The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Happy to answer any Cardiff Uni questions!

Hey, I've just finished my first year at Cardiff University, studying English Literature, Spanish and Italian. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask about studying, living and surviving at Cardiff, feel free to ask below and I'll answer as best I can :smile:

Ffion x

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Do you have any advice about which accommodation to choose? I'm looking at them all but I can't see much difference between them! Do you have any advice? :smile: x
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
hey..same problem with me.comming to cardiff in sep for MBA at cardiff business school.please suggest a good university residence which is chose to business school and the city center with ensuit accomodation and self catered dining.thank you:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by _boygenius
Hi! Do you have any advice about which accommodation to choose? I'm looking at them all but I can't see much difference between them! Do you have any advice? :smile: x

Hey! I stayed at Talybont South which has been amazing. It's quite loud here throughout the year, especially during the nights but everyone here is really lovely and there's a big community atmosphere here. The house I'm currently in (House 5) is quite old, but I've heard that they're refurbishing the older houses in Taly South to bring them up to the standard that some of the others are currently in. The rooms aren't huge, but they're big enough for even those who have too much stuff (i.e me!!). The bathrooms are great, they're large and tiled which is a big difference to those in Talybont North. Taly South is self catered.

Taly North rooms vary in size. They're organised alphabetically and from what I've gathered, the first letters of the alphabet are the houses which are older. I have friends in House B and although their flat isn't falling apart, it's still small and could do with modernising. Whereas I know people who live in House V and their flat is much larger, kitchen is more modern and the rooms are slightly more spacious. What a lot of people say about Taly North bathrooms is that they're kind of like 'airplane' toilets, almost like a pod with your loo, shower and sink in one! Taly North is self catered.

Unfortunately I haven't visited a Talybont Court flat, though from what I can see through the kitchen windows they look very large and spacious! The kitchens include a breakfast bar and they have comfier seats compared to the wooden ones that I'm currently using! I've heard that the bedrooms are much bigger and the the ensuite is less of a pod and more of an actual bathroom, with a separate shower stall compared to the wet-rooms that North and South have. Taly Court is self catered.

Column Hall is another self catered accommodation with ensuite facilities. From what I've heard their flats have larger number of people living in them (usually 6 people per flat in Taly, whereas it's 8 per flat at Column Hall). Column Hall is in a great position on the campus, around a 10 minute walk into the town centre and it's right opposite the business school.

The majority of people that I've met during my first year have lived at Talybont, or University Hall, though this residence is further out of the campus and students catch a bus into Cathays every day for lectures. Some catered halls include Gordon Hall, Senghennydd Hall and Aberdare Hall.

Here's a link to the Cardiff Residences page so you can have a better look at the residences on offer. All in all, I'd go with any of the Talybont houses. It was a 15 minute walk to lectures (10 if I woke up late and had to rush) and a 20 minute walk into the city centre. There's a Tesco Express incredibly close by and a huge Tesco Extra about a 5 minute walk away (depending where you are in Talybont!!)

Hope this has helped in some way :smile: x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anil17
hey..same problem with me.comming to cardiff in sep for MBA at cardiff business school.please suggest a good university residence which is chose to business school and the city center with ensuit accomodation and self catered dining.thank you:smile:

If you're going to be at the Business School then I'd suggest Column Hall as it's situated directly opposite the school. The flats are (I think) for 8 people and it's self catered with an ensuite bathroom in every bedroom. It's about a 10 minute walk into the city centre I would say, with a Tesco or a Lidl around 20 minutes away.

Hope this helps! :smile: x
Reply 5
Original post by abcdeffion
If you're going to be at the Business School then I'd suggest Column Hall as it's situated directly opposite the school. The flats are (I think) for 8 people and it's self catered with an ensuite bathroom in every bedroom. It's about a 10 minute walk into the city centre I would say, with a Tesco or a Lidl around 20 minutes away.

Hope this helps! :smile: x

I've heard column hall has smaller rooms and kitchens which is also pretty old as compared to other residence in talybont.Is it true??
Reply 6
Original post by Anil17
I've heard column hall has smaller rooms and kitchens which is also pretty old as compared to other residence in talybont.Is it true??

If I'm honest with you, I'm not sure about the state of the rooms there as I've never visited them. Talybont is a great choice for any subject really, my classes are taught next to the business school and I live in Talybont South. It's about a 15 minute walk from there to the business school :smile:
Reply 7
I have a friend comming along with me for the same course.Is there any probability for us to get same flat if applied at the same time??what is the procedure for allotment of roommates??
Reply 8
Original post by Anil17
I have a friend comming along with me for the same course.Is there any probability for us to get same flat if applied at the same time??what is the procedure for allotment of roommates??

As far as I know the selection is completely random. I'm sure you could contact the residences office in Cardiff and ask if it would be possible, but I doubt that you'd be placed in the same flat if you applied at the same time.
Hey! I stayed at Talybont South which has been amazing. It's quite loud here throughout the year, especially during the nights but everyone here is really lovely and there's a big community atmosphere here. The house I'm currently in (House 5) is quite old, but I've heard that they're refurbishing the older houses in Taly South to bring them up to the standard that some of the others are currently in. The rooms aren't huge, but they're big enough for even those who have too much stuff (i.e me!!). The bathrooms are great, they're large and tiled which is a big difference to those in Talybont North. Taly South is self catered.

Taly North rooms vary in size. They're organised alphabetically and from what I've gathered, the first letters of the alphabet are the houses which are older. I have friends in House B and although their flat isn't falling apart, it's still small and could do with modernising. Whereas I know people who live in House V and their flat is much larger, kitchen is more modern and the rooms are slightly more spacious. What a lot of people say about Taly North bathrooms is that they're kind of like 'airplane' toilets, almost like a pod with your loo, shower and sink in one! Taly North is self catered.

Unfortunately I haven't visited a Talybont Court flat, though from what I can see through the kitchen windows they look very large and spacious! The kitchens include a breakfast bar and they have comfier seats compared to the wooden ones that I'm currently using! I've heard that the bedrooms are much bigger and the the ensuite is less of a pod and more of an actual bathroom, with a separate shower stall compared to the wet-rooms that North and South have. Taly Court is self catered.

Column Hall is another self catered accommodation with ensuite facilities. From what I've heard their flats have larger number of people living in them (usually 6 people per flat in Taly, whereas it's 8 per flat at Column Hall). Column Hall is in a great position on the campus, around a 10 minute walk into the town centre and it's right opposite the business school.

The majority of people that I've met during my first year have lived at Talybont, or University Hall, though this residence is further out of the campus and students catch a bus into Cathays every day for lectures. Some catered halls include Gordon Hall, Senghennydd Hall and Aberdare Hall.

Here's a link to the Cardiff Residences page so you can have a better look at the residences on offer. All in all, I'd go with any of the Talybont houses. It was a 15 minute walk to lectures (10 if I woke up late and had to rush) and a 20 minute walk into the city centre. There's a Tesco Express incredibly close by and a huge Tesco Extra about a 5 minute walk away (depending where you are in Talybont!!)

What a lovely reply, thank you! X
Original post by Anil17

Did he go to your school? In my house in Taly South alone there were 4 couples of friends that went to the same school or college. My school friend herself was in the neighbouring house. This makes me believe the Uni take this into account.
Reply 11
Yes..thank you for ur feedback 😊
Hey i was just wondering if you could possibly tell me anything about the English course at Cardiff as i have been looking at the website and cant find much info on the details; contact hours, possible module choices etc... I'd also love to know how you found the course seeing as you studied it there! THanks for any help you can give me :smile:
Hi, I'm starting English Lit (after taking a gap year) and was wondering about reading lists? I've read bits and pieces of the 2013-14 set reading, and I've emailed the department asking if there is a different one for those starting in 14-15? Nothing back recently.

I know it's unlikely you'd know much about it since it won't be your year, but any help would be much appreciated!
What day would you recommend coming down? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Toypip100
Hey i was just wondering if you could possibly tell me anything about the English course at Cardiff as i have been looking at the website and cant find much info on the details; contact hours, possible module choices etc... I'd also love to know how you found the course seeing as you studied it there! THanks for any help you can give me :smile:

Hello :smile:
I studied English as a joint honours, so I had less module choices to make. However, your compulsory modules will be English 1 which consists of “Introduction to the Novel and Poetry” in first semester and “Reading and Identity” in second semester. There's a module called English 2 which I think included more modern texts and possibly creative writing? There was also a Medieval Literature module if I remember correctly. Sorry I'm not much use on those as I didn't have to choose modules!
I had 2 lectures and one seminar per week, but this would probably change depending whether you were single honours or joint. For first semester you'll have 1 poetry lecture and one novel lecture per week. Then in second semester it'll change to 2 lectures per week per set text. You'll have one 1600 word essay and one exam in January and then one 2500 word essay in the final semester.

Personally, while I enjoyed the course, I had a change of heart at the end of this year and so I've changed course for my second year. It's nothing to do with the course!! I have friends who are super excited to continue with their studies in English Lit next year, but it just wasn't for me anymore :smile:

I hope you really enjoy your studies in Cardiff this year!!! And congrats :smile:

hey! how many people did you have in a flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by shadowofadoubt
Hi, I'm starting English Lit (after taking a gap year) and was wondering about reading lists? I've read bits and pieces of the 2013-14 set reading, and I've emailed the department asking if there is a different one for those starting in 14-15? Nothing back recently.

I know it's unlikely you'd know much about it since it won't be your year, but any help would be much appreciated!

Hey :smile:
I won't be able to tell you for sure if they've changed the course material for 14/15. However, I doubt that they'd have changed the bulk of the material, maybe some texts will be changed, but I'm not sure.
I'm currently selling some of my year one texts as I won't be needing them this year. If you're on facebook, have a search for "School of English, Communication and Philosopy, Cardiff University 2013/14" and I have a post there advertising the texts.

Sorry that this won't have been much help, but that's about all I can give you at the moment!

Hope you enjoy Cardiff :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ChloeB96
What day would you recommend coming down? :smile:

Are your moving days from Wednesday to Sunday? I moved in on the Wednesday and it was quite busy. Although they said that the weekend would be the busiest time for moving in, I found that the weekend was quieter as more people wanted to move in as soon as they could! But really, any day is the best day! If you want to be there for the Freshers Events then you'll want to move in on the Wednesday. I'd suggest finding your flatmates on facebook and discussing with them when they're going to move in, if they're not moving in until the weekend then you may not want to be in a flat alone for a few days! All of the university's residences have a facebook page and people post where they'll be living, so you'll be able to find your flatmates easily.
It's completely up to you.

Hope you enjoy Cardiff! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by gulliablegirl
hey! how many people did you have in a flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it depends where you're living, but I had six people in my flat. Some talybont south residences have 4 people, some have 8. But generally, it tends to be 6 per flat :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending