The Student Room Group

1 Mark Off An A :-(

Hey, i was one mark off an a in psychology and i am getting the lowest mark paper remarked. Anyyone reckon it could go up a grade? It wont go down cos i'd have to lose about 60 points.
Anyone had any experience with remarking/going up a grade?????
Thank you
xxxxxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Noobster5
Hey, i was one mark off an a in psychology and i am getting the lowest mark paper remarked. Anyyone reckon it could go up a grade? It wont go down cos i'd have to lose about 60 points.
Anyone had any experience with remarking/going up a grade?????
Thank you
xxxxxx

The chances of you going down a grade are very very low (but not impossible) - I would definetely get a remark! :smile:
Reply 2
Cool i have sent it off for remarking, well i'd have to get like20 out of 105 to go down a grade so i dont think that'd happen, just hope it goes up so i can get a scholarship for uni :-/ xx
Reply 3
Same situation here, A2 psychology with Edexcel, 478/600

2ums off an A :frown: Im getting it remark...and did u know...

Waiving of EAR fees
Centres will not be invoiced for EARs in the following circumstances.
-For candidates who have been awarded an overall subject grade in the subject concerned,
fees will not be incurred where the EAR leads to a change in the overall subject grade for
that candidate.
-For candidates who have not yet been awarded an overall subject grade in the subject
concerned, fees will not be incurred where the EAR leads to a change in the notional unit
grade for that candidate.

so u don;t pay if ur grade changes? that's for edexcel btw..dunno about other boards....
:suith:
I hate to put on a downer on you, but it seems like hardly any remarks go up. Best of luck though. You're very unlikely to go down a grade if it gets marked down and it's more likely to go up, so it's definitely worth a try. I'm having 2 history papers remarked because I apparently failed them both :confused: so I obviously have nothing to lose there- they can't go down in terms of grades and I'd have to lose 35 marks to bring my overall grade down from a C to a D, whereas I only need 26 to bring it up to a B.
I am in the same position as the op, I got 479 in psychology with module grades ABA,ACA I expected to get an A, also the C grade in the synoptic paper was lower than I expected so I'm getting a remark as well!
Reply 6
hmmm i was suprised to hear you got a C kellywood_5, although i got a remark last year, i jumped up like 20 marls, icos i had pretty high B grades for the other was a grade D ao i think that there was obviulsly a mistake loll but my school is very nice and paid it all for me and i has other retakes and remarks and they were free loll. its crap that people have to pay man they cost a lot
Reply 7
i was 1 mark of an A in further maths...dunno whether its worth remarking as im still going to my firm uni and i bet no one will ever even care about it once i finish uni! what do u people think?
1 mark off an A in Chemistry, thought it was hilarious as I just knew it would happen. Luckily was in a position where it didn't matter in the end.
Reply 9
Brommika
i was 1 mark of an A in further maths...dunno whether its worth remarking as im still going to my firm uni and i bet no one will ever even care about it once i finish uni! what do u people think?

if you dont need it, don't bother. 10/15 quid is better spent on sausages.
oh an noobster, that is my favouritest placebo song!! <3
Reply 11
im a mark of a b in chemistry aqa as level, worth a remark?
well, I know a lot of people are saying it's not worth it and hardly any go up...but personally I did have one module which I took in Jan and got remarked, went up 12 UMS marks. so it is possible, if you think it's worthwhile go for it...
My brother's GCSE biology went up a grade a few years ago when he got it remarked. Dunno if that's relevant here but hey
Reply 14
If you are between 1 and 9 marks off I would say it is worth a remark simply because it could happen. And there is no real danger of doing worse.

10+, I wouldn't do it. The true danger zone is 20+ off. With 1-5, even 5+, you might go up a grade or your UMS might go down, but not down enough to lose your original grade.

20+ you could quite pluasibly go down a notch.
Reply 15
the thing is though mine is a solid c so its very unlikey i will go down
Brommika

KAISER_MOLE
1 mark off an A in Chemistry, thought it was hilarious as I just knew it would happen. Luckily was in a position where it didn't matter in the end.

Come on, you gotta try for a remark. Your certificates will show A's and you never know it may come in handy with many employers asking for UCAS points.
As the cost in real terms isn't really that high, I would go for a remakr in your places anyway...
My maths teacher once said that if you score very close to a grade boundary (e.g. 'one mark off an A') it is unlikely you will improve with a remark because your paper will have been double-checked by a senior examiner, because they realise you may have a uni place depending on it.

This makes sense to me, but gives the exam boards a lot of credit. What can you loose with a remark? Go for it, and good luck :smile:
Reply 18
na i disagree with your unlikely to improve. If you have got like a solid c and 1 off a b, a remark essenitally 80% guarantess you a b. I mean ok if you stay at the same grade who cares beacuse you can resit.
I got 478 in chem and 236 in maths which im getting remarked :| Very annoying.

Latest