The Student Room Group

Primary teaching requirements

Hello,

Is a GCSE grade C a necessity or is this just to get on a PGCE primary course?

I'm starting my PGCE (secondary) in September.
Once qualified, I then want to teach in secondary but would like to have the requirements needed to teach in primary just in case for the future.
After achieving my QTS/PGCE can I teach in primary or would I still need my GCSE in science?
I'm just trying to work out if it's beneficial for me to do a GCSE Science course or not?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by PGCE student
Hello,

Is a GCSE grade C a necessity or is this just to get on a PGCE primary course?

I'm starting my PGCE (secondary) in September.
Once qualified, I then want to teach in secondary but would like to have the requirements needed to teach in primary just in case for the future.
After achieving my QTS/PGCE can I teach in primary or would I still need my GCSE in science?
I'm just trying to work out if it's beneficial for me to do a GCSE Science course or not?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I found this which might help:

If you have trained (i.e. by PGCE, B.Ed, etc.) to teach in the maintained sector in England and Wales, then you almost certainly have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). QTS is a permanent status which qualifies you to teach in any maintained school in England and Wales. That means that whatever age phase you trained for (3-7, Primary, Key Stage 2, Secondary, etc.), you are already qualified to change phase. The main exception to this is those people who have trained only for post-16 teaching (i.e. PGCE FE) who will need to obtain QTS before changing to teach in maintained secondary schools.
Secondary teachers wishing to transfer to Primary are eligible to apply for jobs in the primary sector. You will, however, need to demonstrate your ability to teach a broader range of subjects than is normally expected of Secondary teachers. Also, you will need to be familiar with current approaches in primary schools, including the effects of the Primary Strategy, and the Numeracy and Literacy frameworks.
It may help your move to Secondary to involve yourself in transition work relating to the Y6/7 transfer, and communicating with the receiving Secondaries at your school. If you are able, you may consider seeking supply work in the Primary sector to gain experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending