The Student Room Group

Finding the EMF, Magnetic Flux. I cannot do this question? Help.

I came across this question and I am not happy with the answer.

I find this question impossible. Please help me. :frown:

I don't know if this is an invalid question because I find it difficult, but if it is possible, please enlighten me. Thank you.

Can you solve it? Thank you.

(edited 9 years ago)
This would make a great conversation in a pub.

But a tough question indeed, what exam board is this? I couldn't solve it mathematically so I'll try to revise some magnetic stuff and try again.

EDIT: Just found this question on antonine-eduction. Before it gives you the formula ϵ=NvwB, where N is a number of turns, w is width, v is velocity and B is magnetic field strength \epsilon = NvwB \text{, where N is a number of turns, w is width, v is velocity and B is magnetic field strength} . N = 1 as you can treat water as one wire. You are also given B and w (for the latter look at the pipe from above). The tricky bit is to get velocity, for this think about volume of water flowing each second and its cross-section area.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JerzyDudek
This would make a great conversation in a pub.

But a tough question indeed, what exam board is this? I couldn't solve it mathematically so I'll try to revise some magnetic stuff and try again.

There is a solution but I disagree with it since the length multiplied by its diameter is surely not the area.

No exam board, just a question made by someone.

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_4/Magnetism/MAG_05/answer_to_question_3.htm
Original post by Sayonara
I came across this question and I am not happy with the answer.

I find this question impossible. Please help me. :frown:

I don't know if this is an invalid question because I find it difficult, but if it is possible, please enlighten me. Thank you.

Can you solve it? Thank you.

Area = pi(17.5x10^-2)^2
Rate = 0.4

Rate / Area = velocity
= 4.16 ms^-1

B=5x10^-3

emf = Blv

= 0.11 V

Not sure though.

yeah nevermind after looking at the answer LOL.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is a solution but I disagree with it since the length multiplied by its diameter is surely not the area.

No exam board, just a question made by someone.

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_4/Magnetism/MAG_05/answer_to_question_3.htm

Sorry, didn't see this post before editing my previous one.

The volume of the cylinder is
pr2l = 0.4 m3

Are you talking about this? pr2 is obviously the area and l is the length of the cylinder of water that would flow in one second. Multiply them together and you get the volume which you are given. Think about it like this: imagine you have an empty pipe and you let water flow in it for exactly one second. Then you want to find the length of water in your pipe.
Reply 5
Sorry, didn't see this post before editing my previous one.

The volume of the cylinder is
pr2l = 0.4 m3

Are you talking about this? pr2 is obviously the area and l is the length of the cylinder of water that would flow in one second. Multiply them together and you get the volume which you are given. Think about it like this: imagine you have an empty pipe and you let water flow in it for exactly one second. Then you want to find the length of water in your pipe.

I agreed with the mark scheme up until it multiplied the length by "0.35".
I agreed with the mark scheme up until it multiplied the length by "0.35".

The pipe is circular is its width is always equal to the diameter: w = 0.35. And then it's just subbing in into emf = vwB. This is the first time I saw a question like this since I'm doing AQA but this follows from what it says in the notes.
Reply 7
The pipe is circular is its width is always equal to the diameter: w = 0.35. And then it's just subbing in into emf = vwB. This is the first time I saw a question like this since I'm doing AQA but this follows from what it says in the notes.

Ah, I get it now. I was thinking about the area of the circle when I should've been thinking about the other area. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the enlightment.
Ah, I get it now. I was thinking about the area of the circle when I should've been thinking about the other area. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the enlightment.

Thank you too. Some good practice before tomorrow's exam.

Quick Reply

Latest