The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University and College Rugby...

Hi there,

Has anyone had an experience with either college rugby or university rugby? What's the standard? Can you do both? What do the trials involve?

Thanks
Original post by TheLionEl
Hi there,

Has anyone had an experience with either college rugby or university rugby? What's the standard? Can you do both? What do the trials involve?

Thanks

Standard depends on the college, but it's generally similar to a pretty good school team. The Uni team is very good, and this will be more for players who have county/country experience.

Unless the college team is very good, they likely won't hold demanding formal trials. The Uni trials are similar to county trails, i.e. involving a list of drills, small practice games, etc. To be honest, you'll probably already have an idea if you are good enough to play for the Uni, it's not really for school stars, the standard is semi-professional.
(edited 9 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Llewellyn
Standard depends on the college, but it's generally similar to a pretty good school team. The Uni team is very good, and this will be more for players who have county/country experience.

Unless the college team is very good, they likely won't hold demanding formal trials. The Uni trials are similar to county trails, i.e. involving a list of drills, small practice games, etc. To be honest, you'll probably already have an idea if you are good enough to play for the Uni, it's not really for school stars, the standard is semi-professional.

Would this be the same if you only aimed for the 2nd/3rd XV? I play at a really successful school but not at 1sts level and wanted to just train hard and play good rugby at uni. I understand (especially at Durham) that unless you've county/inter-provincial (if you're from N.Ireland, like me) experience, you're going to find it hard to get into the 1sts.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Would this be the same if you only aimed for the 2nd/3rd XV? I play at a really successful school but not at 1sts level and wanted to just train hard and play good rugby at uni. I understand (especially at Durham) that unless you've county/inter-provincial (if you're from N.Ireland, like me) experience, you're going to find it hard to get into the 1sts.

You're probably better off playing for the college in that case. But you never know; especially in rugby there may be a year where there aren't a lot of strong flankers at the uni and then there may be a chance for other players. If you're willing to train hard and you are already experienced you'd get onto the college teams... and in some ways that's more fun (less travelling, more banter).
Original post by Llewellyn
You're probably better off playing for the college in that case. But you never know; especially in rugby there may be a year where there aren't a lot of strong flankers at the uni and then there may be a chance for other players. If you're willing to train hard and you are already experienced you'd get onto the college teams... and in some ways that's more fun (less travelling, more banter).

I see, well I'd try anyway, I'm a prop so idk how much competition there will be haha. It looks as though there's a fresher's team (the 3/4s) so I might have a shot there...uni rugby isn't until the season after next for me anyway haha.
If there are trials are you all looked at with some equality? Or is it a case of everyone who was 1st XV captain and has played at inter-pro level getting the focus and then everyone else is sorta put off to the side?

Quick Reply

Latest