what are your top three? my main struggle with ranking the deaneries is that the place I want to go (West Mids Central) has previously been less competitive than most of my lower choices so I feel that if I don't get in there I'd drop right down the list!

Buuut West Mids Central has changed this year and just consists of Birmingham hospitals so I think it may become more competitive as getting in guarantees a job in the city and not out in the sticks! AHHHH
Silly question ALERT: What constitutes as evidence for publications with PubMEd IDs - are UKFPO literally looking for a screen dump of the webpage, or am I really missing the point? :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending