The Student Room Group

Anyone goes to Westminster Kingsway College?

I got a place in Westminster Kingsway College (King Cross Centre) I just want to know what is it like to be a student at Westminster Kingsway College. Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does Anybody goes to Westminster Kingsway College (King Cross Centre)? I would also like to know how are the teaching, the environment and students like? Especially in Maths, Biology and Chemistry?
Reply 2
Same i wanna go there to do chemistry, maths and biology intensive year but am scared because apparently the people there are not nice.
Hi i study at Westminster Kingsway college, im currently a second year Level 3 Animation and Games Design student (sorry that i dont do chemistry, Maths and biology) some teachers are pretty friendly and socialable while others can be... kinda harsh and rude sometimes. teachers will be fine with you if you dont give too much attitude.

The students are mostly fine, i'm a bit of a loner in my animation and games design class however when i was in my english resit classes lots of the students are very social and are willing to be friends with you and help you out.

The enviroment is okay, like there's the main kings cross area and your a few minutes away from Picadilly Circus by train. there's also at least 2 mcdonalds, a burger king, subways, tesco, co-op, costa coffee and lots more that's in a 5 minute walking distance if you dont want the cafetria food. there are a few areas to hang out in during breaks and lunch, like the libary and the small little park across from the college. I personally like to be more out of the main city of London as its busy here and noisy too.

The only big problem i personally have is that i need to travel for an hour and a half to get to college and most of the students there are pretty local to the area.

i hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hay12
Same i wanna go there to do chemistry, maths and biology intensive year but am scared because apparently the people there are not nice.

Hi. Did you ever end up going there?
Reply 5
Original post by Munrhe
Hi. Did you ever end up going there?

yeah the people there where really nice
Reply 6
Original post by Hay12
yeah the people there where really nice

Thank you. How did you find doing 3 A-level intensives in 1 year?
Reply 7
Original post by Munrhe
Thank you. How did you find doing 3 A-level intensives in 1 year?

It was very hard, I would recommend doing an access course if your grades for both yrs are bad or if its the first time. if you're AS grades are okish and you are doing one of those subjects where you have to learn AS content for A2 modules then go for it.

It is subjective though, there were people on my course who were retaking the same subjects for the 3rd/ 4th time and still failing, but there were also people who hadn't done it before and we're getting 90% in all the tests but they were mainly mature students.
I would like to do politics business and psychology but I’ve heard the teachers aren’t the best. Would you recommend it. I have to travel quite a bit to get to central London so I’m not entirely sure if it’s worth it
Original post by Anonymous
I would like to do politics business and psychology but I’ve heard the teachers aren’t the best. Would you recommend it. I have to travel quite a bit to get to central London so I’m not entirely sure if it’s worth it

Same, it would take me probably an hour and half from where I live to go there but I still applied. I don't get the enrolment day, are they gonna already have your application from online and then decide whether you get a place or not? But since I'm planning on retaking A levels I would be more than pleased if I get a place.
Original post by Hay12
It was very hard, I would recommend doing an access course if your grades for both yrs are bad or if its the first time. if you're AS grades are okish and you are doing one of those subjects where you have to learn AS content for A2 modules then go for it.

It is subjective though, there were people on my course who were retaking the same subjects for the 3rd/ 4th time and still failing, but there were also people who hadn't done it before and we're getting 90% in all the tests but they were mainly mature students.

Hi, I got really bad results first time around (UUD in maths, chem and bio) were there any student there retaking who got this bad results first time round, or do they even accept students with really poor grades? I don't want to access course, I'll probably end up taking exam as a private candidate if I don't get a place at a college. Also do the teacher provide you with reference and predicted grades for UCAS application if you are in the intensive course, or are you expected to ask your previous sixth form. I'm really confused so if you answer these question it would be really helpful.
Also, in the website they said "applicants aged 18 will be considered if they already have proven achievement at advanced level and wish to study a subject they have not previously achieved" what does it mean, will they allow you to do 3 subjects that you have failed and are still 18 years old.
Reply 12
Original post by Bluerainy
Hi, I got really bad results first time around (UUD in maths, chem and bio) were there any student there retaking who got this bad results first time round, or do they even accept students with really poor grades? I don't want to access course, I'll probably end up taking exam as a private candidate if I don't get a place at a college. Also do the teacher provide you with reference and predicted grades for UCAS application if you are in the intensive course, or are you expected to ask your previous sixth form. I'm really confused so if you answer these question it would be really helpful.

they provide you with predicted grades. most people i believe improved from their previous but you need to work. if you are not self-motivated, then this is not the right place. but if you are, anything is possible
Reply 13
Original post by Munrhe
they provide you with predicted grades. most people i believe improved from their previous but you need to work. if you are not self-motivated, then this is not the right place. but if you are, anything is possible

sorry, and they also give references for you
Reply 14
Also, in the website they said "applicants aged 18 will be considered if they already have proven achievement at advanced level and wish to study a subject they have not previously achieved" what does it mean, will they allow you to do 3 subjects that you have failed and are still 18 years old.

they will most likely discourage you to do 3 in a year as this is really intense. i wanted to do 3 and ended up only doing 2 as i found that already enough work (got an A* in maths and an A in chemistry so worth it, had no prior experience, no GCSE or anything in Chemistry). A friend of mine tried to do 3 and he is very smart but he struggled with the work load
Reply 15
Same, it would take me probably an hour and half from where I live to go there but I still applied. I don't get the enrolment day, are they gonna already have your application from online and then decide whether you get a place or not? But since I'm planning on retaking A levels I would be more than pleased if I get a place.

some of the teachers are excellent. the maths, biology and Peter for chemistry intensive are all amazing teachers. i travelled there also for an hour and another friend travelled from brighton and she got an A*. you should try it. but as i said from what i have seen, those that studied all the way through and were self-motivated have done really well.
Original post by Munrhe
some of the teachers are excellent. the maths, biology and Peter for chemistry intensive are all amazing teachers. i travelled there also for an hour and another friend travelled from brighton and she got an A*. you should try it. but as i said from what i have seen, those that studied all the way through and were self-motivated have done really well.

Thank you for your reply! Also was wondering if I chose to do one subject there and two subjects as private candidate... do you think they'll still provide with a reference and predicted grades (for all 3 subjects or am i asking too much of them) for UCAS application. (I just found out how much the fees are and it's too expensive for me to do all three subjects there) but I'm not really sure how I'm going to get predicted grades though, for the other two subjects. I already passed the practicals for biology and chem, so I can carry them forward and only take the exams in an exam centre as a private candidate. What I'm most worried about is where to get a good reference and predicted grades from. My previous sixth form will not give me predicted grades without mock exams (and probably no support for UCAS), and unfortunately they don't take retake students. I really want to work hard and improve my grades to apply to uni, but unfortunately with out a reference and predicted grades I wont be able to.
Reply 17
Thank you for your reply! Also was wondering if I chose to do one subject there and two subjects as private candidate... do you think they'll still provide with a reference and predicted grades (for all 3 subjects or am i asking too much of them) for UCAS application. (I just found out how much the fees are and it's too expensive for me to do all three subjects there) but I'm not really sure how I'm going to get predicted grades though, for the other two subjects. I already passed the practicals for biology and chem, so I can carry them forward and only take the exams in an exam centre as a private candidate. What I'm most worried about is where to get a good reference and predicted grades from. My previous sixth form will not give me predicted grades without mock exams (and probably no support for UCAS), and unfortunately they don't take retake students. I really want to work hard and improve my grades to apply to uni, but unfortunately with out a reference and predicted grades I wont be able to.

Hi. I am not sure to be honest. This sounds like something you should discuss with them and also if there is some help for you with the fees. Enrolment starts tomorrow so just go and ask.
Reply 18
What do you think about the school? How is it? How are the teachers? And is the school itself big?
Original post by StrafeZ
What do you think about the school? How is it? How are the teachers? And is the school itself big?

Im taking Biology Chemistry and Psychology A level at westking and I can say that firstly its a big school it has stuff like a gym too which i find cool. My biology and psychology teachers are to DIE for theyre such sweethearts but my Chemistry teachers a bit of an annoying person..cant have it all good i guess haha.. sometimes stricted teachers mean you will perform better so its not that big of a deal.. I cant lie many of the students around the school are intimidating and somewhat scary at times but if you find friends and be courageous, you will strive!

Quick Reply

Latest