The Student Room Group

Zoology 2015

Hey there! :smile:

Just figured I'd start a thread for those applying this year for uni to do a zoology degree starting september 2015.

There might be another thread out there, I just couldn't find one :3

Anyone out there also interested in zoology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi it's nice to meet another person who wants to do zoology
I've just finished AS and already started my a2's for a couple weeks before september. I am hoping to apply for a zoology course, possibly at bristol or manchester they both look really good :3
Reply 2
I've got one more exam left, and then we start the a2 courses, but we've also got work experience weeks so we'll only be learning for about two weeks.

I'm glad I've found someone else. I feel like with it being so early not many people would be around haha :smile: Manchester does look really good. I'm hoping to apply there but possibly with the year of a work placement. And then I think Exeter, Liverpool, LJMU and Bangor.

How do you feel your AS exams went? I was doing so well on the past papers but completely screwed up the exams :mad: Probably going to end up resitting some, especially biology, but hoping to still get a uni offer somewhere this year.
Reply 3
Original post by Natalie96Z
I've got one more exam left, and then we start the a2 courses, but we've also got work experience weeks so we'll only be learning for about two weeks.

I'm glad I've found someone else. I feel like with it being so early not many people would be around haha :smile: Manchester does look really good. I'm hoping to apply there but possibly with the year of a work placement. And then I think Exeter, Liverpool, LJMU and Bangor.

How do you feel your AS exams went? I was doing so well on the past papers but completely screwed up the exams :mad: Probably going to end up resitting some, especially biology, but hoping to still get a uni offer somewhere this year.

Yeah I'm technically supposed to have work experience week but I'm away on a volunteering trip so I'm thinking about trying to get some work experience in the summer if possible :smile:

All of those courses look so good, it's so difficult to decide! I have no idea how I'll get it down to 5.

I probably will end up resitting some AS exams, I'm not 100% sure how biology went, I'm hoping for the bes, as for the others, on the whole it's generally gone well but I am expecting I'll have to do some resits haha, especially in maths
Reply 4
Original post by radpanda
Yeah I'm technically supposed to have work experience week but I'm away on a volunteering trip so I'm thinking about trying to get some work experience in the summer if possible :smile:

All of the courses look so good, it's so difficult to decide! I have no idea how I'll get it down to 5.

I probably will end up resitting some AS exams, I'm not 100% sure how biology went, I'm hoping for the bes, as for the others, on the whole it's generally gone well but I am expecting I'll have to do some resits haha, especially in maths

What are you doing on your volunteering trip? :smile:

I know, I'm constantly changing my mind on what unis to apply to:') But I think I'm finally settled on those 5.

I feel like biology went the worst which is surprising since it was the one I'm most confident on. I understood all the content, just couldn't do all the data questions AQA launched our way, they're more luck than anything else :frown:

I'm hoping on not too many resits haha, but I'll definitely make sure I'm ready for a2, I really want to do zoology. I think the maths went well for me, except for core 2, that wasn't a nice exam!
Reply 5
What are you doing on your volunteering trip? :smile:

I know, I'm constantly changing my mind on what unis to apply to:') But I think I'm finally settled on those 5.

I feel like biology went the worst which is surprising since it was the one I'm most confident on. I understood all the content, just couldn't do all the data questions AQA launched our way, they're more luck than anything else :frown:

I'm hoping on not too many resits haha, but I'll definitely make sure I'm ready for a2, I really want to do zoology. I think the maths went well for me, except for core 2, that wasn't a nice exam!

The volunteering isn't really to do with zoology at all haha, It's just a little something extra to help with my personal statement. Basically between 7 people we've had to raise £4500 to go to Lourdes in France and we've got to assist people with getting around and making sure people are ok and things like that. I think it involves a lot of work with elderly people :smile:

I was wondering what exam board you were on, I'm also AQA. It did seem like a strange exam if I'm honest as if most the content didn't even show up, I hate the data questions but I never really know what the marks are for in them, so it could be either way to be honest.

Also core 1 was brilliant and statistics was not too bad but I have to agree with you about the core 2, although everyone found that hard so maybe the grade boundaries would be lowered a bit.

What other subjects do you do? Will you be dropping any subjects?
Reply 6
The volunteering isn't really to do with zoology at all haha, It's just a little something extra to help with my personal statement. Basically between 7 people we've had to raise £4500 to go to Lourdes in France and we've got to assist people with getting around and making sure people are ok and things like that. I think it involves a lot of work with elderly people :smile:

I was wondering what exam board you were on, I'm also AQA. It did seem like a strange exam if I'm honest as if most the content didn't even show up, I hate the data questions but I never really know what the marks are for in them, so it could be either way to be honest.

Also core 1 was brilliant and statistics was not too bad but I have to agree with you about the core 2, although everyone found that hard so maybe the grade boundaries would be lowered a bit.

What other subjects do you do? Will you be dropping any subjects?

Aw, that sounds good :smile: I'm going to Spain for a week in July to do work experience, but I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, we haven't received the info haha. I think I'm doing hotel or catering work there.

Yeah, that's why I was so annoyed. I knew all the content, worked so hard to understand it over the year and got hardly any questions on it. Data is such a weak point of mine :frown:

Core 1 was a great exam, I agree there! Decision maths was brilliant so at least those two will make sure core 2 doesn't pull the grade down. Aiming for a B in maths this year, would've aimed for an A if core 2 was decent haha.

I do maths and biology as you already know, then chemistry which I think I should hopefully get a B, but possibly a C in and Spanish. I didn't do brilliantly in Spanish, I'll be over the moon if I get a C :') I'm dropping Spanish though. What about you?
Reply 7
I wasn't sure that I was going to do zoology when I picked my a levels so I took ICT biology maths and English language. I'm dropping English as it is the least related to my subject and I feel ICT went really well for me. I got an a in the coursework so that should pull it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Aw, that sounds good :smile: I'm going to Spain for a week in July to do work experience, but I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, we haven't received the info haha. I think I'm doing hotel or catering work there.

Yeah, that's why I was so annoyed. I knew all the content, worked so hard to understand it over the year and got hardly any questions on it. Data is such a weak point of mine :frown:

Core 1 was a great exam, I agree there! Decision maths was brilliant so at least those two will make sure core 2 doesn't pull the grade down. Aiming for a B in maths this year, would've aimed for an A if core 2 was decent haha.

I do maths and biology as you already know, then chemistry which I think I should hopefully get a B, but possibly a C in and Spanish. I didn't do brilliantly in Spanish, I'll be over the moon if I get a C :') I'm dropping Spanish though. What about you?

I'm aiming for an A/B in ICT and probably a B in biology and maths and a C in English :smile: so I'm hoping for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm aiming for an A/B in ICT and probably a B in biology and maths and a C in English :smile: so I'm hoping for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, that's good :smile:

I'm trying to hope for the best, I just keep getting stressed about it :s-smilie: But just going to forget about it for now, I have up until august before grades become an issue anyway :smile:
Aw, that's good :smile:

I'm trying to hope for the best, I just keep getting stressed about it :s-smilie: But just going to forget about it for now, I have up until august before grades become an issue anyway :smile:

That's true and even then resits are an option if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of things are you doing for work experience? I'm currently trying to find some volunteer work/ work experience related to zoology.
Reply 12
What kind of things are you doing for work experience? I'm currently trying to find some volunteer work/ work experience related to zoology.

Ive done a week at a vets, one night a week since January at another vets. Im currently doing a week at the WWT conservation centre and next week I'm working in a museum in Spain for a week.
I wish I could do something at a zoo or a place like that but there's nothing near me. Even the wwt centre is half a hour away.
What have you done?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm hoping to do Zoology in 2015. Just hoping my AS results are good enough. Most likely will have to resit some :/ Looking at doing zoology as Exeter, Reading, Bangor and Aberystwyth (so far. Probs end up changing my mind). My other choice is Animal Science (companion and wild) at Writtle college.
How did everybody's results go? :smile:

I decided to post on here after results if they were okay because I want to apply for Zoology at Exeter, Leeds, Derby and Reading :smile:

My results definitely weren't great but hopefully should be okay for applying!
Reply 15
I'm on a gap year at the moment and just got my results for my A-Levels. For University I want to study zoology with study abroad. I really liked Newcastle and Manchester. I know Manchester offers study abroad with zoology but does anybody know if Newcastle offers it? I also like the look of Exeter and Liverpool.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I'm also going to be applying for Zoology for 2015 :smile:

I'm definitely going to be applying to Exeter (I've fallen in love with the course and the campus :biggrin:) and then maybe Bristol and Nottingham.

Not really too sure what to do for work experience, so far I have a week in a biology lab, but nothing specifically animal related.
Reply 17
I was thinking of applying for zoology because it looks great but now maybe animal behaviour and welfare as it's closer to home and I'm a bit of a home bird.... Hmm! Does anyone know of any good books to read that's can be added in to your personal statement to do with animal behaviour and welfare or zoology? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by OutAtStarlight
I'm hoping to do Zoology in 2015. Just hoping my AS results are good enough. Most likely will have to resit some :/ Looking at doing zoology as Exeter, Reading, Bangor and Aberystwyth (so far. Probs end up changing my mind). My other choice is Animal Science (companion and wild) at Writtle college.

Aw, I hope they went well! Did you get what you wanted?
I love the Exeter course so far, and the campus. It just seems so relaxed and I love a relaxed environment. But going to the open day on the 28th to see if it's how I picture it :smile:
Also hoping to apply to Bangor, but haven't really looked at the other two, don't think they're suited to me.

Both courses look good, I hope you get into it whatever it is you want to do! :smile:
Come back to the thread and keep us updated haha!
Reply 19
Original post by deeferdog
How did everybody's results go? :smile:

I decided to post on here after results if they were okay because I want to apply for Zoology at Exeter, Leeds, Derby and Reading :smile:

My results definitely weren't great but hopefully should be okay for applying!

I'm a very happy bunny with mine :smile: Got AAAD, with the D in spanish, but that subject was never really my main priority so I'm not surprised.

What did you get? If you don't mind me asking, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending