The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
generalebriety
"What kind of standard I am"?

I show... whatever you just said... through my posts. You disagree with them blindly, fine. But don't expect me to be nice to you. :rolleyes:

Look. Don't make me argue your argument into oblivion, I still got an offer from Oxford, two flukey low modules or not, and that's mainly cos I can argue my case. Now, you are sitting here being insensitive to people who simply are asking for information and advice. I haven't read a post outlining the situation you outline, which doesn't really make much sense in my mind anyway.

Also, please less of the effing swearing effing hell. It's effing unnecessary and makes you sound stupid, which I would guess you are not. Last thing - don't try the "my post isn't stupid because this post is more stupid" argument - it's a bit flawed. We're not trying to stop you posting, we're asking you.

Do you want me to post my situation again and again? Do you remember it? If you do, then you'll see why I'm intolerant of your opinion. Normally I'd just raise an eyebrow and ignore it, like I do to a hell of a lot of stupid posts (including ones I posted sometime!!!)
cockadoodledoo
it may never happen but then again it could be the difference between grades and ultimately a university place.

I can see how it might be worth it. But look at the other threads around here. I currently have people slagging me off for a thread where the OP was seven marks off an A. That is not going to get marked up to an A. It's not a substitute for bad revision.

As I said.
fatboy06
Look. Don't make me argue your argument into oblivion, I still got an offer from Oxford, two flukey low modules or not, and that's mainly cos I can argue my case. Now, you are sitting here being insensitive to people who simply are asking for information and advice. I haven't read a post outlining the situation you outline, which doesn't really make much sense in my mind anyway.

Also, please less of the effing swearing effing hell. It's effing unnecessary and makes you sound stupid, which I would guess you are not. Last thing - don't try the "my post isn't stupid because this post is more stupid" argument - it's a bit flawed. We're not trying to stop you posting, we're asking you.

Do you want me to post my situation again and again? Do you remember it? If you do, then you'll see why I'm intolerant of your opinion. Normally I'd just raise an eyebrow and ignore it, like I do to a hell of a lot of stupid posts (including ones I posted sometime!!!)

couldn't have put it better myself!
Reply 43
Surely it's easy to see that 7 UMS marks is very easy to make up if a double spread is missed etc? I know of people who have had papers go up by 20 UMS points and the like. Not confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: no-one is claiming it's a replacement for bad revision!!! For the sake of whatever transient being you wish to name, please understand that everyone is looking to either 1) try and right something they felt they don't deserve or 2) try and get into university on the off chance a mistake has been made...what's there to disagree with that?
fatboy06
Look. Don't make me argue your argument into oblivion, I still got an offer from Oxford, two flukey low modules or not, and that's mainly cos I can argue my case.

Well, that's me told. :eek:

fatboy06
Now, you are sitting here being insensitive to people who simply are asking for information and advice. I haven't read a post outlining the situation you outline, which doesn't really make much sense in my mind anyway.

I am giving them information and advice. Information: remarks mostly don't go up. Advice: don't spend £40 on a remark unless you're pretty sure you did better than your grade indicates.

fatboy06
Also, please less of the effing swearing effing hell. It's effing unnecessary and makes you sound stupid, which I would guess you are not.

I don't swear to look cool. I do it when I've had a fairly crappy few days and all people can do over the comfort and security of an internet forum is take the piss out of my advice with little or no explanation other than "well that's not comforting!". It annoys me.

fatboy06
Last thing - don't try the "my post isn't stupid because this post is more stupid" argument - it's a bit flawed. We're not trying to stop you posting, we're asking you.

I wasn't claiming my post wasn't stupid. I just have no desire to speak to people who are going to make personal attacks at me.

fatboy06

Yeah, go on. Because I don't remember who the hell you are, which is probably due to the results day rush.
fatboy06
Surely it's easy to see that 7 UMS marks is very easy to make up if a double spread is missed etc? I know of people who have had papers go up by 20 UMS points and the like. Not confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: no-one is claiming it's a replacement for bad revision!!! For the sake of whatever transient being you wish to name, please understand that everyone is looking to either 1) try and right something they felt they don't deserve or 2) try and get into university on the off chance a mistake has been made...what's there to disagree with that?

Nothing. Fact is a lot of people do honestly believe remarks are for changing your mark. If I got one mark off an A in any of my subjects there's no way I'd believe a mistake had been made, unless it was one of my very good subjects. I'd believe I messed up a question or something, unless my module scores were anomalous. It's either a sign of extreme arrogance that they're doing this - if they honestly do believe they couldn't possibly have got a B - or they're just not thinking it through, which is my point.
Reply 46
generalebriety
Well, that's me told. :eek:

I am giving them information and advice. Information: remarks mostly don't go up. Advice: don't spend £40 on a remark unless you're pretty sure you did better than your grade indicates.

I don't swear to look cool. I do it when I've had a fairly crappy few days and all people can do over the comfort and security of an internet forum is take the piss out of my advice with little or no explanation other than "well that's not comforting!". It annoys me.

I wasn't claiming my post wasn't stupid. I just have no desire to speak to people who are going to make personal attacks at me.

Yeah, go on. Because I don't remember who the hell you are, which is probably due to the results day rush.

Also see above post for yet more explanation. No personal attacks meant by the way. And the "Oxford" thing was a bit of a twattish thing of me to say, sorry not exactly hugely secure with myself atm.

Me - Got B for French A2. Needed an A for my firm. Got AAAACC in modules. Fair enough, I guess, except for the fact that I'd done 12 past papers for one of the two C modules, and got As in 10 and Bs for 2, which would have been more than enough - I was sitting on a fairly high A from AS and coursework. I felt I'd done fine. Sameish story, less extreme, for the other C module. Hence, I'm going for the remark (which my school is paying for hehe, but that's irrelevant) because I 1) feel the system has dealt me an injustice, ooo look at me being all self-righteous I know 2) I want to go to my firm. Those are the only two reasons I've seen for getting papers remarked. Plus, it's worth it for a lot of people on the offchance even if the chances are low. Fair enough warning them (with stats please) that most remarks don't go to plan, but your blanket treatment of the situation is annoying.
Reply 47
generalebriety
Nothing. Fact is a lot of people do honestly believe remarks are for changing your mark. If I got one mark off an A in any of my subjects there's no way I'd believe a mistake had been made, unless it was one of my very good subjects. I'd believe I messed up a question or something, unless my module scores were anomalous. It's either a sign of extreme arrogance that they're doing this - if they honestly do believe they couldn't possibly have got a B - or they're just not thinking it through, which is my point.

1) I have a reason to be arrogant - I'm actually bloody good at French - I did those 12 papers in about 45 minutes each instead of 2hrs15 minutes, most whilst watching TV. I'm not a naturally arrogant person, if you are so trusting you'll have to trust me on that. 2) What the hell do I have to lose?? I have thought this through quite carefully - I'll go for my reserve unless I get lucky.

You say "couldn't possibly have got a B". Fair point. I can't guarantee that I didn't totally misunderstand a text or whatever, but I'm getting it remarked anyway. Why? It isn't "couldn't possibly" either way - means it isn't definate either way. So I'm getting it checked. What's there to argue about?? Your logic is flawed, as I said before.
fatboy06
Also see above post for yet more explanation. No personal attacks meant by the way. And the "Oxford" thing was a bit of a twattish thing of me to say, sorry not exactly hugely secure with myself atm.

Blah, no problem, it's been a stressful time for us all.

fatboy06
Me - Got B for French A2. Needed an A for my firm. Got AAAACC in modules. Fair enough, I guess, except for the fact that I'd done 12 past papers for one of the two C modules, and got As in 10 and Bs for 2, which would have been more than enough - I was sitting on a fairly high A from AS and coursework. I felt I'd done fine. Sameish story, less extreme, for the other C module. Hence, I'm going for the remark (which my school is paying for hehe, but that's irrelevant) because I 1) feel the system has dealt me an injustice, ooo look at me being all self-righteous I know 2) I want to go to my firm. Those are the only two reasons I've seen for getting papers remarked.

Fine - as I said, you thought you deserved it, which you probably did, so you're requesting a remark. That's fair.

fatboy06
Plus, it's worth it for a lot of people on the offchance even if the chances are low. Fair enough warning them (with stats please) that most remarks don't go to plan, but your blanket treatment of the situation is annoying.

No offence was intended to the OP, but it was meant to be hypothesis. For all I know the OP could be a very good high A candidate in which case a high B would be an entire grade down on their expectations, in which case that's fine. But I'm guessing, like most people, they were just striving for an A and, unfortunately, narrowly missed, in which case the chances of it being pushed up to an A are small. Especially in the cases where some people are 7 UMS marks off.
fatboy06
1) I have a reason to be arrogant - I'm actually bloody good at French - I did those 12 papers in about 45 minutes each instead of 2hrs15 minutes, most whilst watching TV. I'm not a naturally arrogant person, if you are so trusting you'll have to trust me on that. 2) What the hell do I have to lose?? I have thought this through quite carefully - I'll go for my reserve unless I get lucky.

You say "couldn't possibly have got a B". Fair point. I can't guarantee that I didn't totally misunderstand a text or whatever, but I'm getting it remarked anyway. Why? It isn't "couldn't possibly" either way - means it isn't definate either way. So I'm getting it checked. What's there to argue about?? Your logic is flawed, as I said before.

My logic isn't flawed just because you've decided to apply it to your French mark which I never questioned.
Reply 50
generalebriety
My logic isn't flawed just because you've decided to apply it to your French mark which I never questioned.

Which situation would it apply to?
Reply 51
My maths teacher once said that if you score very close to a grade boundary (e.g. 'one mark off an A') it is unlikely you will improve with a remark because your paper will have been double-checked by a senior examiner, because they realise you may have a uni place depending on it.

This makes sense to me, but gives the exam boards a lot of credit. What can you loose with a remark? Go for it, and good luck

I do not believe this statement is true. Maybe you lost the A, not because of the last module!
Reply 52
surely they don't know your other module marks and thus don't know how close you are to the boundaries?
fatboy06
Which situation would it apply to?

A hypothetical one. My posts were all intended to be hypothetical.
Reply 54
generalebriety
A hypothetical one. My posts were all intended to be hypothetical.

Ok, please explain this hypothetical situation.
I have done. Can't be bothered any more, really. Re-read my posts or forget it.
Reply 56
generalebriety
I have done. Can't be bothered any more, really. Re-read my posts or forget it.

Air hand shake on forget it. Agree to (not sure if we do even) disagree.
Fine by me. :biggrin:
Reply 58
generalebriety
The examiner may well have made a mistake - they may have marked someone up on something. That's equally likely. As for idiotic comments, browse a couple of these forums and see the number of threads saying "I got 7 marks off a B because I had a broken toe while I was doing my exams, should I get a remark?", and you'll see why I'm fed up of everyone thinking they deserve better than they got, because, mostly, they don't.

I'm sorry for getting involved, but how does this make any sense whatsoever? If a paper was done badly due to whatever illness in the exam, the same badly done paper would be the one remarked.
If you were 1 mark off an A in one of your A2 subjects I think you would have a very different attitude.
Your arguments are flawed, I agree - and I think you need to come down to earth and grow up a bit. Good luck with your A2s and the Cambridge application by the way... if you get rejected you will hit the ground pretty bloody fast. Hopefully you'll improve your attitude without that happening though.
Ronove
I'm sorry for getting involved, but how does this make any sense whatsoever? If a paper was done badly due to whatever illness in the exam, the same badly done paper would be the one remarked.

Remarks aren't for illness. That's what special consideration before the exam is for.

Ronove
If you were 1 mark off an A in one of your A2 subjects I think you would have a very different attitude.
Your arguments are flawed, I agree - and I think you need to come down to earth and grow up a bit. Good luck with your A2s and the Cambridge application by the way... if you get rejected you will hit the ground pretty bloody fast. Hopefully you'll improve your attitude without that happening though.

No, I'm prepared for the fact that even if I do get an offer (which is normally AAA11 from the college I'm applying to) that I might not meet it.

Latest